❀ 3 | pretty average

pretty boy 。❀
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Seoul, August 2017

"So, apart from that prestigious journalism program that you worked so hard to get in, meeting BTS' V was the highlight of your summer?"

Across from me, my college best friend, Soo Yeong bit into her cone of strawberry flavored ice cream. We were hanging out in that mid-August afternoon outside of ice cream parlor in her neighborhood. I had just come back from my journalism program with quite a lot to disclose to Soo Yeong.

"I mean, that's not the only highlight." I rolled my eyes. "That was just an interesting part of my summer."

"And you're still talking to him?" Soo Yeong asked, dubiously. 

I looked down at my phone. Taehyung hadn't replied back to my message I sent last night, but seeing him on live music shows every other night kind of gave me the answer to why his responses came infrequently. 

"Yeah, we would text each other when we had the chance," I replied. "Or rather, when he wasn't so busy with his schedules."

Soo Yeong raised an eyebrow. "If you weren't such an honest person all the time, I wouldn't have believed you Min Jung."

My best friend's doubt was understandable and expected. I mean, here I was - an average girl from Seoul, talking to one of the most popular young Korean pop stars. Also, he recently just debuted his solo project, so his availability and interest in me is next to impossible now with the lack of free time he has.

"Here," I said, suddenly, picking up my phone. In my photo stream, I scrolled past images from Los Angeles landed on what I wanted to show Soo Yeong. I handed my phone to her.

"Oh my God!" She exclaimed, almost dropping her ice cream cone. She scrolled through the photos. There were quite a few selcas of Taehyung and me. "You really weren't lying."

I shrugged. "Why would I lie about this?"

Soo Yeong handed my phone back. "True. I'm a little surprised, though. Do you really like him?"

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. It's just that after that thing with your ex, I thought you were kind of done dating the flower boy types."

I wrinkled my nose. Soo Yeong had a point there.

"I didn't say I was going to date him."

"But you are talking to him," she challenged. 

"It's nothing serious..."

A playful smile formed at the corner of my best friend's lips. "Ah, I see you, Jjungie~ You can't fool me."

"Yah..." I contested. "I'm not kidding. Taehyung's a busy idol. What would he want to do with me anyway? I'm pretty average."

Soo Yeong gave me a knowing look. Across from us at another table, she caught a boy staring at me. He shamefully looked down at his book when he found her looking at him. Soo Yeong looked back at me.

"Pretty average?" She shook her head, smiling. "You're everything but."

 

#

 

I was having dinner with my family at a restaurant when I finally received a text from Taehyung. I nearly jumped out of my seat, had not it been for my parents both sitting at either sides of me, and my dad's business partner and his family sitting across from us. I felt the uncontrollable urge to open up the messaging app and reply back to this boy, but proper table manners forebode me from doing so. Also, he took nearly two days to reply back. I think him waiting a few minutes for my reply wouldn't kill him. Not like he was dying to hear back from me or anything.

Still, I glanced at the notification on the main screen. My heart leapt, seeing that he had sent an apology for his late reply, and then another one after that asking me if I had had dinner already. How sweet of him. 

"That name sounds familiar." 

I perked my head up to see my mom looking over my shoulder at my phone. Startled, I turned off the screen of my phone. 

"What?" I stuttered out.

"Kim Taehyung?" She pronounced, looking up, as if to rack her brain for his name. After a minute, she turned her eyes back to me. "Ah yes, I remember now. BTS? Big Hit Ent

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter