V. Everything Has Changed

Chasing the Thief

Flashback.

"Straighten your lines and get ready for your practice. We only have two days before the foundation day so we really need your cooperation." Amber heard the booming voice of one of the teachers as they dashed towards the gym. For two weeks now, they're preparing for the annual field demo presentation together with the lower grade levels. Every levels were tasked to formulate their own dance routines to be presented on the said day. As graduating students in primary school, all grade six students were doing their best to give their all in this year's celebration. 

They then immediately rushed towards the end of the line as per the instruction of their dance leader. 
Amber just blankly stared in front trying to grasp the new dance routines. She tiptoed as she tried her very best to focus on it as she arrived late together with Krystal and some of her classmates. That is why they're at the back of their section's line. 

"Okay, now face your partners." 

Partners? She wondered. 

Seeing that boys should be paired with girls. Amber scratched her nape because their section do not have enough boys so obviously some girls will be paired with other girls. As she turned to her right, she came face to face with their class president. Amber just awkwardly held her hands, trying to keep up with the routines being taught in front. She can even feel Krystal's gaze as she continuously messed up the steps. Which made her more conscious than holding the hands of one of the most admired girls in their school. She bet that some of their boys were jealous of her. Although, she should be thankful that it's not some jerk she's holding hands with, there is something in her who wish that Krystal is her partner. 

That's when she realized that she's really fond of the other girl. 

"Some of you don't have any partners. Kindly adjust." 

Lost in her thoughts she just absentmindedly move backwards. 

"Let's start again! Kindly face your partners." their dance leader instructed. 

Amber can feel her heart beat quickly as this time she came face to face with Krystal. She's wondering how did this happened when clearly there were two more people before her from their class president, Amber's last partner. 

At such a young age, she's sure that all of these feelings were all because she find Krystal really pretty. That is the sole reason she can think of. But then maybe she was wrong all along. Really wrong. 

"1 and then 2 and 3. Now, hold your partners hand! Point your---" All the sounds she should hear were all falling into deaf ears. Her attention was on her hands holding Krystal's. Amber doesn't know if they do not just like each other because compared to the grip of the other pairs, theirs were just softly placed atop each other. She doesn't want to admit it but something in her ache, when awkwardness were evident between the two of them. The ache continued to grow when Krystal even suggested that they should switch partners. Amber on the other hand agreed although all she want to feel was Krystal's soft hands in hers. Well, how fool was she to think that Krystal will grow to like the idea of them holding hands even if it's just for the sake of their performance. 

If a while ago she was not sure on what was Krystal to her, now, she's sure that she has a crush on her. A huge one even, considering how much she celebrated upon holding her hands for the first time and how much she was disappointed upon switching partners. 

Amber shouldn't have agreed in the first place. It was such a pity that holding Krystal's hands were all a memory. A one time memory. 

End of flashback. 


~~~~~ 
A memory flashed inside Amber's head which happened many years back but she's sure that nothing is foreign. She's still blushing like a mad primary school girl who had just hold her crush's hand. And just like before she caught herself just staring unbelievably on their intertwined hands upon crossing the street towards a fast food chain located in front of the hospital. She's sure that there's something going on in Krystal's head these days. Everything's too good to be true. First, was her offer to send her home. The second one happened just a while ago when she texted Amber if they could grab their lunch together. And now, when she initiated to hold her hand when they hurriedly crossed towards the other part of the lane trying to avoid the passing cars. 

"Hey Am, you're spacing out." Krystal said pulling Amber out of her thoughts. She scanned her surroundings and soon find herself sitting in front of the latter who just worriedly staring at her blank face. 

"Are you sick? We can just go back." 

"N-no. I was just thinking about something. I'm sorry." she apologized. 

"To make up with it, I'll order for the both of us. " she was going to stand up when Krystal beat her to it by holding her wrist. Which sent an electrifying feeling again towards every veins of her body. The effect of Krystal on her was really strong. 

"I already ordered, I've asked Luna what you usually get when eating here. A spicy chicken with coke float and fries, right?" she proudly stated. 

Now, Amber really wondered how long was she spacing out when Krystal even already ordered for the both of them. 

Amber just simply nodded and sat back at her chair again. She wanted to ask the latter what was she up to but then that may sound rude and it is not like she wasn't happy with what was transpiring between the two of them. In the end, she just stared at Krystal when the girl was busy typing something on her phone. With that she realized that if Krystal was already pretty back then, now, she's already a goddess staring back at her---wait. 

Amber immediately turned her head to the right to avoid the latter's gaze with her cheeks blushing furiously. She can faintly heard Krystal's little laugh at that. 

"You're so cute." Krystal beamed at her. 
And that simply made Amber's heart for the nth time beat erratically because of this girl in front of her. 

"W-what?" she immediately asked upon recovering from her shock. Clarifying things is what should be done now. It may be her mind playing tricks on her again. Never has she dreamed of to be called cute by the one and only Krystal Jung. Never. 

A moment of silence passed as Krystal was just staring at her teasingly. 

Gosh. How can someone be this beautiful?  Amber asked the Gods above who have clearly sculpted this girl's features perfectly. She even bet that it took them a lot of time, effort and consideration to make this perfect being. 

She was going to repeat it when a waiter placed their orders on their table. 

"Here are your order ma'am." the clarification was soon forgotten as Amber dig in on her food. 

~

After eating, they decided to have a walk on the hospital's yard. Krystal said that it's good for the proper digestion of the food. They both silently thank the tall trees for shielding them from the scourging heat of the sun. They silently took their time admiring the surroundings, the kids playing on the mini playground and even some couple taking their rest on some of the benches. But now the silence was bearable, awkwardness isn't even that evident. Maybe now, they are slowly getting accustomed to the presence of each other. Even Amber who has unspoken feelings for the latter, was just simply enjoying each other's company. 

But that peace was soon disturbed when a bunch of running kids took their plight towards them, making Krystal stumble in the process. Luckily, Amber caught the latter in her arms and Krystal's immediately find support in Amber's shoulders. It's been more than five times that Krystal was close to her but Amber's heart will still automatically beat faster than it usually does whenever they are too close with each other. Unbeknownst to the two of them, their hearts were both in the same pace in this particular time. The other was clueless while the other was in denial. The in denial one abruptly break their current position and has bid her goodbye reasoning that her lunch break was already over, not even letting the clueless one to recover from her shock. 

Amber took a glance at her watch and has seen that there's still fifteen more minutes before lunch break ends. 

She just watch Krystal with a small smirk displaying on her face as the girl walk fast towards the main entrance, greeting some doctors who have come her way. That smirk grew wider upon witnessing Krystal's shock expression before disappearing from her line of sight upon noticing that she was staring at her the whole time.

It was a really wrong move for Krystal to turn around towards Amber's direction before entering the building. She's sure that she's mentally slapping herself because of that one wrong move. But how come, it's on her chest that she's patting furiously right now? There must be something wrong with her heart or maybe there's something wrong with her. 

~~~~~

 

She should not back down now or even let herself be distracted with making Amber hers without falling for her. That's her goal. For the sake of her beloved Iced Americano. Krystal should not give in.

Krystal soon find herself waiting for Amber to went out of the hospital. A same scenario but this time she'll make sure that the outcome will not be the same. So when Amber accepted her offer to give her a ride back home, Krystal surely celebrated internally.

The ride was spent in them singing crazily the songs being played on the car's radio. She cannot believe that she can laugh and act like this. It's been a long time since Krystal felt this way and she's sure that Amber is enjoying this as much as hers. 

What was supposed to be a thirty minute ride seems like a five minute one. Proving that they both have enjoyed the time being spent with each other. Disappointment was evident on both their faces as Krystal pulled up in front of Amber's apartment. It's their first time to be this comfortable with each other. With that short span of time, they have somehow discovered a side of each other that they usually don't showcase to other people. Amber was clearly delighted with the thought of this kind of happenings repeating in the future. She even swore that she'll try her best to bring this side of Krystal every once in a while. 

"I gotta go. Thanks for the ride. " Amber bid her farewell already but still not even moving an inch to get outside the car. Clearly doesn't have any idea if she's waiting for something to happen or there is something that she should utter 

"No problem, Amber. " Krystal smiled at her. 

"If you want, I can bring you home if ever there's no emergency. " 

"It's okay, Krys. I can manage and besides you are a busy person. I do not want to be a nuisance." Amber added the last part lowly. But Krystal heard her anyway 

"You're not a nuisance. If you are then I shouldn't have offered to still give you a ride. " 

Amber just stay silent. Still calculating the right words to be uttered. 

She should have asked what was Krystal's motive on why she's doing this. 

She should have asked what was going on in Krystal's head. 

She should have asked why is she giving her a ride back home and is still willingly to do it again. 

But instead she asked... 

 

"Are you free on Saturday? Let's have a date. " 

Krystal's shock expression clearly mirrored hers. She cannot believe that she can just easily asked Krystal like that. Those words should be uttered with utmost sincerity and efforts. So why the heck does she asked Krystal like that. 

"I mean just hanging out. N-not a d-date but maybe a friendly date so it's still a date but---" 

Krystal cut her ramblings, "I'm free. It's a date then. " formed an 'O' upon the latter's approval. 

A date with a Krystal Jung? Amber must be really dreaming these days. And if she is, kindly do not wake her up.