VII. Tied Together With a Smile

Chasing the Thief

"Yah! Why are you not answering my call last night? " Luna's booming voice was what welcomed Amber as soon as she arrived at the hospital's pharmacy that particular morning. Not sparing her friend a glance, she just directly went to the cashier's stool and began arranging things. Amber is not really sure if she should thank Luna or not for disrupting their moment. But one thing is for sure, she doesn't know how to face Krystal after what have transpired between them. But most importantly, she's asking herself on what was their real score. Clearly, they have already crossed the boundary of being just friends. So, what are they?

Amber raked her brain trying to come up with answers to her never-ending questions about the other girl. On the other hand, Luna just looked at her trying to grasp what was on Amber's mind. Something must have happened during their date. The only thought that seems a plausible reason for her friend's odd behavior. 

"Are you not going to answer me? " she inquired again while looking at Amber intensely. 

"We were kinda busy kiss---I mean no! Of course not we were not kissing. We uhmm... What I mean was that we're busy listening to Kiss The Rain. Yeah! That's it. It is so soothing Lun. Try to listen to it. " Amber continously rambled, even herself doesn't have any idea how can she spurt those words without almost taking a breath. 

Weird stares were all that she could see on Luna's face. It was clear to her that the latter doesn't bought her lies. Her very first sentence gave away all that happened yesterday night. And she mentally facepalmed due to that thought. Her friend will surely tease the hell out of her about the young doctor. 

Luna eventually broke into a smile and soon nudge Amber on her side. "Ooh, you were on the kissing stage now huh? " She whistled as she continued to tease the latter. 

"Tell me more about what happened Ambeeer. " She giddily requested, clearly interested about her friend's lovelife. It's been years since Amber laid her eyes on someone. Well, Luna knew she's easily attracted but Amber being serious to someone is not that a recurring event. It's been years since they last talked about Amber's personal love interest. Because after the latter broke it off with her last girlfriend, they were both too caught up with their work and adjusting to adulting stage. Also, undeniably Amber was not ready to start again with someone after that painful break up. 

Amber contemplated for a while but soon dismiss the thought of giving details to her friend. This is going to be the first time that she'll deal with her lovelife privately. Like really private. Because most of her experiences with her crushes were all disclosed to her close friends. Now, although it's not new to them that she likes Krystal, Amber opt to just keep shut until label and feelings were clear between the two of them. She shouldn't assume and say things things, because it will lead her to a much more painful heartbreak, probably more painful than her last relationship because Krystal is and always has a special place in her heart ever since then. So if ever everything will fall out and her covers were already out to everyone, it will be hard for her to deny the damages she will incur if ever. For Amber, pretending to not be vulnerable in front of people who know what happened is a foolish and a hard act to accomplish. So clearly, not now. 

"Nothing happened Lun. We ate dinner, watched some movies and then after some time, she left. " she didn't lie technically with that, was she? That's what really happened, except for some details in between. Honestly, that logic calmed Amber's mind from keeping something to her best friend. 

Still, Luna's face was adorned by an accusing stare but immediately brushed away the thought, afraid to pry too much in Amber's life. She's afraid that she'll become nosy as time passes by. Also, if Amber felt like telling it to her. She'll surely do. 

Amber sighed in relief as Luna attended to the new customer and seems to let her off the hook. But she's sure that confrontations are ahead of her from this day onwards. 

It is going to be a long day. She thought while thinking of ways on how to ease the awkwardness between Krystal and her. 

~~~~~

Coffee aromas soon filled the two girls nostrils as the bells on a nearby coffe shop chimed when they enter. It's currently their break, and what is more relaxing than a coffee paired with great snacks on a rainy day? 

Luna and her were both busy looking at the menu while having a side conversation when she took noticed of a cute baked macaroons being displayed. And it's as if the world conspires for Amber to finally make a move as a free Iced Americano goes along with a box of it. 

 

"That's for Krystal, I suppose? " Luna asked but clearly it was more of a statement based on her tone. As if she's already sure but only seeks assurance from her. With that, Amber timidly nooded her head. 

"Was it too much? "

Luna suddenly stop on her tracks just to look at the latter incredulously.

"Seriously Am? You're really going to ask that after what you have done for her yesterday?" 

Getting her point, Amber gave a shrug while smiling at her sheepishly, clearly admitting her defeat. 

 

"I'll just give these to her really fast" Amber bid while raising the food she has bought for Krystal before strutting away towards the elevator. 

Luna just shook her head at her friends antics. 

God. She's clearly whipped. 

She just hopes that Krystal is different. That she will not hurt and play with Amber's heart because as what she can see with how Amber acted these past few weeks upon meeting her again, Krystal has Amber's happiness on her own hands. 

~~~~~ 

She tapped her foot patiently on the tiled floor as she wait for Krystal to finish attending to her patient. She didn't annnounced her arrival just to surprise her and probably to have a small talk with a little aplogizing about what happened after giving her the food. Amber then took a peek on the little glass at the door, seeing that Krystal is still talking to a certain woman, probably just their age, made Amber to send a text to Luna telling her about it and asking her to cover up for her a bit longer. Amber assumed that Luna is in a good mood after receiving an 'okay' from her without any unnecessary ramblings. 

After some time, taking noticed of Krystal standing up while ushering her patient towards the door to probably say goodbye. Amber immediately straightened her posture and even brush the invisible crease on her work uniform as they approach the door. Amber still not having a glimpse of the said patient's face. 

"Am? "

Holding tightly the said snacks on her right hand, she smiled brightly at Krystal while slightly waving it in the air a little excitedly. But soon all her smiles faltered as a long haired pale girl came into view from Krystal's back. Shock was also evident on her beautiful features. Just like Amber. 

"Amber? " 

"You knew each other? " Krystal inquired, sensing the weird atmosphere between her patient and Amber. 

Both were clearly not sure what to respond to that. They surely knew each other but they both knew that it's not good to dwell that much with the buried memories of them. But now that they have met again, it can't be helped. 

"We're friends. "

"She's my ex. " they both said at the same time. Sulli's shock increased a bit because of Amber's boldness to admit that she's her ex that easily in front of someone. Amber on the other hand, tried to gauge Krystal's expression on her being honest with her. There's no point in hiding that Sulli's her ex-girlfriend. If she really want to start a relationship with her. Amber should be honest about herself and her feelings for the latter. 

Upon hearing the different answers, Krystal both look at the two alternately, trying to grasp who is lying and who is not. Technically no one lied for they were friends first before being in a relationship and falling out of it. 

Amber was not sure if she has seen it right but after looking at Krystal's expression intently, she has took notice of a slight pained expression from those orbs. But she is sure that Krystal was good at hiding it, for it flashed only for a few seconds before she extended her hand to Sulli for a shake. 

"I'll introduce myself again. You can call me Krystal this time instead of Doc Jung. I'm Amber's friend. It's nice meeting you..." she trailed off. 

"Amber's ex." Krystal continued with a slight venom in her voice, purposely emphasizing the word ex. Professionalism was clearly thrown away. Well, she aren't working anymore. 

 Krystal doesn't know on why she's acting so immature right now but after hearing Amber confidently saying that the latter was her ex. She can feel some anger slowly build on her insides. 

Sulli is not blind that the relationship between the two is more than just being friends. Now, she slightly has a hunch on why Amber introduced her as her ex. The thought made her mentally laughed, thinking that the latter is still and always so serious when it comes to liking someone. 

"What have you brought to me, love? " Amber frozed on her spot as the young doctor linked her arm with hers, gazing at her sweetly, which seems too fake but that's not important, Krystal just gave her a sweet endearment. A freaking endearment. 

Not trusting her voice, she just give the snacks to Krystal not uttering any word, afraid that she will stutter from too much happiness and make a fool out of herself in front of her past lover and her current love interest. She's certain that it would be on another level of embarassment if ever. Amber was busy gazing at Sulli, still thinking on what she should do that she didn't realized that Krystal was looking at her with disppointment with how she responded. 

 

"Amber... " Sulli called while looking at her intently with remorse in her eyes. It was like those brown orbs were screaming that she was sorry. 

With Amber sparing her, her attention. She continued, "Can we talk? " 

Noticing the slight change of behavior on the girl, acting all timid and all upon getting Amber's attention. Krystal scoffed on the inside. Really fighting the urge to roll her eyes. Her y side is really showing. 

"Okay, let's talk." The boyish girl wants to settle everything for real this time. Amber wants all of her questions and what ifs to be answered at this moment. For her to truly move on or maybe not? She really didn't know what would be the outcome. Will the truth set her free or will it hinder her from being so. She cannot deny that seeing her ex once again has greatly affected her. She even cannot deny that her heart beats fast. Even her buried feelings seem to resurface again but she's sure that what she felt back then cannot be compared to now. She's confused as hell so knowing the truth will help her a lot. 

They bid their goodbyes to Krystal awkwardly.  Amber cannot help but to look at the girl being left behind dejectedly. Her eyes screaming like she's apologizing for talking to her ex again and for leaving her behind instead of clearing things between the two of them. 

~~~~~

Wanting to talk privately, they seem to agree mentally that the hospital's rooftop was the best place for it. Sulli followed suit as Amber lead the way upstairs. Awkardness can be felt in the air, both of them were in deep thought on what to say and how to express their inner feelings towards what happened to them back then. 

Sulli cleared intentionally to break the silence that took over them for quite some time now after settling themselves on one of the benches. Amber on the other hand, just fix her gaze on the cloudy afternoon skies. She chuckled internally as the skies seems to have a heavy day just like her. 

"Amber..." she began, trying to avert Amber's attention to their upcoming conversation. 

"I'm sorry. " that's it. Sulli finally uttered the words she wants Amber to hear from her. Those were long over due. But still, she mean every letters and words that goes along with that two worded phrase. 

"You broke me that time Sul. You know that. I was a mess back then." 

"I know Amber, it's just that... I don't have any choice." 

With that being said. Amber chuckled sarcastically. She isn't that angry with Sulli to begin with, but after hearing that cliche phrase. She guess that she should be. 

Wrong choice of words. Sulli truly ed up on that. She knew Amber hated that reason. 

"You always knew that I don't like hearing that phrase. That's totally bull Sulli. Everyone always have a choice. You saying that you don't have a choice is already your choice. Don't mask your decision to hurt me as if you are just obligated to do otherwise." 

Amber's outburst shut Sulli up. She knew that. And she knew ever since then that Amber do have a point on that. It was such a stupid move to reason that out to the latter. 

"My mom knew about us..." 

Amber wasn't surprised that much after that revelation. It was actually one of the reasons she could think of on why Sulli broke everything between the two of them. 

"She was angry as hell. She even insisted to see you and even blackmailed me to tell it to my father and to your parents. And I know that  it is the last thing that we both want to happen. So I promised her that I'll end our relationship." Amber realized that there's no point on being angry to the latter, that's all in the past and besides if something changes on her past, she probably will not meet Krystal again. Acceptance is always the key to forgiveness. She cannot help but to wonder how easy for her to accept everything now that she knew about Sulli's reason on leaving her. Maybe if they met before the young doctor came into her life again. She's sure that everything would be a big deal. Maybe she truly moved on from the past ever since she laid her eyes on Krystal again. 

"Sul, you know that I love you too much back then to willingly fight for you. You should have told me." Amber cannot help but to reply. That's what she will probably do at that time. Risk everything for Sulli. 

"I know Am. I really know. But I guess fate was already pulling us away from each other at that time. Even if we don't end our relationship on that note, it will surely end the other ways. My hunch was proved as we met again today." her last sentence made Amber laugh lightly again but this time, it's devoid of any sarcasm. Everything's clear to her now. 

"Your right on that.  If we're meant to be, were meant to be. In our case, we both know that we're not." 

The faces of their current love interests flooded their mind. Content smiles soon adored their features. As they felt the cold breeze graze their skin. Metaphorically washing all their worries, questions and what ifs along its way. 

Both we're too occupied with their own thoughts that they didn't notice that someone just arrived, standing a few feet away from them, listening attentively to what they were talking. Curiosity took the best out of her. So, she doesn't have any reason not to follow the two. 

"I love you Amber." Sulli said playfully. 

Sensing the playfulness, Amber decided to go along with it. Not having any idea that someone is hoping for her not to utter the same. 

"I always love you too Sulli." 

Krystal doesn't know on why her eyes seem to water and her heart seem to ache as those words escaped Amber's mouth. 

Was it because she can't win the bet? 

Or was it because she didn't win someone else's heart? 

To be continued... 

~~~~~

A/N: What's up everyone?! How are you coping with everything that's happening? It's been a while since I last updated and I'm truly sorry for it. It's just that I can't seem to have enough motivation to write these past few months. I'll apologize again for the boring update. I need this build up for the much awaited confession oppxxxx look forward to it lol I already planned everything out. I just hope that my online classes wouldn't hinder myself too much from writing. Till then :) 

Any constructive criticsms and advices with regards to my writing style would be truly appreciated. Help me improve my writing style please. I really didn't know if I am doing it right so puhleaseee do share your thoughts. 🙏

PS. Excuse me for any mispelled words. It's actually midnight when I wrote this one and I'm kinda sleepy already hehe.