I. The Story of Us

Chasing the Thief

I have decided to divide this supposed to be one-shot into two or three chapters because it's kind of longer than I have expected it to be. So, the first chapter is up. I hope you will like it :-).

~~~~~~~~
"Paging Doc Krystal, please proceed to the Emergency Room right now." Fingers were half-way typing on the computer's keyboard as the familiar name rang through her ears. After a few seconds of immobility, Amber then proceeded to do her work again. She doesn't know on why the intercom won't announce the full name of the doctors whenever they asked for them. Are they too lazy to even utter another syllable or two? She always find herself asking this question ever since she stepped in to this hospital three months ago as a cashier. A job she find so hard to flex, well who can blame her when she have earned a bachelor degree in Accountancy only to work as a cashier on a city's hospital. Who would be happy when you are striving for the past five years only to fail on a board exam which lead her to not land a job on a much better financial institutions. 'But atleast you're still handling money' she tried to motivate herself. But at the end of the day, she's still a failure though.

 
"Hey, Am how much is this?" It broke her train of thoughts as the pharmacist hand her a bunch of medicines to be calculated. 

"121,000 won" 

After the assigned pharmacist for the day which is also her friend named Luna catered the remaining customers she shot her a questioning look on which Amber tried to avoid. 

"Hey, you are daydreaming again awhile ago. There is really something with that doctor named Krystal huh?" Luna grinned at her. 

"Stop it Lun. Like I have said it is just familiar. Why can't they name fully the doctors though?" Amber finally asked the question that she has been dying to ask. 

"I don't know but I kind of knew why it's on the first name basis." Amber stopped checking the money to attentively listen to the latter. 

"Well, if it's on surname basis, tens of doctors would probably be rushing around everytime there is an emergency, imagine there are ten or maybe twenty Kims in here" 

"Makes sense." Amber nodded  and chuckled a little at Luna's explanation. 

'Just who is this Doc Krystal they are referring of?' She wondered again. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was a one fine day when she got her answer. Indeed, it is calm before a storm comes. 

"Is there any available Hydrochlorothiazide?" 

"Am, can you check if--- wait, where is she?" Luna confusedly tilt her head because she is sure Amber is just on the counter. 

"Wait a second doc, I'll just check." she smiled at the beautiful doctor which was returned by a small smile also. After finding a box of it she returned and informed the young doctor, "We still have a box of it doc...?" She trailed off, squinting her eyes as she tried to read the small writings on the nameplate of the latter. 

"Doc Krystal Jung." The doctor clarified. She then fished her phone out of her lab coat dialling someone. 

Luna on the other hand walked over the counter--- "Ouch!" A small cry of pain echoed on which made her jumped out of surprise. She followed the whimper and find Amber below the counter's table putting her right hand over trying to cover the sounds of pain that were itching to burst out of .  

"What are you doin---" Amber panickly signalled Luna to shut up on which the latter obeyed although the situation seems so confusing. 

"Excuse me, how much is it?" 

Luna immediately uttered the price of it but get distracted as Amber keeps on touching her feet. 

"Yah! Am---" her sentence got cut off as soon as she saw where Amber is pointing at. Luna then abruptly moved her feet atop Amber's hand. The boyish girl immediately let out a heavy sigh after it, pain is evident on her face. 

"I'll get a box of it." With the medicine in hand, the young doctor immediately walked away. 

It was only after hearing the heels clicking away did Amber showed herself. She then smiled sheepishly on Luna. She felt sweat forming on her forehead for Luna is giving her the look that tells her to better explain everything now. 

"Excuse me..." Relief washed Amber's soul as a customer came in view. Interrogation postponed. 
~~~~~~~~
"Ouch! It hurts Lun!" Amber pouted as Luna is putting a disinfectant on her wound. Unfortuantly, due to Luna's heels she earned another part of her that hurts for today or maybe for a couple of days but surely the other one is a wound that's been opened again for the nth time and Amber was certain that it will continue to hurt for it never heals. 

"Who told you to go under then?!"

"I was just finding something?" She foolishly reasoned out. Luna sensed the girl's uneasiness and uncertainty on her answer.

"You are not telling me something, Am"
Guilt was soon plastered on Amber's  face upon hearing the dejected tone on Luna's voice. "You know that you can tell me anything, right?" Luna reassures the other girl.

"I'll tell you but probably not now Lun. I am still grasping on things that happened lately." 

The following days were spent preparing on the storm that is coming on Amber's way in the name of

Krystal Jung. 

Her first crush. 

Her first love. 

The subject of Amber's unsaid feelings. 

The oblivious thief who stole a part of her when they were young.

~~~~~
FLASHBACKS


Amber was eight when she first met her and she was ten when they get to know each other. Krystal was one of those most admired students. She's a beauty with brain so Amber can't blame them if boys at such a young age will have a crush on the latter. Amber on the other hand is the total opposite of the said girl. She's timid, shy, aloof and one of the students who are existing but not noticed. She can be absent and others would not mind. She can be present but others can spend a day without interacting with her. Unlike Krystal who's presence is important that the class would not function well without her. But Amber do not mind her that much for the first two years that they were classmates. She can't  even remember herself interacting with her during that time. She felt like their worlds were a total opposite and that there's no reason for her to step into her realm when she's just a nobody. 
It was just when they were in fifth grade that she became fond of her. It started when they were put by their adviser on a sitting arrangement that would really introduce them to each other and somehow be part of each other's world. They were only a seat apart so it's given that there will be interactions to happen between the two of them. And as the time passed by, they became friends on which Amber doesn't know when and how it started. She just soon finds herself enjoying Krystal's company, smiling and laughing as she does and even giving little gifts to her. First was a handkerchief. Second was a bracelet and the others were Krystal's requested printed lyrics of the songs of her favorite artist. She's that whipped back then. 

But, she was so oblivious about her newfound feelings, all she knew was that among all her classmate she favors the girl most. And it was only when Krystal was absent for a week that she have realized that the latter is one of the reasons why her boring school life was bearable. 

"Excuse me, Ma'am." all eyes were diverted to the girl who stood at the door holding a small envelope. Amber's curiousity grew an inch for she is the older Jung, Krystal's sister. 

The teacher gestured for the latter to come forward. After Jessica handed what seems like an excuse letter, Amber dejectedly continue to take down notes. It was then confirmed to her that Krystal might not be around for a day. 'What a boring day' she thought. But then it was a whole week that the girl was absent and it was on that particular time a realization hit her. 

'She's like her favorite color. Yellow. Just like the sun rays who gives color to my dull life.' 

It was then stormy in Amber's life in that whole week without her. 
~~~~~

The fights. 

They were circling around laughing on anything under the sun. It was one of those days that Amber felt like she belong to this class. There were ten students and Amber never smile so bright than that day because Krystal is back and she's with them laughing and goofing around. But the atmosphere turned upside down when one of their classmates asked, "You look good together with Kai, do you like him already?" Whistles and teasing erupted and Amber's mood also turned sour after that. Krystal's having this unreadable expression, she's smiling at the same time grimacing with them. They continue to about the boy whom admitted has a crush on her last year. 

To mask everything Amber then also , "Krystal's  like that but deep inside she's feeling giddy yieeeee. Stop pretending already and tell us that you like him too" that earned another set of laughter from all of them. 

"I don't like him okay!" Krystal then angrily stormed out of the room with her face fuming. She's having enough of all the teasings that do not have basis in the first place. Is her ignoring Kai not enough to tell them that she doesn't like him? 

Amber on the other hand, although guilty but she find Krystal's outburst a petty one. And why the hell she reacted on her teasing but on the others did not. 

For several days they did not talk and interact with each other. Amber is dying to befriend her but her pride is keeping her from doing some raparation with the latter but her actions say otherwise because everytime Krystal is near her she seems to goof around more to get her attention. It was on the fourth day that she have successfully made Krystal crack a smile on one of her silly jokes. They're back to normal again after that. 

But through the course of their remaining two years in elementary,  she can't count anymore on how many times they have quarreled because of some petty reasons. It can be Amber teasing her or the other way around. They don't know on why when it comes to teasing each other their heads keep on being pressed. They even don't  have a whole week without fighting. They always undergo cold war and it will just end if one of them will have the initiative to forgive the other. But mostly it was Krystal who will casually interact with Amber after a day or two of fighting. She don't want to sound boastful but really the latter is the one who will reconcile with her first in a way of smiling, saying hello and waving her hands. Those gestures will serve as the signs of them being friends again. 

End of Flashbacks.

~~~~~

Amber chuckled as she sip on her coffee while thinking about the good old days. Just a sight of a certain from the past will truly bring everything back. Amber wonders on how Krystal is doing these days. Is she fine? Happy? Healthy? Successful? And last but DEFINITELY NOT THE LEAST does she have a boyfriend? Of course yes, she thought. With that beauty, intelligence and career she's a hundred percent sure that Krystal will make any guy fall for her if she wants to. 

Ever since then, they are on two opposite worlds. It hurts Amber's pride but she's still not worth it to be on Krystal's world up until now. She's still the Amber that's nobody and right now an Amber that is a failure too. An Amber that although is trying her best cannot be the one who would deserve her.

That's the main reason on why she cannot bring herself to show her face to the latter. She's everything that Krystal wants to be out of her life. 
So now, she's asking herself on why their paths crossed again if even in this present time, she doesn't have any chance to have her. They are the total and most exact example of people bound to meet but not bound to be together. 
~~~~~

"What the heck Lun, where are you? It's already 8 AM." Amber grumbled while arranging some things in the hospital's pharmacy. It's not part of her job but her oh-so perfect friend cannot come on time again for the nth time. 

"Please do me a favor first before you scold me..." she sighed frustratingly and soon she heard shuffling of papers on the other line. "Doc Victoria called me awhile ago---" 
"I am not interested in your lovelife Lun"

"Ghad! Am this is urgent!" Amber muttered a bunch of 'okays' before letting the latter continue her sentence. 

"I need you to get some medicines and bring this to the cardio department as soon as possible. Please just this once, Am. I'll treat you to a delicious dinner later. I promise." 

The medicines were on her hand as she just wait for the elevator to be on the ground floor. Her heart's been beating erratically at the moment and she can't think of any reason for this abnormality. 

~~~~~

"I want to be on the medical field. So, maybe a cardiologist or opthalmologist." a young Krystal cheerfully stated on her group of friends. At such a young age, it was clear on the young girl's mind what she want to be in the future. Amber who overheared the conversation have this lopsided grin plastered on her face. 

'She would look great on that white uniform. I'll be the patient then' 
~~~~~

'No, no, no. It cannot be. I'll really kick Luna's if ever I'll see Krystal because of her.' Amber thought as she shook the feeling away. She have successfully avoided to cross path with her for the past two weeks and she wouldn't allow that Luna will be the one to ruin everything. 

The elavator reached the ground floor and immediately Amber attempted to get inside but was push forward by another body who seems in a rush. 

"I am sorry! I am kind of late already."

"It's o---" she trailed off as she have caught a glimpse of the one apologizing. 

Straight hair. 

Perfect eyebrows. 

Smooth skin. 

Well-defined jawline and nose. 

A pl-plump lips. She caught herself staring at the last mentioned features of the girl's face. 

"I-it's fi-fine" Amber mentally cursed herself when she stuttered in front of the latter. She abruptly turned her body forward and straightened herself as other people came inside. They were brought closer that Amber can feel their shoulders bumping and her perfume intoxicating her nostrils, of course in a heavenly way. Blood rushed on Amber's face as the person on her right keeps on pushing them together due to the limited space with so many people trying to fit themselves just to get on time. 

With a newfound strength she break herself free and instead she stand sideways so that Krystal would be protected by her own body. And for all of them to fit inside. 

Every second that the lift have it's way up Amber felt like it's equivalent for a year of her dying early by the close proximity she have with her long time crush. And maybe she would be in a coffin already if ever Krystal would also turn her body towa---

'Oh fvccckkk!' she screamed internally for what she's thinking have literally happened. Sweat formed on her forehead and she can feel her stomach churning as the girl she's been dying to see is now looking at her. But sadly without any emotion or even a hint of recognition. She guessed she's not that important in her life. 

Amber uneasily diverted her eyes on almost every corners of the lift in order for her not to meet Krystal's eyes. As the elevator stopped on the third floor, people pushed forward again and soon Amber felt her lips on Krystal's forehead. Blessed her---No! cursed her height! She muttered an apology immediately and moved away from the latter for there is enough space since some of these insensitive people have already gone out. Amber fixed herself and on her peripheral vision she saw Kryatal also doing the same. 

Amber reminded herself to punch her own face and of course Luna later. How can she be so careless to even put her lips on the latter's forehead. It was those people's fault! She tried to reasoned out but soon frozed on her spot as the image of Krystal being so shocked because of what she have just done appeared on her mind. Her face was still vividly etched on Amber's mind and she's thankful that Krystal didn't even slap her on the face because knowing Krystal, she's one of those bratty type of girls. That if she doesn't like anything or anyone she would bluntly say it. 

'I guess she have changed for the better'

Amber let out a sigh of relief as the elevator arrived on her desired floor. She impatiently tapped her left foot as she wait for the doors to open for her to be free from this embarassing and emotionally draining situation. As soon as the doors opened she pushed herself forward immediately towards it but soon being stopped by a voice. 

"Hey Am, you dropped this." pertaining to the small paper bag contaning the medicines and other supplies Luna asked her to bring. 
Oh. 

My. 

Freakin'. 

God. 

She.

Remembered. 

Me. 

And she's also going out.

'Oh God, please bless and guide my poor soul, my uneasy mind and my exploding heart for this day.'

 

~To Be Continued...~

 

A/N: 

Hello! That was the first chap hehe. Please do tell me if it's boring to read or it lacks anything. Probably, the flashbacks were not that exciting since it really happened to me and you know everyday's life isn't as eventful as we always see in movies or dramas. I am making this as realistic as possible since it contains my real life experiences with my first crush. The flashbacks were mostly true happenings. The present were all my imagination although I am hoping for it to really happen. Yeah,  your author is still really liking her first crush and is waiting to see her again. Hope you'll like this and please do stay tuned with this story. Because aside from a fiction, this is the story that's dear to me ~♥~