Past

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(181019 ICN)                                                                    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Park Sooyoung stepped out of Irene's office, and took a deep breath.

Time to start work again...

Joy had gotten to know Irene at university. At the time, Irene was already easily the prettiest girl around campus. And by a mile. Like a really long mile. No one even came close. She had this miraculous ability to make anyone that stood next to her falter in comparison, regardless of what they were wearing, how much makeup they had on. 

But on the contrary, she was also one of the coldest girls on campus. It wasn't that she wouldn't reply to anyone, she just wouldn't be the one to initiate conversation. If you asked her out nicely she would turn up, provided it didn't affect her schedule. And you couldn't except her to ask you back out in return, because she just wouldn't. Irene was completely content and focused with her own life. The goal of getting a perfect grade, as well as equipping herself the best she could for her future. She didn't really for trivial things such as relationships, or social circles. I mean, for Irene, there was always the odd boy that popped up, asking her out. How hard could it be to get in a relationship? All she had to do was accept one of the many requests from the long line that sat in her phone. Or the stack of love letters she paid no attention to. And everytime there was a houseparty or a ball, she would get an invitation. She was basically a diary for all the events that happened around campus. How did people even have trouble being invited parties? Irene wouldn't be able to attend all of them even if she wanted, since there were so many.

Everyone had their eyes on Irene. It was impossible not to. This girl made Kpop idols look like regular people.

And that was where Joy came in. 

Joy was the one that managed to see past Irene's good looks. Although the girl seemed to be the perfect model student, and could have everything she wanted, she was always alone for most of the time. And while Irene did seem perfectly content with her life, there was always a hint of loneliness that Joy could detect. During lunchtimes or holidays, of which Irene spent mostly alone. 

Getting Bae Joohyun to notice you is no easy feat, since she basically doesn't notice anyone.

As a result, Joy took the most straightforward method ever.

She walked straight up to Irene, introduced herself, and asked her out for lunch.

Irene at the time, was obviously startled, but had no reason not to accept. And for Joy, it was the most awkward lunch ever. First of all, having the entire cafeteria's gaze on you did not help. And secondly, talking to Irene at that time was something comparable to talking to a wall. The only replies she gave were 'oh' s, 'I see' s, and 'hmm' s. It wasn't that she didn't want to reply though, it was just that she wasn't used to someone being so warm to her. But obviously being the cheerful and determined girl that Joy was, this didn't stop her. She continued nagging Irene, day in and day out, until the girl had finally no choice but to accept her as part of her life.

They quickly became accustomed to each others' presence, and being the lonely person that she was, Irene spent almost all her time with Joy. They helped each other with their studies, problems, and graduated together with flying colours. After enrolling to Esquire together, they had worked hard and climbed up the ranks together, up until where they were at now.

However.

Despite being Irene's closest friend and almost family for so long, she had at no point, felt a single drop of attraction towards to her. Sure, she was as pretty as a human being could get, and the whole reason why Joy wanted to befriend Irene was she was intrigued by her, but there was scrictly no romance invloved between them.

But now, someone new had entered the scene.

Kang Seulgi.

This was someone who Irene would willingly take out to dinner.

That had less than a snowball's chance in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter