Chapter 3

Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh wow,” Baekhyun says sarcastically. “I thought you would never call me again with all your moping.”

“Now’s not the time.” Chanyeol sighs exasperatedly. “…I need help.”

“You came to the right guy.” Baekhyun crosses his hands and sits up a bit straighter, mocking a doctor. “Tell Dr. Baekhyun what’s wrong.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes at his best friend but starts anyways. “I think something’s wrong with me.”

“Really,” Baekhyun sneers. “Took you long enough to figure that out.”

“I’m serious.” He deadpans. “I haven’t been able to sleep well, and—I don’t know. I feel like I have depression.”

“Depression.” Baekhyun repeats. “Well, I mean, that’s not impossible. I guess the divorce has a bigger impact on you than I thought.”

“It has nothing to do with the divorce.” Chanyeol urges, but it’s quiet and unconvincing. He doesn’t even believe it himself. “…But I did have a dream about how we got married last night.”

Baekhyun purses his lips as he looks at Chanyeol dead in the eyes. He wants Chanyeol to know that he’s serious right now, and not trying to joke. “Have you ever considered that you love her?”

Chanyeol blinks. “What?”

“I’m serious.” Baekhyun says. “It’s very possible. You look and act exactly like a man who’s heartbroken.”

The thought has never even occurred to Chanyeol. Him, in love with you? It sounds absurd.

But then again, it’s not so absurd.

“I…No.” He quickly shakes his head. “Definitely not. It’s…it’s not like that.”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes at his oblivious best friend. “I’m pretty sure it’s like that. Just so you know, she likes you too. But you’re too dumb to realize and now she’s gone.”

Words leave Chanyeol mind. He can’t form a coherent thought as information bounces around his skull.

He loves you.

You love him.

You’re gone.

A laugh bubbles from his lips. The hopelessness of it all. “No. It’s not like that.”

It doesn’t really matter now, whether he likes you or not, because you’re already gone. There’s no way he’s ever going to see you again.

“By the way,” Baekhyun interrupts his train of thought with a small grin. “Jongdae knows where she lives. In fact, he’s going to meet her right now.”

“Cozy.” Jongdae chirps as he takes a look around your new apartment; it’s much, much smaller than your old one, but it’s comfy and homey.

“Right?” You smile as you pour some tea for your friend. “How’s it going?”

“I should be asking you that.” He thanks you softly for the tea before staring at you pointedly. “How are you doing?”

“Good.” You say as you sit opposite to him, taking a sip from your cup. “No more busy schedules like I used to have. I can finally relax and enjoy life a little.”

“…And Chanyeol?” Jongdae’s voice drops to a whisper.

You falter. “What about him?”

“Do you…miss him?” Jongdae asks cautiously, carefully weaving his way through land mines. He doesn’t want to push your buttons.

“…A little bit.” You admit honestly. “But I mean it’s only been a month. It’s to be expected after I lived with him for four years.”

“He misses you.” Jongdae purses his lips as he looks at his tea. “A lot. He’s overworking himself and we’re all worried. I think you should go visit him or something.”

“I don’t want to see him.” You say flatly, your voice ringing out in the quiet house. Jongdae doesn’t speak for several seconds.

“Do you hate him?” Jongdae asks quietly, his eyes glancing up at yours curiously.

“No.”

“Then do you love him?”

His question catches you off guard. Your eyes widen as you stare at the male in front of you, a grin slowly growing on his face. You try to recompose yourself and answer, “He’s a good friend.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” He points out and you bite your lip. You were trying to avoid his question, but Jongdae is sharp and persistent. “It’s a simple question: do you love him? Yes or no.”

Simple question? It doesn’t seem like a simple question to you. You bite your lip and looking in his bright eyes, you know there’s no point lying or pretending. You trust him, and he’s always been a loyal friend. “Yes.”

“Then why divorce?” He asks incredulously. You let out a sarcastic laugh.

“Why divorce?” You repeat. “Because he doesn’t love me.”

“He does!” Jongdae is out his seat now, his eyes wide in attempt to make you believe him. “Chanyeol loves you, he really does. He’s going crazy without you. Just go back to him!”

You smile up at him sadly, your eyes trained on him as he slowly sinks back into his seat, his lips curled downwards in a small frown. “Maybe. But I didn’t feel loved those four years I was ‘married’ to him.” You purse your lips. “I liked him back when we were still friends. His proposal touched me. I knew it wasn’t the wisest choice to accept everything. But I did. Because I would rather Chanyeol marry me than anyone else even if there was no love.

“And now…I’m fed up. I’ve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter