Escape

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Selfie Book - Level Up! Project 3 (Irene & Seulgi))

No new outifts so here's a picture of them being absolutely adorable

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Upon stepping into the venue, Seulgi did her best not to just wander off and stare at everything, and stay close to her boss. The venue seemed to be set up in a typical fashion; the difference being that everything was bumped up a notch. The red carpet that was laid on the outside continued straight through the heart of the venue, and ended at a flight of stairs, presumably leading to another large room. Tables with exquisite velvet cloths were everywhere, with glasses of champagne placed into pyramids. The lights above were tinted to a soft yellow/gold, giving the venue a grand atmosphere, and everything seemed to be perfectly polished and sparkling for some reason. 

The bodyguard quickly brought her gaze back to eye-level as sensed somebody approach. It was an old man in a suit, someone she didn't recognise. In the short period of time that she had worked for Irene, she had come to know that apparently she was someone well-regarded and popular in the fashion business. What she didn't know, was how popular Irene was. As the man shook hands with her boss and put on a mature smile, Seulgi could already sense that there were several pairs of eyes on her boss. There were people talking amongst themselves whilst staring into their general direction, and some seemed to be annoyed that someone had beaten them to the chase, and were looking were opportunities to start a conversation. Glancing back to Irene, a second man had joined the conversation. Presumably the partner of the first man. Seulgi couldn't exactly hear what the conversation was about with all the chatter going on, but she did pick up a few words like 'congratulations' and 'sponsorship'. 

It all seemed a bit too camp, for bodyguard who had just started her job a couple of weeks ago. 

As the conversation carried on for a bit, a steward came to her side, holding up two glasses of champagne on a steel tray. Smiling with a polite nod, Seulgi gracefully took one, being sure to hold the stem of the glass.

She turned back around, but in the corner of of her eye she spotted that the steward hadn't moved. At all. 

He stood where he was, staring at the lone glass still on the steel tray.

Seulgi stared back, her mind blank.

Okay...?

What am I.... supposed to....

The steward diverted his gaze to Iren-

Oh ! Righttttttt~

Stupid Seulgi. 

Seulgi almost apologetically took the second glass, trying to hold back a cheeky grin. The steward gave another kind smile, this one brighter than the first, then went on his way. 

Ugh no one taught me stuff like this...

As she turned back round, Irene had coincidently finished her conversation, giving one final handshake and a curt bow. 

'Ms Bae.' Seulgi started.

'Seulgi.'

Seulgi raised one of the glasses in her hand to Irene.

She was barely able to hide the pride in her expression. She was almost beaming, as if a puppy had managed to find a particularly interesting stick.

Irene also found herself strugglng to hold back a smile.

'Why thank you.'

'No problem Ms. Bae.'

'I never knew you had manners like that.'

...

...

two seconds ago

literally, I learnt that I had to do that two seconds ago

'I- um.....ahh-'

'Good evening Ms. Bae. You look rather dashing tonight.'

Before Seulgi had the chance to think of anything, another man had approached them, and stuck out his hand.

Giving a final glance at Seulgi, turned back around, a smile painted on her face again. Seulgi politely took a step back, a light wave of disappointment seeping into her, without her even knowing it.

And that was pretty much how the start of the night went. Everytime Irene had finally managed to end a conversation, some other person would pop up, and Irene would have the same smile on her afterwards. There was even an interview, where she spoke about Aspire and what she had in store for the company. After what seemed like an eternity, the event finally started, and the guests were ushered up the stairway, where a runway was placed in the middle of the large hall.

It was clear that the hall was a lot more modern than the area outside. It was dimly lit, with spotlights blazing onto the runway in the middle. Seats were placed adjacent to the runway, almostly seemingly forming a long bench. 

'Ugh... finally...' Irene muttered, gracefully sitting down in her seat.

'Everything alright... Ms. Bae?'

'Just a bit stiff I guess.... hey sit up straight.'

Seulgi almost gulped, quickly straightening her back. 

The fashion show didn't take long to start. The lights in the hall dimmed, save for the spotlights illuminating the runway. After an announcer said a few words in an exuberant manner, only half of which Seulgi managed to understand, models came strutting down the runway, in all sorts of peculiar clothes. 

And it didn't take Seulgi long to notice that there was a trend going on. 

Basically, this was a contest for how weird designers could make clothes. Random pieces of fabric stuck here and there. Sizing that was completely off. Colours that made even highlighters look dull.

Seeing all of this, she leaned towards her boss. 

'Ms. Bae.'

'Hmm...?'

Ugh her scent...

f-focus Seulgi! 

'Why do so many people attend events like these?'

'It's an important event in the industry. People show up to help maintain an image for their brand, and to expand their business circle.'

'So... they try to make connections here...?'

'In a way.'

'That's what those people talking to you back there were doing?'

'Yeah...'

'That's it?'

'Well it also gives the brand to show off their upcoming collections...'

'The clothes the models are wearing... aren't they a little... bizzare?'

Irene gave a chuckle. 

'This is high-end fashion Seulgi.'

'I just don't understand it. Who would actually wear clothes from a runway? They'd have to be mad.'

Irene stared down on herself.

'This dress. Miumiu 2017 collection.'

'A-ah-....'

'Do I look mad to you Seulgi?'

'W-what I meant was-...um...'

Irene gave a short laugh, diverting her gaze back to the runway.

You don't even know how beautiful you look tonight...

Seulgi muttered under her breath.

'S-so you bought the dress after you saw it on the runway?'

'Well...sort of.'

'Hmm..?' Seulgi piped up, curious. 

'The designers, they usually send me their work before they reveal it to the public.'

'Really? Why?'

'They... want my opinion on it.'

'Daebak... you're amazing Ms. Bae.'

Irene gave a light chuckle.

'I said I wanted dibs on this dress the first time I saw it.'

'Good choice.'

'You're not doing too bad either.'

Blood rushed into the bodyguard's cheeks as she struggled to find a reply. 

But that got her thinking. 

'Ms. Bae, I was wondering.'

'Yes?' Irene replied without turning her head. She seemed visibly bored.

'So, you've already seen all the clothes that are coming out...'

'Well most of them but yes.'

'You've already talked to your sponsors before the show started.'

'Yes.'

'And you've done the interview already.'

'Yes.'

'And you-'

'That's a lot of questions Seulgi. What's your point?'

'Well if you've done everything, why are we even still here?'

'The fashion show is the main event!' Irene replied, her tone a bit more heightened. 

'You're enjoying this Ms. Bae?'

'Ye-...'

'...'

'...'

'...'

'Look...' Irene sighed, lowering her head into her palms. 

She took a deep breath. 

'I'm trying to set a good example of a good ceo here, but I'm sorry I just can't.'

'M-ms Bae... have I said anything wr-'

'I'm bored as .'

'Oh.'

'...'

'...'

'...'

'I-... feel the same way too.'

'Guess we're stuck here huh?'

Irene felt her tone getting more and more casual. It had a sharp contrast with the rigid tone she had used when Seulgi had just started working.

'Could we take an early exit?'

'No...'

'Why not?' Seulgi asked bluntly.

'Because! It doesn't exactly send a good message to the organisers now does it.'

'So it's alright if no one notices?'

'...'

'And what would happen if anyone noticed.'

What would happen...

And what if they did? 

I'm Bae Joohyun what are they going to do about it.

'Okay then Seulgi.' Irene said, feeling a bit more awake now. 'Assuming that I give permission for 'us' to leave, how would we leave unoticed?'

'Ah! Now you see!' Seulgi replied, a big smirk appearing on her face. 'I did my homework Ms. Bae.'

'Hmmm?'

'You had me study everything about this event right?'

'I'm listening...'

'If we just walked out the main entrance obviously we'd be noticed. And if we used the emergency exits the alarms would sound. But, there's a door in the side of the hallway outside that leads to the kitchen. Presumably they use it to transport food here. The kitchen leads to a loading bay. We can make our way from there to the carpark, where the valet has taken it. 

'...'

'See? Just like skipping class. As long as you know the venue, you're good to go. Piece of cake.'

I guess... she isn't an airhead after all...

Should I be glad she's working for m-

Wait skipping class?

'You up for it Ms. Bae?' Seulgi asked, anticipating.

'I've... never skipped class before.' Irene admitted.

'With all due respect, I don't believe you Ms. Bae.'

'It's true.'

'...'

'...'

'I guess this is your first time then.' Seulgi said with a confident smile.

She stuck her hand, inviting Irene.

'Shall we go?'

The prospect of Seulgi holding her hand, was very inviting to Irene. She didn't know why though.

She stretched out her hand, laying it gently in Seulgi's. This was just like the time she had helped Seulgi with her photoshoot. Only this time, Seulgi was the one helping her. Ironic, how quickly the bodyguard had grown. From a nervous wreck to now being able to console her Ceo. And her hands felt different this time. They weren't shaky, they were steady. Irene could sense the confidence radiating from Seulgi. Either because she actually had an opportunity to use what she had studied, or simply because she was happy to leave. 

'Do you trust me Ms. Bae?'

Do I...?

'It's not really like I have a choice now do I.' Irene snorted without thinking.

Seulgi gave a pout.

'Do you?'

'...'

'...'

'Yes.'

'Alright then.' Seulgi beamed. 

Standing up first, the bodyguard then he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter