Chapter 7

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stare at the envelope in your shaky hands, having a strong urge to burn it, yet wanting to know what’s inside. Curiosity getting the best of you, and you finally bring yourself to slowly rip it open, suspense gnawing away at your stomach.

You pull out a letter and you unfold it to reveal Chanyeol’s handwriting. His handwriting has always been cute and organized. You couldn’t help but run your fingers over the small dents the words make in the paper.

There’s something else in the envelope.

You pour it out onto your hand and your stomach immediately drops.

His wedding ring.

You clutch it tightly in your hand, feeling the cutting bite into your palm.

You skim through his letter.

I wonder if you’re reading this letter? I’m afraid you might tear it up before you ever read it. But that’s fine, I suppose. I don’t expect you to care anyways.

I’m sorry. Truly. I didn’t treat you well and my justification for that is that I didn’t want to fall in love with you. I knew our marriage was fake, that it will have a deadline someday, but I was stupid and I ended everything myself.

I know you won’t forgive me. I know that no matter how many times I apologize it won’t fix anything.

I hurt you, I hurt myself. I ruined everything.

So now, I’m giving you back my wedding ring. We’re already divorced, so I have no reason to keep it anymore. It’ll only keep reminding me of my mistakes. It might be selfish of me, but I really don’t want to keep it with me anymore. You can do whatever you want with it. Throw it away if you want.

But please remember,

I will always love you.

- Park Chanyeol

Your immediate reaction was disbelief. Slowly, it morphed into anger.

You didn’t even know why you were so angry. You should’ve been happy. Chanyeol has given up. He isn’t going to chase after you anymore.

 

But why does it still hurt?

 

You’re clenching the paper so hard your knuckles turn white. You turn on your heel and hail a taxi, heading back to the studio where you know he still is. He’s a workaholic, so he often doesn’t leave until late at night.

There are still crew members who are cleaning up the set, and you stomp right past them to barge into Chanyeol’s waiting room.

He looks at you with wide-eyes, but he didn’t look surprised. You seethe as you step in, slamming the door shut behind you. “What’s the meaning of this?”

He stares at the ring you hold up. “Did you read the letter?”

“Yes.” You spit before your face falls. “…Why?”

“I’m giving you the ring back.” He turns towards you, his face calm and neutral. “I’m breaking it off permanently. Isn’t that what you wanted?”

 

Yes.

 

No.

 

“You’re so ing selfish.” You feel tears sting your eyes. You don’t know what to say, he’s right. But why are you acting like this? “You’re always so ing selfish. You said you love me, but you didn’t even stop me from leaving.”

Chanyeol stands up abruptly, the chair screeching behind him. His eyes are blazing with anger and you’re taken aback.

“Yes I am ing selfish!” He roars, his form hovering above you. “You blame me for not stopping you? Then tell me. Tell me!” His voice shakes with intense emotion, his eyes glossy. “Would you have stayed even if I stopped you? Would you?”

His voice drops before he takes a step back, in a shaky breath.

You go silent as you stare at each other.

 

Would you?

 

No, you probably wouldn’t. You were too fed up with him, and that’s why you chose to divorce him in the first place.

His hopeless expression pains you. He’s right.

You bite your lip and look down, unable to answer.

“Yeah.” He breathes. “Thought so.” He brushes past you and leaves the room.

 

The silence has never been so deafening.

 

You stare at the two wedding rings that the both of you once wore. You turn his ring over in your hand, admiring the detailed design that is engraved in it. Underneath is your wedding date and the initials of you and Chanyeol.

“Why do you hesitate?” You jump at the voice and glance up. Yixing takes a seat next to you in the café.

You had the entire night thinking about what happened, and what to do next. Should you film the kiss scene like Junmyeon wants? Or just leave it as it is since you already filmed basically everything?

Should you accept his ring and forget he ever existed? Or should you give it back and go back to him?

You used th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter