Friends

The Path I Take for You

"Are you here to yell at me?" The girl was angry at the person in front of her.

 

"No... I've lost that right a long time ago." She replied as she looked at her dead in the eyes. No emotions of resentment but loss and pain. She continued her talk seeing as the fuming girl wasn’t replying. "She deserves you more than me. I don’t know where in this relationship ended but trust me that I know she deserves the world if not more. If its not with me than it should he with you since...," She drew in a shaky breath and fiddled with her fingers before they lightly brushed an aching wrist that no one has yet to notice. "You make her happier than I could ever do." She confessed as she gave her a reassuring smile. The girl didn’t believe her words not a single bit but Sua didn’t care. She was dying anyways what matters is that the one she loves is in good hands.

 

 


 

“You know I heard from the news that staying up late in the cold is bad for your health,” A smooth yet tired voice filled the silent room and brought Sua’s attention to her lover. She gave her a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes before turning her head back to the moon. 

 

“I heard from scientists that today’s moon would be blood red and I kind of wanted to see it.” Sua replied as she heard the soft padding of feet grow louder towards her. She felt two soft, warm arms envelope her into an embrace. A kiss on the head and her back slowly becoming warm in her lover's embrace.

 

“If you are going to be seeing the moon then I’ll join you. I hear looking at nice things should be shared to the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,” She whispered right at the shell of Sua’s ear which made her hum in response. She loved the feeling she had while being in her arms. It was as if they were frozen in time and nothing could destroy it. “Also, you’re bad at lying. What is really making you stay up right now?” She gently coaxed as her arms tightened around Sua. Afriad that Sua might disappear without a trace.

 

“Nothing I can’t handle, love,” Sua turned around to look into her beautiful brown eyes that had a little hint of yellow in them which made it all the more special. That's how much Sua paid attention to her lover. Finding things that no one else could see. Attentive to details that made her feel special and should be treated as a queen.“Nothing I can’t handle.” She repeated to her lover and she embraced her as if it was her last happy moment with her.

 


 

Sua woke up in a white room with a periodic sound of beeping. She was about to itch the inside of her arm when she remembered that there was an IV line stuck to it.

 

“I see someone’s finally awake,” A foreign voice called as Sua looked at the intruder with a glare only to soften it. 

 

“Nurse Siyeon… how long have I been out?” Sua asked as Siyeon looked at her with a smile.

 

“Just a couple of hours nothing too bad from the last time I’ve seen you at the hospital. I swear you gave me a heart attack when you would only sleep for 30 minutes a night.” Siyeon shook her head when she was on her night shift and found Sua just making paper planes out of tissue papers the entire time.

 

“I told you I wasn’t tired and I hate using drugs for such a simplistic thing.” Sua shrugged and didn’t let Siyeon know that she hadn’t been sleeping at all for the past week. She didn’t feel rested even when she woke up a minute ago.

 

“I know you don’t feel tired but if you don’t get enough sleep it will cause damage to the body,” Siyeon’s voice was filled with concern as she read Sua’s file when she was assigned to the current floor she resided in. 

 

“My body has already been damaged to the point that a little sleep won’t hurt it anymore.” Sua said nonchalantly as she didn’t have the will to live. Not anymore.

 

“But don’t you want to get out of this hospital and enjoy life more,” Siyeon was getting too emotionally involved with this sickly pale person. Not once has she seen Sua pass on as healthy and she desperately wanted to see it but each time Sua was admitted it just became worse and worse. 

 

Sua shook her head and replied, “I have already enjoyed life, seen many things, felt many emotions, found love, experienced heartbreak, fulfilled dreams, cried over the harsh reality, and best of all have no regrets.” Sua closed her eyes in contempt as she felt that there was nothing left she needed to do except the aching feeling of not letting her ex-lover know the truth. 

 

“I don’t believe for a second that you don’t have any regrets. It says it all on your face.” Siyeon pointed it out as she could see the pained expression come across Sua’s face. Sua looked at Siyeon with tired eyes.

 

“There is nothing I can do about it anymore. I have made my bed and now I’m sleeping in it.” That was all she said before looking out the window purposely shutting her out and diving into the memories of her love one. 

 

Siyeon clenched her teeth and left the room and she went to the counter.

 

“Bad encounter huh,” Gahyeon said as she was typing away files into the computer that needed updating.

 

“It wasn’t as bad as last time,” Siyeon said with a small smile. She opened Sua’s file and stared at her papers but only one thing came to her attention. There was no emergency contact filled out on her file. “Hey Gahyeonie?” Siyeon called out.

 

“Yeah?” Gahyeon lazily replied as she was clicking save on the patient's file.

 

“How come Sua doesn’t have an emergency contact filled down? We can’t treat her without her having a support system.” Siyeon said as she remembered what she learned all the way back from the days she was a trainee. 

 

“It’s not like it wasn’t filled out. It’s just a special case and I suggest you leave it alone.” Gahyeon pointed out as Siyeon huffed as she stared at the huge x mark on the paper. It was looking as if it was taunting her. That Sua was telling her to leave her alone. To let her wither and die while someone out there could possibly save her from her destruction. The more she looked the more she became agitated and she grabbed Sua’s file and marched right back into Sua’s room.

 

“Why don’t you have an emergency contact?” Siyeon immediately said the moment she entered Sua’s room. Sua was still looking out the window and Siyeon walked into Sua’s line of sight. “I’m going to ask you again. Why don’t you have an emergency contact?” Sua gazed at Siyeon but wasn’t really looking at her. She was too far into her memories to pull herself out.

 


 

“It’s like I don’t know you anymore!” She screamed at Sua while tossing the evidence onto the table for Sua to see. She knew what they were about and how easily misunderstood it would seem but that was it. She made it seem like that. She needed to push her away before it was too late. She hated hurting her like this but it was the only way for her lover to obtain happiness. 

 

“Would you believe me if I said it was all for you?” Sua said knowing that it’ll get a bad reaction out of her.

 

“For me? FOR ME!” She shouted at the top of her lungs. “You think cheating on me with another was all for me? In what kind of sick twisted mindset do you think that I want you to cheat on me? Was the last 5 years mean nothing to you? Do you not know me well enough after all these years?” Her lover was fuming and this was the reaction she needed from her. 

 

I do know you well enough. I know that you’ve been cheated on in the past and I promised that no matter what I wouldn’t and I haven’t. I made it look like I did. I did it so you don’t have to cry by my bedside wallowing in guilt thinking that you should have seen the signs. Living only in the past and not move on. I need you to move on from me because I’ll be gone before you know it. I know you would cry yourself to sleep hoping that my death would be a dream. I know that you would choke up in tears celebrating my birthday, our anniversaries, the holidays that made our moments go wow all by yourself thinking that I am still with you. This is the only way to know that you would forget about me. Something hurtful had to be done and it’s better for me to experience that pain than you. That’s how much I love you and I can’t sacrifice your future that is still bright on me that is slowly dimming out. I love you Kim Jiu. I always have and I always will.

 

Sua only smiled with tears running down her eyes. “One day it’ll all make sense,” Sua said in a calm voice hoping that she wouldn’t break. This is the only time that she can’t see that I’m lying. 

“Get out,” Jiu said as she couldn’t fathom to see her. “Get out of here and never come back, I hope you rot wherever you go.” She spat out with venom that Sua’s heart ached. She wanted to tell her the truth but she couldn’t. She feared that Jiu would go into depression after this fight. For being so wrapped up into her emotions that she couldn’t see her properly. “What are you still doing here get out now!” Jiu saw Sua and grabbed a chair and flung it at Sua. Sua flinched but didn’t dodge she let the chair hit her. Pain shot up from her front but seeing Jiu’s satisfied smile made her know that Jiu fully hates her. She walked out of the apartment knowing that this is the end of their beautiful relationship. 

 


 

“Hello? I’m talking to you” Siyeon snapped her fingers at Sua who was now fully back from her memories.

 

“Hmm?” Sua said lazily as she felt too weak to do anything else.

 

“I asked why you don’t have an emergency contact filled out.” Siyeon was annoyed at how easily Sua could ignore her surroundings. She had been calling out to her for a good 5 minutes.

 

Sua thought back to her filing out the papers. She knew that she had to put someone down and there was only one person in mind. Jiu. She could see Jiu holding her hand if she was in the hospital room. With her red eyes from crying and her nose sniffling while she smiled knowing that Sua was still alive. Her heart dropped knowing that she would willingly put her through that. All the waiting and hoping that she would be alright. Sua smiled at Siyeon.

 

“I have no one in this world. Just me against the world.” Siyeon could see that there was something Sua was hiding and she wanted to find out no matter what the cost is. 

 

“You at lying you know that.” Siyeon stated as Sua flinched as she remembered Jiu telling her about it. 

 

“I know.” Sua tried to shrug. Siyeon sighed and showed Sua her file with the emergency contact crossed out and quickly wrote down her information. Sua looked at Siyeon. “What are you doing?” She said as she watched Siyeon write something down.

 

“Filling out your emergency contact information with my info.” Siyeon said without hesitation.

 

“Why? Why would you do that?” Sua asked as she didn’t want to believe it.

 

“Because you aren’t alone and I’ll be damned to think that no one wants you to die a lonesome death with no one to mourn you.” Siyeon stated as she finished writing the information down. “Plus, you need as much support as you can get now that you are in this hospital for cancer.” Siyeon said as she extended her hand towards Sua. “Let’s reintroduce ourselves. Hi, my name is Lee Siyeon I am a nurse to the cancer patients ward and I’m looking forward to becoming your best friend.” She said with a smile.