before you; two (2)

us colliding.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Just breathe, you’re doing well.” Chaeyoung leaned against the building’s bricked walls while she held Jennie’s hair back.

“Don’t.” Jennie warned her with a finger up to stop while she focused on not puking. After a few moment of pulling herself together Jennie tilted her head up to take in the fresh air.

“You sure you have a license?” Narrowing her eyes at Chaeyoung.

“If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have hit that corner smoothly.” She pushed herself off the wall.

“You called that smooth? This is not the Grand Pix, Park.” She walked with Chaeyoung, her hand flailing.

They argued lightly how Chaeyoung should be driving under the speed limit and once they entered the building, it was dark but lit up by colourful disco lights. There were few people inside and the roller skating rink was huge with a lot of space.

Jennie’s eyes went half lidded as she observed the place.

“This place used to be filled with people.”

“Brings back memories ha?” Chaeyoung walked backwards with her hands in her pocket, Jennie nodded eyes on the family of three that were happily skating together. Chaeyoung took this opportunity to look at Jennie’s side profile.

Took her breath away and she almost voiced out her thoughts if she wasn’t biting her tongue.

Beautiful.

Seeing a glimpse of sadness in her eyes, the taller frowned slightly. She poked the girl lightly on her arm and that got her attention.

“Did you just poke me?” Jennie looked at her incredulously with a gummy smile.

“Come on, let’s get in.” She chuckled.

-

-

Jennie had slide into the rink smoothly, letting her legs follow the memories of her previous times spent here. It felt natural to her as she spun around freely. Stopping on her tracks, she realized the Rebel Leader wasn’t with her and so she looked at the entrance of the rink Jennie snorted at the girl’s state.

“Um… You good?”

Crossing her arms clearly amused at how Chaeyoung was struggling to hold onto the sides with stoic expression.

“Yup! Never – never better. Just need to – whoah. Stable myself real quick.” She almost slid down if it weren’t for the door.

Squinting her eyes with a devilish smirk, “Oh my gosh. Don’t tell me that the school’s infamous bad girl doesn’t know how to skate?” She skated slowly stopping infront of Chaeyoung.

“I have skated – but – those couple of first times were bad experiences and so I never … knew how to.” Leaning against the railings as she smiled confidently which made Jennie giggle. 

“And you still went here with me knowing full well you at this?”

“Yeah.”

They were close, arms grazing against each other as they observed the other’s face in curiosity.  Chaeyoung looked like she was about to risk it all at the moment but if it weren’t for Jennie pushing herself away from the sides she might have did.

Offering her hands, “Come on. I’ll teach you.”

-

-

“This isn’t working –“

“No you need to let your legs free – staying stiff wouldn’t get you an inch from your spot right now.” Jennie laughed at the girl who was standing as still as a pole to prevent herself from falling.

“it’s good that you seem to be enjoying this ha.” Chaeyoung deadpanned.

“I’m sorry! Come on this is easier than riding a motorbike.”

“Easier? I can ride my motorbike with my eyes closed.”

“That doesn’t sound safe, Chaeyoung.” Jennie shook her head worriedly.

“Metaphorically saying. Well on the bright side I’m glad you’re enjoying my suffering.”

“My, such an accusation.” She clicked her tongue skating around Chaeyoung who struggled to follow her gaze. “But you’re right, I am.”

Rolling her eyes at the dumpling cheeked girl, she huffed. Suddenly their conversation was cut short when a mic boomed followed by a voice, “Testing, testing. One, two, three.”

The both of them looked to the side and saw a guy presumably the DJ of the place looked hype even if there weren’t many people.

“It’s good to see all of you skaters out there ! How are ya’ll doin’?!” He shouted in the mic causing Jennie to cringe and Chaeyoung too but with a smile. The only one to respond to the DJ was  a man who came here alone with a loud ‘Woo!’ but then slowly turned silent when he saw no one joined him.

“Well I’m glad someone’s enjoying their time here.” Pointing at the lonely man with a wink. “I’m your DJ for tonight and I’m about to make your night groovier than it already is.” His voice turned low hoping to sound cool but came out awkward with the only response he got was from the same man that clapped for him.

“It’s DJ Khaled -“ Chaeyoung whispered to Jennie and they both snorted.

“No it’s aviicii.” Hitting Chaeyoung’s arm who gasped in response. “What?”

“Aviicii’s dead.”

“Oh What? Noooo I’m sorry.” Laughing whilst feeling guilty of the joke she made. Pouted when Chaeyoung wouldn’t stop laughing. “I can’t believe you didn’t know that but it’s a good thing you knew he was a DJ.” Wiping her tears away.

“Stop laughing –“ She snorted herself and did her best to cover her laughter. “I didn’t knooow.”

Meanwhile, the DJ squinted his eyes around the skating floor and brightens up when he saw the two girls laughing and enjoying each other’s presence.

“You two Love Birds over there!”

Pointing at Chaeyoung and Jennie. The taller girl frowned in confusion as she looked behind her but was met with no one and when she looked at the DJ again her eyes widened. She pointed her index finger to her face, “Wait, are you talking to me – to us?”

Nodding in confirmation. Jennie’s eyes widened at the implication and Chaeyoung nervously shook her head.

“What!? We’re not –“ Chaeyoung started.

“It’s not like that!”

“We’re just –“

Chaeyoung looked at Jennie confusingly. .What were they exactly?

Jennie blinked trying to process the exact same thought.

“Friends?”

Were they friends? They never even came into terms with what they were. Their encounter had always been spontaneous and they would briefly acknowledge the other for a second before scurrying off to elsewhere.

“Well you can’t fake the dynamic between two people – trust me. Love is in the air and I can smell it.” He creepily made the action of smelling that could be heard through the speaker loudly. Chaeyoung cringed even while Jennie deadpanned, “Is he serious?”

“Yeah you’re getting the vibe all wrong, dude.” Gesturing between herself and Jennie while the shorter pursed her lips at Chaeyoung’s silly attempt to get the DJ to listen to her however the DJ had already set his mind. Grabbing Chaeyoung’s wrist, Jennie shook her to calm down but the girl tried to hush her. “No – no I got this.”

“This first song is dedicated to the two girls on the dance floor- “ The record scratched. “Enjoy.”

Jennie laughed at the girl who flailed and dropped her hands to her side in defeat as the melody of the song started.

Chaeyoung smiled at the girl infront of her who seems to be enjoying herself.

“He’s the walking proof that men don’t listen.” Teasing jennie and poking her side. Jennie giggled covering her exposed abdomen with a shrug of her shoulder.

The slow song came up and came down a sparkly disco ball that was illuminated by a single spotlight while the room turned dark.

“I don’t know about you but the song’s tight.” Jennie did a little body wave as Chaeyoung laughed. “Come on, I think that’s enough of roller skating for you newbie.” Pulling at Chaeyoung’s forearm as she guided them towards the entrance of the roller rink.

-

-

They were sat at the bench just outside of the rink watching the empty place as they talked. Sitting side by side with their skates at the side ready to be returned at the counter later.

“It’s just I don’t peg you as the bookish type – not that I’m stereotyping you since you have a badgirl persona it’s – it’s!“ Jennie was at loss for words, she didn’t know how to explain while her hands were waving around trying to spit her words out hoping Chaeyoung would understand.

The latter laughed in her seat. “It’s what ha Jennie Kim?” tilting her chin up, edging the girl to say it.

“It’s like going against all story plot in any teenage rom-com!”

They both turned silent for a moment before cringing.

“Why are you comparing us to a rom-com, Jennie. You could’ve done better.”

“I don’t know! Just forget what I said that was weird.”

Laughter erupted between them.

“But honestly – I wouldn’t expect you’re the type to go deep into literature let alone Dialogues of Plato without dozing off.”

“Actually i did. No really but it’s only every time Socrates would open his mouth because he never stops to prove himself right.” Jennie snorted right before giggling at Chaeyoung’s confession. “You’re right! He never shuts up.”

Clearing , “Well, um.. I come from a family that loves reading; technically reading is like our life.” She sat sideways facing Jennie as the bench was in between her legs. Jennie followed suit with a playful smile and the latter laughed a little at this.

“Really now?”

Nodding, “Yeah, we have like a mini library in our house. Most are books inherited from mom’s side of the family. She got it from grandpa and she was the only one among her siblings to actually appreciate books. I guess that’s a little bit info on my life.” Chaeyoung stopped with a shrug. This made Jennie scoff in disappointment.

“Oh don’t just stop there! More, tell me more.” She ushered the blonde who refused.

“Why am i the only one sharing. You’re being really greedy!” Chaeyoung defended herself.

“Well if I start sharing now it’ll be weird to cut you off.” She crossed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter