III. Fearless

Chasing the Thief

"How's your night out with Doc Jung? " Luna teasingly asked as soon as she set her foot on the pharmacy. With Amber beaming her a smile, the latter knew that it went well. 

"So it went well? " Amber just hummed in response. "Just how well did it went well? " 

"Shut up, Lun. " Amber countered while arranging some of the misplaced medicine boxes. 

"Does the word 'well' involves the two of you kissing?" She continued to tease. She then laughed out loud when Amber sent her a glare. 

"Nothing happened. We just catch up on things. That's all. " 

"Catching up and catching feelings. Way to go, Amber. " With one last remark, Luna soon attended to their first customer of the day. 

Amber just shook her head on her friend's antics. And she is sure that she'll get it more, now that Luna knew about the girl. 

~~~~~

It was her tenth time glancing at her phone for the past few minutes. Amber was contemplating if she should send her a text. Before parting the other night, they have exchanged numbers. It was probably their pride working or Amber's pride taking over her because she's sure that their reasons on why they didn't send the other a text yet, was different. Krystal was probably busy with her work, so it's just Amber's pride in the end... or her nervousness or she just doesn't know what to say to begin with. 

An ounce of courage took a toll on her after some time. 

'Hi. How are you? ' too plain. Erased. 

'Have a nice day, Doc Jung! ' too formal. Erased. 

'Have you eaten yet? Make sure to eat your lunch :)' too gross and aggressive. Er---

"What are you doing?! " Luna teasingly exclaimed playfully behind her. Scaring the hell out of her. 

Sent. 

What the f***!

"I'll kill you, you small megaphone! " Amber threathens the girl. Luna on the other hand, eventhough she doesn't have a clue on what's going on, immediately sprint around. Amber was fuming inside and out of embarassment while chasing her small friend. She have promised to herself to kick Luna's and this time she totally mean it. 

Beep. 

One message recieved. 

'I already ate. You too Am, enjoy your lunch' 

She smiled as she has read the reply. Dropping the broom on her other hand. She typed something in return. 

Kicking Luna's seems forgotten. Again. 

~~~~~

"It's so tiring. " Luna whined after a long day of shift. It took all of her remaining strength to agree with it. 

Their walked to the bus stop halted as a familiar figure came into view. Meters away from them was Krystal standing and she seems waiting for someone with the way she continuosly looked at her watch. 

Amber frozed on her spot, she was taking in the beauty of a stressed out Krystal with her lab gown on her arms and her sling bag hanging loosely on her right shoulder. Her messy bun adding beauty to the already perfect her. Stars really seem to align  with her perfect features. They all seem to be sculpted to form the most stunning being whether she's dolled up or tired and stressed out. Amber will surely admire her. But still from a far. She smiled bitterly at the last thought. 

"It is Doc Jung, Am. Why won't you say hi for a while. " She scoffed because obviously Amber knew that it's Krystal. Luna then grabbed her hand as she walked excitedly to the standing figure. 

For the second time, they halted. A car stopped in front of the waiting girl. Krystal then beamed a huge smile at whoever was driving as soon as the window rolled down. A man on his working suit immediately run to the opposite side and opened the door for her. 

Amber's heart was undeniably clenching at the sight. Well, she still seems out of her league. And now, a successful man as her competition to the girl's heart. Of course, surely, and with no second thought, Krystal would prefer this well-rounded guy. 

They waited for the said car to disappear from their sight before they started walking again. Luna can feel the gloomy aura that her friend emitted, it feels like it surrounded the whole place from a hundred meter radius.

Amber became so quiet and she doesn't know how to comfort the other girl so she just opt to keep shut in order to give the latter a time to organize her thoughts, she's sure that Amber is overthinking everything again. She just listened to every sigh her friend was letting out. Losing count of it and getting tired to witness the latter's dejected mood, Luna throw her arms playfully on Amber's shoulder while uttering the words, "Well it's the modern era so personal drivers should wear that kind of suit. " it was accompanied by a chuckle from Luna who really tried her might for it not to sound too fake. But judging on Amber's face, she knew that that latter can clearly sense that it was ungenuinely let out. 

"They seem close. " 

"It's understandable Am, who wouldn't? When he's driving her to and from work. " She tried reasoning again playfully. Luna should be awarded the 'Best Friend of the Year' award due to the act she's pulling right now. Amber can agree with that. 

"Aish..." Luna trailed off and cupped her friend's cheeks with her small hands. It was truly evident that what have transpired a while ago have scratched the latter's self-esteem. And whenever Amber feels like that, Luna promised to herself to cheer the girl always. That's what friends are for. 

"Let's just drink this away! A friend's night out after a tiring day. " She beamed enthusiastically while dragging her friend to a nearby resto, throwing at the back of her head the portion of her monthly salary to be wasted due to Amber's first heart-aching experience after reuniting again with her long-time crush. 

~~~~~

"So you get back with Kai? " Victoria asked Krystal immediately. 

"When did the two of us get in a relationship? " The girl sarcastically asked.  

"A glass of martini please. " Krystal coldly spat at the bartender. 

"Mine's a tequila. " Victoria said while letting out a small smile to somehow ease the bartender's nervousness with Krystal's cold demeanor. Well, she's not called an ice princess during their college years for nothing. 

"How come he's been all around you again? "

"I don't know. He's a good company so yeah I'll just hang out again with him for a bit. "

"And that hanging out involves him getting his way with you? " Victoria sternly asked and that one question have turned the latter's mood down. 

"I'm past that pace Vic. You of all people should know that. " 

The older girl eyed her seriously, readying a paragraph of her scolding the younger one. She would not let Krystal be her old self again. Always partying, hooking up with guys and doesn't have any direction in life. 

"I know, it's just---" 

Ring... Ring... Ring... 

Krystal immediately looked at the caller ID. Silently thanking whoever this bastard is. Victoria's scolding is annoying sometimes. 

Amber calling...

"Who's Amber? " Victoria mouthed at her as she contemplated whether to answer the call or not. 

"Amber Liu. You remember that boyish girl in elementary? That's her. "

"Oh okay. Wait--- the Amber Liu whom had a crush on you?! " the older one exclaimed. 

"That's what others say but it was never confirmed. Besides, it's been years already. " 

"Never confirmed my . She's obviously into you. "

"Again. I repeat it's been years already. " 

"I remembered that one gift she has given to you on your birthday. " 

Flashback

Krystal was surrounded by her classmates. Others were wishing her a happy birthday while some were giving her gifts. She really likes it when it's her birthday. She seems favored, all were kind to her and not to mention she feels like she can do everything she wants. Krystal just politely expressed her gratitued towards them by saying a simple 'thank you' but she gets extra clingy with her close friends. Hugging them and sometimes kissing their cheeks while saying those two words. 

Amidst the little chaos, a certain figure was standing not too far to the small crowd of people trying to impress the girl. Some were known to be her admirers. Continuously showering her with praises and material things. Amber tightened her grip on the second hand album she have bought of Krystal's favorite artist accompanied by a simple card. Compared to the other boys' gifts, surely Krystal will pay little to no attention with hers. 

"Thank you, Am. "

That's what she heard Krystal uttered after turning around. At least, Amber got to see that small smile adorning her face upon seeing her gift. And she's already contented with that. 

End of Flashback

"That's kind of thoughtful Vic. "

"I didn't say anything Krys. I just said I remembered her gift. " She feigned ignorance but it was clear on her tone that she meant the other way around. 

"Yeah right. Says the one who laughed upon seeing Amber's 'To My Special Friend on Your Birthday' note. " She smirked at the latter while gulping her drink. Victoria chuckled lightly at the accusation. 

"Special can mean a lot Krys. Special friend that is. If I wouldn't know, what she really meant by the word special was crazy, out of this world or something abnormal, you know. " The older countered. She imitated Krystal's actions, smirking as she downed her own drink. 

"Shut up. Another glass, please. " 

Upon hearing another buzzed Victoria then inquired, "You wouldn't answer it? " Krystal dismissed the older girl, busy scanning the surroundings this time. Bodies were on the floor, dancing their hearts out. Some were already making out on the corner. Krystal scoffed at them. Reminiscing briefly that she's once in their position. 

"Let it be for a while." 

"Speaking of Amber, how did the two of you meet again? "

"At the hospital. She's a staff in the pharmacy. " Krystal simply stated. 

"Oh, I didn't know she's also interested on the medical field." Krystal just hummed in response. She's not into spilling someone's whereabouts after all. For her, it's kinda bull how others can speak everything about someone else's life. It was not called other's life for no reason. 

"I'm going to visit her sometime. " 

"Shut up. I've heard you have the hots for the pharmacist there. After teasing Amber, now, you're going to use her? How nice of you Vic. " Krystal teased. 

Victoria just sheepishly smiled at her. 

"You sounded like a concern girlfriend over there. Why won't you just answer your GIRLFRIEND'S call. Having a lover's quarrel? " Krystal was so close to smacking the older one not even liking the latter's emphasis on the word 'girlfriend' even a bit . Just one last teasing and surely Victoria will get it from her. 

With one last glance and a sigh, she answered the call. 

"Hey Am---" She was cut off by Amber's loud clapping. 

"You've answered! Hehe... "

What the? Is she drunk calling me?! 

"God, you're just embarassing yourself Amber. " she heard another voice called. Probably stealing the phone out of the latter's hand due to some shuffling on the other side. 

"I'm not Luna..." Amber trailed off. 

'Vic, she's with someone' Krystal mouthed to the girl beside her. The latter then signaled for her to put the call on loudspeaker on which she immediately obliged. 

"Hey, Krystal. You're Krystal right? Yah! Answer me!" Amber slurred. Victoria let out a laugh at those words. She cannot believe that someone can shout at Krystal. Well, aside from her parents and the older residents at the hospital. 

"Yeah, it's me Am." 

"I have a secret to tell you K-Krystal hahaha. But don't t-tell it to Krystal. Oh wait- you have the same name hahaha. " They can hear Amber clapping on her silliness again and can even hear the other girl telling Amber that she's going to regret it. But later on heard the said girl excusing herself to the bathroom. 

Feeling like Amber doesn't have a plan to continue with what she's saying, she then asked, "What are you going to tell to Krystal, Amber? " 

"I'm going to tell her that she's--- she's be-beautiful. Yeah, that's right! Krystal is sooo beautiful. " With the words being uttered, cat got her tongue. Well, what would you reply to a drunk girl confessing to you that you're beautiful?

"She's also kind now."

"Now? "

"Yeah, because she's not that kind back then hehe. " Victoria then laughed loudly at that. Krystal just glared in return. She's now regretting her decision to pick up Amber's call. 

"Wa-wait. There's more! Krystal is hmmmm... I don't have any beautiful words to describe her anymore hehe. " Krystal can imagine Amber's stupid grin on the other line. Stupid Amber. Stupid Amber's mouth. 

She's going to end the call when Amber speak again. Seriousness was now evident on her voice. 

"Krystal is moody. " Victoria nod at that. 

"She's sometimes snob. " A nod again from her friend. 

Krystal should have end the call but there's something in her that wants to know what others think of her. Although Amber's just identifying her bad sides. Have a crush on me my . She scoffed. 

"She easily get irritated over small things. " a nod again. 

Why does she can keep saying things straight with all these words?! So if it comes to my bad side, she's not drunk? 

"She's sometimes over-reacting. " that earned a thumbs up from Victoria. 

That's it. I'm going to end this---

"But here's the shocking part..." Amber trailed off. Krystal promised that another negative comment from Amber, she's really going to hung up on her. 

.

.

.

.

.

"I still like her despite all of that hehe. " 

Krystal froze on her spot and even Victoria, her glass stopped midway from being on her lips. It's not her first time to get confessed at. Heck, she got an ample of that ever since but there's something on this particular confession that shook something on her, even her heart is somehow beating erratically. But maybe that's the drink taking its effect on her. Yeah, the drink. She tried to convince herself. 

She then immediately ended the call although that action was already overdue. 

"Now it's confirmed. " Victoria uttered upon recovering from the mini shock. 

Krystal just stay mummed. A shot after shot after shot. The older one on the other hand, just observed her every move. 

"What are you going to do with her Krys? " 

"Nothing in particular. Should I do something? " 

Victoria just shrugged, fully aware that the younger girl was just keeping her cool. 

"I'll just play along with her like how I have done the past few encounters. She does think that I'm now kind so let's live up to that new impression. " Krystal uttered while smirking. But after uttering those words, she's left thinking if she's making Victoria believe that or... herself. 

 

To be continued...

 

A/N: Hey! I'm back!  I'm so sorry if it took me awhile to update this one. School has been really really really hectic :((( But I promise to finish this story before my summer classes start :)

PS. How was it? Please feel free to comment your thoughts. I will really appreciate it if you'll leave one hehe. Lovelots 💕