II. Begin Again

Chasing the Thief

The second chapter is up. Sorry if it took some time. I am quite busy with my academics :-)

~~~~~

"Am..." Luna called. They are on a restaurant eating their dinner which Luna had promised to Amber and ever since they stepped in---no, ever since this morning, Amber is not on her usual self. Luna would find her staring at nothing and sometimes hearing her cursing herself. What's worst is that, she's even telling Luna to prepare her because she's definitely going to kick it. 

"Am..."

*kick*

"Ouch! What was that for?!" Amber hissed at Luna while caressing her shin that was been kicked by her so loving best friend. 

"Serves you right... " She makes face to Amber before continuing, "I've been calling you for how many times already. " Luna then gave a pout, which Amber dismisses by making her eat a slice of cucumber that's been left untouched on her plate.

"Really Am, what's wrong with you these days?" After joking around for some time Luna found a great timing to ask her friend about this one question she's been dying to ask. She concernly looked at her friend and it's evident on Amber's face that she's contemplating if she should tell Luna about it. It seems like Luna can read her mind when she reassuringly put her hand atop on the latter's hand, squeezing it comfortingly. 

"She's back. "

"The who? " Luna squint her eyes trying to recall some woman in Amber's life. There's only two of them. First,  her girlfriend in college and that doctor whom she ghosted. So which is which? 

"Wait, don't tell me it's your ex! "

"Of course not, we talked about everything already so I am not going to act like this if it's her. "

"Can you please just tell me already. You know that I don't want to get worked up on things like this." Luna begged. 

"Fine... " Amber started. She took a deep breath before continuing, "Remember my first crush? The one I told you I have a crush---"

"OMG, Am! Don't tell me you've met her again? Oh God! Here comes a head over heels Amber again." Luna rolled her eyes. It's not a lie when everytime Amber meet that girl again, she's going to have a crush on her. It's like she's been chained to that person ever since then. 

Amber immediately countered Luna, "Of course not! I have moved on from her already! " 

"Eyy! Okay, I'll just preted I didn't  hear you saying that. Do you really think I would believe you? "

"Of course, you are my friend and friends don't lie to each other. "

"Hell no Amber! And don't use that friend card because we both know that ain't gonna work. " Smirking Luna then sipped on her lemonade and soon gestured for Amber to continue on which Amber returned with a rolling of her eyes. 

"So yeah, you're right---"

"See?! You still like her after all these years so don't  even try to save your ! " Luna almost rappingly stated while sipping coolly on her drink. 

"Let me finish Lun! It's not about it I am going to talk about first! " Amber find her voice starting to grew a hitch because of her friend's stubborness. 

"You are right on the hunch that we have met again. "

"Oh my gosh! Where? When? How? Who? Oh, the last one is kind of off because I know who it---"

Amber rub her hands on her face due to frustrations. She cannot even finish a sentence without being interrupted by the dummy in front of her. And now she's thinking that her telling Luna about Krystal was a bad idea to begin with. 

"Lun, open your mouth. " Amber calmly asked on which the latter foolishly obliged and soon Luna found herself trying to fit in five cucumber slices on . 

"Don't you dare throw those out or I am going to stop talking. " Amber warned when she saw Luna's going to let those out of . On the other hand, the latter's been trying her best to grind everything but she knew it was such a futile action when she cannot even move her jaw due to it. 

Luna slapped Amber's hand painfully as a sign to say everything to her in a fast manner. After some teasings, Amber continued talking. She poured everything out to Luna from what happened to the ground floor up to the floor of the cardiology department and to one of her dumbest moments with her. 

"Hey Am, you dropped this. "

Amber stopped on her tracks and after turning to face the young doctor, she cursed her own self again. 

'How can you be so dumb Amber! '

She immediately rushed to Krystal and grabbed the medicines on her hand but even before she can successfully do it, she tripped on an imaginary rock on the tiled floor. Just like the cliche scenes on movies or dramas when the two main leads would meet for the first time. Just this time it's herself she's embarassing. 

"Ouch! " two voices screamed at the same time. Amber rubbed her forehead still oblivious to the fact that she's atop Krystal and their faces were just inches away. Looking down finally she almost find herself screaming again if not for her inner self telling her to keep her cool despite her heart going haywire. Indeed, tested and proven that she's still the only girl that can make Amber feel like she's still on the first quarter of her life, like she's a teenage girl having a huge crush on someone again and again. Krystal's still the girl who can sweep her off of her feet without even trying hard to do so. She's still the girl who can make Amber feel  thousand of  different emotions at the same time just by looking at her. She's still the Krystal whom Amber fell in love with when she was twelve. She's the thief that stole her heart ever since then and she knew that she's forever be chained to that truth until her feelings for the latter will be let out. Until that wouldn't happen, she's forever chasing Krystal because of it. 

After realizing that she's been staring at her for quite some time Amber abruptly stood up brushing the invisible dirt on her clothes. 

She grabbed the paper bag on Krystal's hand. She dashed out after that. "Th-thank you for this! Bye! "  

"Am! That's a dead end. Only a fire exit " Krystal innoncently informed but Amber can tell in her eyes that anytime she's going to burst out in laughter. 

She was stopped on her tracks for the umpteenth time by Krystal calling out her nickname and her being on her foolish self. 

"Ah, Ye-yeah. I was just looking for something. I mean someone. Yeah, that's right " she sheepishly reasoned out trying to look for a way out. Upon seeing a door, she rushed unto it without even looking at any sign.

"That's  a comfort room... "

"Yeah I know, I am going to use it " Turning the handle she went inside. 

"For boys."  Krystal lowly muttered. 

"Krys! You're late already! Why are you standing over there? " Victoria called her out. Gesturing for her to follow the latter immediately. 

On the other hand...

"Promise! I ain't  going to look! Just for some time. " Amber said covering her two eyes. She look again outside and she let out a sigh of relief when Krystal's gone already. 

"Get out already, this is not a place for you not until you have that thing hanging on your legs already. "

'What the hell he's talking about?! '

~~~~~

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD AMBER!..." Luna almost rolled on the floor laughing due to her friend's misfortune. She is currently clutching her aching stomach because of excessive laugh and anytime she can feel that tears will start to roll out of her eyes. 

"How can you be so unlucky in a day? "Her friend continue to laugh. 

She just watched Luna laugh for about five minutes before smacking her on the head. 

"Happy? "

"Of course AHAHAHAHA" Luna teasingly replied. 

"Kidding aside Lun. What should I do? "

"Just go with the flow. I thought you have already moved on from her. " She smirked on the latter who bowed her head down immediately, trying her best to avoid Luna's amused eyes because of how she acted today. 

"Fine. I still like her. A lot. If the way I act awhile ago isn't enough to speak about that fact then I don't know anymore. " Amber frustratingly sighed. She then faceplamed, trying to calm herself. 

Luna did some victory dance before being on her serious mode, "What do you want to happen between the two of you Am? "

"I don't know. "

"Do you want to be together with her? "

"That's impossible. "

"Or do you want confess? "

"I don't  think I can. " She dejectedly uttered. 

"Find out first what do you want to happen. Then let's start with that. Okay? " 

"For now just go with the flow. " Luna beamed her an eye smile which calms the latter. 

"Thanks Lun. I don't think I can calm like this without you. "

~~~~~~

For the next two weeks, Amber did not caught a glimpse of the younger Jung again. She does not know on she should be happy or not with it. She's been longing to see Krystal but at the same time she's kind of afraid on how she will act in front of the latter again. There  is a high chance that she will act dumb again knowing the effect of the young doctor on her. 

"Good evening, Doc Krystal. " Luna on Amber's side bowed politely. Amber jumped out on the sudden mention of the doctor's name. She frozed on her spot but soon turned around upon recovering to the shock. 

She also bowed (almost a 90 degree), "Good evening Doc Jung. " she muttered without looking forward. 

After some time, Luna burst out laughing. And that's the time Amber knew that Luna's been fooling her again. It's not a new occurence because ever since that day on the restaurant her friend's been fooling and teasing her about Krystal. Amber's  used to it already and she's already tired in scolding and kicking Luna's . 

"It's your third time for today Lun. Stop it already." Amber sternly said. 

They continue to walked on the hospital's corridors as they go to each department to conduct an inventory. It's not inlcluded on their job specification but it's an extra income so they have shouldered this work also. And they are enjoying it especially Amber since she knew that once she's hired on a company she can use this experience. 

It's  going to be their last stop and Amber's  been more nervous on this one because it's on cardio department. 

They are currently counting and checking some supplies when Luna spoke again about the young doctor. 

"Good evening Doc Jung. " She repeated. Amber just rolled her eyes and resume to what she is doing. 

"29, 30, 31..."

Luna poke her shoulder trying to gain her attention, "Am... " 

"Stop it Luna. I am not going to fall for it again. "

"32, 33, 34 boxes. " she counted until the last box on the shelf. 

"It's 34 boxes Lun. Write it down. " As soon as she turned around Krystal's face was what welcomed her. 

"Oh sheezzz! You scared me Krys! " She voiced out while clutching her chest. 

'Just when will this unluckiness stop?! '

"I m-mean Doctor Jung. " Krystal just watched her as she tried to collect her thoughts. 

"Good evening by the way, Doc Jung. " she finally greeted and this time it's real, not a product of Luna's  antics. 

Speaking of Luna, Amber saw her squeezing herself between Krystal's body and the door. Trying her best to walk out the room. Amber's eyes been screaming to help her but Luna just sheepishly smiled and wink at her after excusing herself to go to the comfort room, taking all the materials they brought. That only meant one thing, Amber does not have a choice anymore but to face Krystal. 

"You still have things to do? "Krystal asked.

"Y-yes I mean No! " 

"I mean nothing already. We have finished everything for today. " Amber clarified. 

"That's good. Can we catch up? I knew a cafe nearby. "

"I don't  like crowded places that much." Truthfully, Amber have already conquered her fear of being with the crowd, what she's worried of, is that, what if she'll make mistakes in front of Krystal and in front of a lot of people. She's not ready yet for that next level of embarassment.

"Maybe next time then. That cafe is crowded on the evening so yeah, see you around." 

Krystal's going to get out of the room but Amber beat her to it by holding her right arm,  which prevented the latter to fully go out of the room. 

"I know a place. " 

~~~~~

Careful steps were made as she climb up some stairs while holding cans of frozen coffee and some beer. A weird combination but it's the only thing she have found on the hospital's vendo machine. She initially opt to go to the nearby cafe to order some drinks but then Krystal just suggested this one so that it would not be such a hassle on her going back and forth. 

After opening the rooftop's door what welcomed her was the scenery of Krystal looking out on the vast city night, with her long shiny hair getting blown away by the wind. Such a magnificent sight for this perfect night. But it was short-lived as the opening of the door created a sound which made Amber's presence known. Krystal let out a small smile and proceeded to sit on one the benches. 

"W-wait. " Amber abruptly stop her from sitting. She then retrieve her handkerchief on one of her pockets after passing Krystal some of the drinks. She flattened it out on Krystal's seat. 

"Thanks. I still have duty until midnight. " 

"No problem. Thank my instincts then. " 

After quite some time of a complete silence, Amber finally found her voice to let out some words,  "How's life? " Amber casually asked. Although she may seem calm outside but the truth is she felt like she's going to burst out soon. Imagine, your long time crush is sitting beside you with all the stars as the witnesses of this very moment. Just inches away from each other. Finally, she's within reach for Amber. But, she's close yet so far. 

Krystal let out a little laugh before answering, "Same old, same old. Boring and with only the hospital equipments and patients I am seeing. Yours? "

"Same. A monotonous one. But not as busy as yours though. " 

"By the way, what's your work here? "

That one question shut Amber up. Here comes again the feeling of being such a disappointment. 

"What's the job of your daughter Mrs. Lui? "

"Oh her, she's cashier on a hospital's pharmacy. "

"I thought she have finished the four year course of Accountancy? She should be in a bank or in an accounting firm by now. "

"Should be. But sadly she didn't pass the board exam..." Her mother then diverted the topic. 

That's the one topic they all find uncomfortable to deal with, her job. 

Amber let out an airy laugh trying to mask her dejected expression after telling Krystal her work which also shut the latter up "Such a disappointment right? "

"Of course not. It's a decent job Am. There's nothing wrong with it. "

"A decent job indeed but it's not worth the time I have spent in college. If only I have passed that board exam. " She then gulped a whole can of beer without pausing. 

"There's always a reason for everything. Maybe the time's not on the first try but maybe things will work out on the second. " Krystal beamed her a smile while patting her back trying to comfort her. 

"Just think of things you will not encounter if you have passed that board exam. "

"Hmmm... " She tried to recall people or happenings. 

"I will not meet my best friend Luna. "

"See? There's always a good thing in everything! "

"Enumerate more. " The young doctor encouraged as soon as she saw Amber smiled again.

"I still wouldn't know probably which medicine is effective for my headache, fever and such. Luna also taught me those haha. "

Amber enumerated more until she went down the last positive thing she could think of. 

"And lastly I would not going to meet you again, Krys. " She seriously stated while looking straight at the latter's eyes. 

Amber found the answer on Luna's question on what she wants to happen. 

'I want to begin again. This time... with you.' 

~~~~~

A/N: Sorry for the slow updates. what do you think about this chapter? I don't have any motivation to update this one. I am still contemplating if it's good enough to continue but I have found my pace lately. Sooo, stay tuned y'all ;-)