romeo, you're late.

us colliding.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Putting on a plain white muscle t-shirt and my usual black slacks, I glanced at my LED clock indicating the time hit 11:30 PM. I grabbed my converse and slipped them on followed by stuffing my sketch book into my backpack and grabbed my helmet.

Slowly exiting my bedroom, I tiptoed around the house and stayed as quiet as possible to not alarm anyone of my late night sneak off.

Satisfied that I successfully reached at the bottom of the staircase without being caught, I went to open the front door.

“Sneaking off again?”

“!” I cursed under my breath out of shock. I clenched my fist to compose myself. “Don’t do that.” Grumbling as I squinted my eyes to adjust it through the darkness and found none other than my father. Sighing out loud I leaned against the wall in defeat. He stood up from his seat and walked to lean his side against the living room’s door frame.

He held an expectant look making me nervously scratch my neck. I tried hiding the helmet behind my back but failed knowing he already saw me holding it when I was coming down the stairs.

“Where were you going?” Sternly asking me.

I looked between my father and the floor with a look only a child would have when they’ve done something wrong like vandalize a wall with colour pencils. He arched an eyebrow waiting for my answer.

“Just…. out, going to get some fresh air.” I had to grimace internally at how awful my excuse was.

“Is that right? Getting some fresh air doesn’t require your motorcycle keys, helmet and a backpack ha?”

I swallowed down once I had no other answer to give him. He sighed disappointingly and shook his head. “Up to your room.” His decision seemed ultimate as he crosses his arm and ushered me towards the strairs. “Dad please, I’ll be back before sunrise!” Whispering with a begging tone.

“You’ve done that last night and you came back with bruises in the evening. You have no idea how that made your mother and I feel.” He reasoned.

The digital clock on the wall showed that it was 15 minutes before midnight. I gripped the strap of my bag.  Dad tapped his foot and adjusted his glasses and his body language told me there was no negotiating.  There’s no use but to use the big guns; the puppy dog eyes.

“Are you honestly using that on me right now?”

“Worth a shot.” I shrugged. “Dad weren’t you like this back in your days?”

“Rebellious? Definitely. I know where you’re getting at – between you and your sister, you’re more like me.”

I nodded with a satisfied smile. “That’s right so it’s no harm in letting me go for tonight –“ I start walking away towards the door but was pulled back by the collar and it almost choked me. Pouting, I crossed my arms. If people were to see me now they’d be confused if I am the Leader of a bunch on Rebels.

“Does not mean I’m giving you a green card to go out into the middle of night to god knows where for maybe another fight!” Taking my helmet away from my grasp and I whined. “Daaad.”

“I let you off this evening because you seem fine and I’m proud you could handle things but deep down I’m still worried and what if you’re unlucky the next time?”

I chuckled, rubbing my neck before taking a deep breath. “Dad, don’t worry I can assure you that I’m not going into another brawl.” Taking one of his hand in mine and I squeezed it. Tight lipped as he sighed.

“You know how I feel about lying, Chaeyoung.” he warned me softly and I shook my head. “I swear I’m not.”

Nervously, I avert my eyes and stared off into our street. I could see the night was cloudy, wind blew the trees around the house gently. “I’m…” biting my lip, I looked at my dad through my lashes.

“Going to Jennie’s.”

Hearing him sighed out in relief, he gave me a comforting smile. Rubbing his nose, he covered his mouth and tried to hide his laughter. Rolling my eyes at this I grimaced before hitting his shoulder. “Dad, come on stop being this way.”

“What – what do you mean? I’m acting normal.” He shrugged and awkwardly waved his hand before crossing it and lastly leaned against the wall. “I’m cool.”

“Gosh that was so embarrassing to watch. Are you going to act this way everytime I mention Jennie?”

“Whatever business you’ve got going on with your girlfriend is none of my business.”

“She’s not my girlfriend!”

“Your gal pal then –“

“EW what?! Dad, that sounded so wrong.” I covered my face.

“I’m sorry that came out wrong – I mean your friend that youuu like?” He tried to save the situation but it got worst. “It’s normal to be this way with Jennie since I started out as friends with your mother too and I remember how I used to sneak out all the time just for her –“

“DAD!”

While we were bickering, the loud whispers could be heard across the hallways causing footsteps to be heard coming from upstairs. “Honey, are you downstairs?” She whispered. “I think there’s a burglar!”

I froze and quickly hid in the darkness away from my mother’s peripheral view.  Dad smiled sheepishly.

She sighed in relief seeing him at the foot of the stairs waving at her.

“What are you doing down there? It’s getting late already.” She squint her eyes and pulled her robe close to her body as she shivered due to the cold air ventilation. “I was just making sure the door was locked and I’m heading up now.” He gestured towards the door and mom hummed in understanding. Footsteps slowly faded and we released a breath we didn’t know we were holding.

I smiled sheepishly and scratched my neck out of habit. “I’m sorry you had to lie to her.”

Glancing at me over his shoulder, he started walking up the steps. “Come back before sunrise.” My eyes widened and I fist pumped. “Oh and chaeyoung?”

He stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me with a smirk, “Next time if you want to sneak out, use the windows.” He shook his head and whispered, “Your old man did better.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes before side smiling. “Aye, boss.”

I adjusted the straps on my bag and wore my helmet, taking my motorcycle a few feet away from my house. I started the engine out of earshot and drove towards Jennie’s.

-

-

Arriving in Jennie’s block I switched off the engine and let inertia drive my slowly near her house and I stopped quietly parking my motor at the side of the wooden fence. Climbing, I almost fell on my landing but grateful that I managed to caught myself.

I glanced up at Jennie’s bedroom and found a yellow light illuminating her bedroom walls. It’s a sign that she was still up, a secret message between us meaning that I’m allowed to come in. Dragging my up the side, I swiftly climbed as if I was troy Bolton meeting his Gabriella from High School Musical.

I peered into the window and I could hear a soft tune and my eyebrow arched.

I Wouldn’t Ask You by Clairo.

I smiled cheekily when I saw Jennie taking out her clothes from her wardrobe and lay them on her bed. It’s something she does the day before school, choosing the right attire in advance.

Tapping her glass window, I could see that the corner of her lip upturned cutely before she turned to the side to look at me and we shared a smile. Her oversized sweater reached above her thigh showing off her legs as she tossed her hair to one side.

I sighed internally at how….. breathtaking she had me.

Jennie kneeled down beside the window we couldn’t help but stared at each other before she finally unlocked her window, opening it slightly as she leaned against the window. Our faces were inches apart as I gave her a toothy grin.

“Took you long enough.”

“I’m only 5 minutes late.” I glanced at her wall clock behind her and she looked over her shoulder. “I’d say it’s an acceptable amount of lateness, don’t you think?”

She rolled her eyes before squishing my cheeks. “Get your in here before I change my mind.”

She gave me space to slide in swiftly and when she turned around to continue what she was doing, I wrapped my arms around her waist and caught her by surprise. She yelped as I spun her around, giggling when I swayed us to the music.

“And you laughed at me when I was listening to this song earlier today.”

“Beacause you’re a dork.”

Turning her around, I feigned a hurt expression with a slight pout. “Ouch.”

We were so close that I could feel the warmth of her body and I’m pretty sure she could feel my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter