Chapter 8

Will I Ever?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

I told Eunbi she can sleep in my room while I'll crash in the sofa bed in my office / game room. I'm used to sleeping there anyway especially when I'm burning the midnight oil, so it's no big deal. 

 

I lie awake in my makeshift bed remembering all the wonderful times, the good memories we had together. I tried to justify that everyone makes mistakes and that maybe I shouldn’t hold it against her so harshly. Maybe giving her another chance could be the start of something great for both of us.

 

Yet in my gut, I know that it’s not really about that, is it? It’s not about whether people can change, or whether we are obligated to give them another try at showing how much they love us. If this was a month ago I would be jumping in joy, but the situation is very much different now.  

 

It been more than an hour or so but no matter how much I tried I can't seem to get myself to sleep. I decided to get up and wandered outside my office. I unconsciously stopped when I passed by my bedroom door where Eunbi is sleeping. I just stood there and stared at the closed door, unsure of what to do. I was about to walk away when the door slipped open. 

 

"Sakura?"

 

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you." 

 

"No it's okay. I couldn't sleep."

 

"Me too."

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah. There's just a lot of things on my mind right now." 

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make things hard for you." 

 

"I know. It's just that, a lot of things had happened and my mind is a mess." 

 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" 

 

I hesitated for a moment, then I thought it would be better if get this out of my chest. I swallowed the lump on my throat and continued. 

 

"When I confessed to you and you told me to stop liking you because I was just confused, I was... I don't know.... sad, angry, depressed, dejected, disappointed; pick any because I was all of it. Eventually I figured out that there wasn't anything I could do about how you felt.... so I let you go." 

 

"I'm sorry you have to go through that. We were friends Kkura, maybe we could have been more but I didn't let that happen. I wish I did and that's why I'm here." 

 

"I'm sorry you had a change of heart, but you can't just jump out of someone's life and expect them to wait around for the off-chance that you'll jump back in." 

 

"I know that, but I'm still hoping you would consider everything that I said earlier. We were friends before anything else and I don't want you to rush into something because you were hurt. Please promise me you'll atleast think about it." 

 

I sighed and said, "I will and I appreciate you coming here and letting me know."

 

"Anything for you."

 

"We should go back to sleep. Good night unnie." 

 

She threw her arms around my neck and hugged me. It happened so quickly and was all too brief. Then she gave me a light peck on my cheek and whispered, "Good night Kkura." 

 

-

 

The following day I woke up alone in my apartment. I wonder if last night was just a dream and then I found a piece of paper, neatly folded on the kitchen counter. It was a letter from Eunbi. 

 

Sakura, 

I'm sorry for barging into your house unannounced and leaving without saying goodbye. I know it's selfish but I think it's better this way. I've left you with a lot of things to think about and I'm gonna give you all the time you need. 

I'm sorry for cluttering your mind as to how someone who claimed to care, could hurt you. I got defensive and resented you for speaking up your feelings, so you never tried again.

I’m sorry that I didn't make you feel understood. I am your friend and I should've been more sensitive. 

I’m sorry I left the small th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter