IV. Cruel Summer

Chasing the Thief

A zombie-like walking figure can be seen dragging her tired and aching body on a chilly morning. She can even feel how a throbbing pain is slowly boring holes on almost every area of her head. Amber let out a huge sigh every once in a while hoping that those let out of breaths can somehow ease the pain she's feeling. But it seems futile. 

Anyone would just opt to stay at home. Binge-watch movies or anything until her aching head will eventually subside. But Amber's not anyone especially if she's a friend with a midget named Luna. Earlier this morning, she was woken up by a loud ringing on her cellphone and she dreaded the time that she picked up the call, it only escalated the pain she's feeling on her head as Luna's loud voice reverberated on her ears. She grimaced upon hearing her friend's loud nagging voice. 

"Yah! Don't you dare be absent today Amber! I'll make you pay the bill yesterday! " Luna doesn't even bid her a goodbye before she hung up on the call. Huffing in annoyance she then dragged her almost lifeless body out of her bed. Yeah, that's right. She doesn't have a choice but to be on duty despite her aching head, body and maybe a little her aching heart. 

Amber let out a relieved sigh as she stood finally in front of the hospital and in front of Krystal, just a few meters and she can finally sit.

Wait. Krystal? 

After a few seconds of staring competition, it was the first time that it's Krystal who first break away from it. Amber can feel the awkwardness between them and she doesn't have a clue on where did this mood came from to begin with. 

Without much thought she let out a small smile and greeted the young doctor, "Hi Krys. " but it was rely by a nod coming from the latter before she abruptly went back inside. Amber  just confusedly stared at her back while scratching her nape as she wondered what was going on Krystal's mind. Why would she immediately turned around after spotting her?

What's wrong with her?  

After turning around the corner, Krystal halted her steps upon a sudden realization. 

Wait. Amber should be the one running away from her and not the other way around. Right? 

~~~~~

Upon entering the hospital's pharmacy, Luna's busy self was what welcomed her. Her friend counting and arranging the boxes of medicines was not a new sight but now she's quiet annoyed by the sight of it. If Luna can do well without her today then she might just as well let her take her rest for today but she opt to do otherwise. 

"Drink this, you stupid Llama. " Luna uttered as she threw some painkillers on her hand. 

"If you're that concerned, you should have not called early in the morning telling me---no, blackmailing me to go to work." Amber scoffed but still drank the tablets. 

"N-no Lun! I'm just joking! " She immediately said as soon as she witnessed that her friend is holding a broom while muttering that she's going to kill her. 

"Oh? You're just joking? I didn't know you can joke like this when you have called Krystal yesterday. " Luna nonchalantly uttered like those words do not have any weight to Amber. 

It's like her world stopped upon hearing those words. She continued to look at Luna, still processing the newly found information. After a while, it seems like a lightbulb was placed atop her head upon the realization. Now, she knew why Krystal has acted that way earlier this morning. And Amber doesn't know if it's a good thing or not but one thing's for sure what Luna has said is grounded on something by what have transpired a few hours back. 

Gripping her friend's collar she exaggeratingly said, "W-what? I called Krystal yesterday? What did I say? Do I make a fool out of myself again? Do I look stupid? " 

When Luna just shrugged she tightened her grip while looking at her seriously, trying to intimidate the latter to say something. 

"Fine... " with that Amber listened attentively. 
After a while of staring at each other...

"I don't know. But surely you look like a fool. And Amber you're always stupid. " the one in question uttered teasingly while trying to remove Amber's grip. 

If looks could kill Luna would be already lying 6th feet below the ground by how Amber's sharp eyes are looking at her angrily. 

"What do you mean by you don't know?! Are you kidding me?! You should know Luna because you're there! " 

"You're there also. "

"I'm drunk! "

"You're the one who called. " 

"I'm---yeah, you're right. I am the one who called her---" Amber stupidly said after realizing that Luna was right on that one. But still. 

"Then you should know what you have said. " Luna replied after removing Amber's tight grip on her. 
Amber sighed angrily and facepalmed upon witnessing her friend's 'I don't give a damn about you' look.

"If I know Luna, I am not going to ask you right now. " She hopelessly uttered. She just doesn't know what the heck happened yesterday. Amber doesn't have any idea. And that thought was slowly killing her right now. She can't afford to face Krystal. Not when she's blind about everything. Should she just ask Krystal? No, of course not. That would be so disrespectful. A jerk's behavior. Amber's not like that. Not when it comes to Krystal. So Luna's the only one who can help her. 

With one last pleading look she asked her again, "Lun, please, what did I say to Krystal? "

"I really don't know Am. I went to the rest room. " 
Woah. Amber can't believe this. How come she's friend with Luna? Now, she really doesn't know. 

"Yah! When time's like that you should have atleast listened or have ended the call! "

"I have already done that, if only I could. The owner even wanted to kick us out due to your drunken behavior. Also, I would prefer to not hear your cheesiness. It will make me puke more than the soju we're drinking." Luna stated as a matter of fact before resuming to what she was doing before Amber barged in lifelessly. If only this fool knew what are the inconveniences she have caused to her. Up until now she can't feel her shoulders due to carrying Amber. Not to mention the embarassment she have endured because this wonderful, good and kind friend of hers have continously shouted that she like Krystal and that she finally confessed. 

"Will you please sit down? Or might as well help me in arranging these boxes. " Luna commanded. She's already getting annoyed by how Amber is walking back and forth, clearly trying to remember what happened the night before. 

This is a hopeless case, Amber thought. It's either she'll ask Krystal to know what happened or her brain will do some magic and let her know about---

"...Krystal is sooo beautiful." 

"She's sometimes snob."

"She easily get irritated over small things."

"She's sometimes over-reacting. "

But the phrase that constantly rang on her ears and have made her knees go weak due to embarassment was, "I still like her despite all of that hehe. "

What the.

Stupid mouth .

Stupid me.

Stupid confession. 

How am I going to face her? 

~~~~~

For the next few days, Amber was thankful that she didn't ran across Krystal even once. Though that thought saddens her because seeing Krystal's face can light up her whole mood and her day, she prefers that for now she wouldn't. It's somehow relieving that the Gods we're thankfully on her side for some days. 

She's on her way to the pharmacy after a few minutes of rest when her phone vibrated. 

One new text message.  

From: Luna the midget megaphone

'Can you get a box of Aspirin on your way back? Thanks in advance! '

She scoffed upon reading the text but still have turned around towards the storage room. It's as if she has a choice. Ever since she befriended Luna, that right was already taken away from her. 

She's busy thinking of a funny reply when, "Check the patient's vital signs and also prepare the operating room for this late afternoon's operation. I need that to be done immediately." a familiar voice commanded which immediately halted her steps. It came from behind and Amber was so grateful for it. She can't bear for Krystal to see her shocked and nervous expression just by hearing her mere voice. 

"Yes, Doctor Jung. " another voice responded, enthusiasm being evident on it. 

A mere glimpse was what she only wished by slowly turning around but what welcomed her was Krystal's own orbs glancing back at her. And that just caused for Amber's heart to beat erratically. Just a glance coming from Krystal was more than enough to do that. Not to mention that she can feel her blood rushing towards her face upon witnessing that Krystal keeps on glancing back at her as she continue the conversation with a certain nurse whom she have realized to be one of the hospital's interns. 

Without much further thought, after noticing that the two ladies were already bidding their goodbyes, she abruptly rushed towards the storage room which was only a few meters away from where she's standing. She can't afford to have a talk with Krystal right now. She's too nervous for it and it isn't good when she's on this state. Especially in front of her, her long time crush whom she still adores, very much. Amber doesn't want to even  imagine the probable results. 

With the goal of immediately getting away from the young doctor, without wasting time she began her search for the damn medicine. She's too busy checking labels and reading it's names that the sound of opening the door went unnoticed by her. Even the slow foot steps were gone to deaf ears. 

Amber then celebrated internally as the familiar box came into view. Luck was really finally on her side this time or maybe not- because upon turning around Krystal's face was what welcomed her and this time her heart was probably out of her body already. 

"Oh gosh! You scared me Doc Jung! " she exclaimed loudly while catching her breath from the sudden mini heart attack. 

Krystal just seriously stared at her and she cannot do anything but to gulp, hoping that it can somehow also washed away her nervousness. After some staring contest, the young doctor finally uttered, "So now, it's only Doc Jung. " disappointment was clear on her voice or maybe that's just Amber's mind and hearing that are playing tricks on her. 

"N-no, of course not! What I meant was K-krystal, Doctor Jung. " She mentally cursed herself at her last words. 

"I m-mean just Krystal."  She immediately clarified, afraid to cause any misunderstanding. Silence was what welcomed the two of them and Amber can't help but to bow down her head due to embarassment. Clearly she cannot act properly in front of Krystal. 

Soon series of laughter erupted on the small enclosed space. On that moment, Amber already knew what was her favorite sound. The one that she can listen to all day without getting bored. One that she's willing to sacrifice so much just to hear it always. One that she'll do whatever she can although she may always look stupid just for it not to vanished into the thin air easily. Her new favorite sound. Krystal's laugh. The special melody that's already engraved on her mind and she's planning to always keep it there no matter what. 

She's still in a dazed when the said girl stopped laughing and instead look at her with those sharp cat-like eyes. Which eventually pulled Amber out of her reverie. 

"I'm just joking. I don't easily get irritated over small things now. " the young doctor uttered seriously while taking a step forward towards her. 

That oddly sounds familiar. 

 One step backward. 

"Second, I'm not that snob. I even came to say hi. " Another step forward which made Amber backed away, this time, two steps away. A clear display that she's afraid that Krystal might hear her loudly beating heart and might took notice of how droplets of sweat are slowly forming on her face. 

"O-oh is that it? How kind of you." she stuttered, still backing away but soon felt like disappearing when her back touches the wall. It's the end of trying to get away. Also, the end of her. 

"Of course,  I am KIND NOW Amber. " upon the emphasis on those words Amber was enlightened on what Krystal was trying to imply. Those were the words she have uttered when she drunkenly confessed at her. 

"Look at me. " the latter commanded while looking straight at her. Cannot contain the tension, Amber looked away. An opposite action to what she's supposed to do. But how can Krystal ask her of this kind of thing like it's so easy to do? Clearly, it wasn't. Not when she's trying all her might to divert her gaze to the other corners of the room, away from Krystal's eyes. 

"I said look at me. " this time it was sternly uttered.
Amber gulped for the nth time upon feeling Krystal's soft thumb brushing on her chin as she tried to make her face her. With their close proximity, another electrifying shock ran through Amber's body. Adding to the current voltage was when Krystal's moist lips came into view. 

Without breaking their eye contact, Krystal inched forward so Amber doesn't have a choice but to close her eyes while waiting for those plump lips to touch hers. Succumbing to the idea of finally kissing the love of her life. 

After a few moments of waiting, it wasn't on her lips but on her forehead. And it wasn't Krystal's lips but her fingers running across atop her eyebrows trying to remove something. 

"You have some dirt here. " Krystal lowly muttered on her ears after a few touches on that certain area. Amber will surely be by it, if it's on other occasion and if only she doesn't make a fool out of herself in front of the latter. Realizing their current position she slowly pushed Krystal away from her. Putting a distance between them. Strangely, she's missing the warmth Krystal emitted just a few seconds back. 

"I g-gotta go. " she stuttered while collecting the box of medicine on her hands, Amber then immediately rushed to the door. But before escaping the scene she heard Krystal said, "It's clearly not me who's over-reacting right now,  Am. " 

If only she can turn around to roll her eyes infront of the latter she'll probably do it because without second thought, Krystal was clearly teasing her. She's even using Amber's words during her stupid confession. But she's already too embarassed to do that. So she peacefully took her flight. But her heart and mind were clearly not at peace. 

"She's going to be the death of me. " Amber muttered to herself with a sigh. 

On the other hand, Krystal was left smirking. 

~~~~~

 Flashback.

A few moments after Amber's drunk confession. 

"Why do I feel like you're going to fall for her Krys? " Victoria asked after recovering from the shock because of Amber's sudden confession but they both knew that it came out as a statement rather than a question. 

"Me? Falling for her? Are you serious Vic? " Krystal incredulously uttered, she's even pointing at herself to clearly confirm it. She might heard her friend incorrectly. 

"Why not? There must be a reason why the two of you met again. " 

"Never. I will not fall her her. Ever. Besides, I don't swing that way Vic. " her tone is going much higher this time while talking, she's making her point across. And she's making sure also that Victoria's going to be convinced by it. 

"Nothing's impossible when it comes to love Krys. Unexpected people comes at unexpected time with unexpected purpose. So yeah, who knows? " Victoria smirked at her while sipping on her drink. She looks like a mother advicing her daughter when it comes to love. 

"Well, what you just uttered seems impossible. Wanna bet? " she challenged on which Victoria just shrugged, urging her to continue. 

"I can even make Amber mine without falling for her. " Krystal confidently said, holding her chin up. Victoria on the other hand just looked at her amusedly. It's one of the rare moments where Krystal has the determination to prove herself to someone. 

"Oh really? " 

"Really. " 

"Then what's at stake? " Victoria asked which left the girl thinking. 

"Hmmm... " she muttered lowly. "If you win you will have your daily supply of your favorite Iced Coffee for a month " with the mentioned of the drink, the latter's face immediately lit up. 

"Make it two." Victoria tried to bargained. 

"One and a half. " 

"Two months Krys. " she responded with finality. 
Krystal sighed before agreeing. 

"If I win then a cup of Americano for me."

"Okay, deal. If in a month of being together you still don't have feelings for her then I'm wrong. But I doubt that's the case..." she trailed off. Victoria smirked at Krystal before adding, "I'm always right Krystal." 

"This time you're wrong Vic. Let's just see. " Krystal cannot wait to wipe off the smirk that adorned her friend's face.

It's showtime. 

~~~~~

The deal was what occupied Krystal's mind as she wait for a familiar figure to walk out of the hospital's entrance. She let off a small smile upon finally spotting her. Krystal then immediately stepped on her car's accelarator trying to catch up with the girl. 
A shocked Amber was what came into view as soon as she rolled down her windows upon arriving beside her. 

"It's a bit chilly, Am. I'll drive you home. " she offered with a smile beaming at her face. It may seem fake but for sure Amber's not going to think that way. Not when she like her. She smirked at that thought. No way she'll decli---

"I'm sorry Krys but I have something planned out with my friend. Maybe next time. " she heard Amber replied after much contemplation and as soon as those words were let out, her smile immediately faded. It's quite unexpected that she'll get rejected. 

"Thank you for the offer though. " Amber added while bowing slightly. She then took her leave after that, not even waiting for the latter to say anything which leaves Krystal's mouth forming a 'o'. 

"Stupid Amber! She should say yes when the girl she likes ask her like this. Nevermind, others will even thank heavens for this one in a million opportunity. It's her loss anyway. " She seems nonchalant about it but a loud honk surprising some of the people nearby including Amber clearly speak otherwise. If only honking can express how annoyed she is right now then probably Amber will immediately jump inside the car. But Amber's too dense to notice that. As always. So, she just scratch her nape as a white BMW drove away with a glaring Krystal driving it. 

Second move. Failed. 

 

To be continued...

 

~~~~~

A/N: This took a while to be made because I need to rewrite everything. Unfortunately, I didn't get to save the first one. Anyways, enjoy reading y'all!  :)