Tteokbboki

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(170323 ICN)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'Nghhh...'

Seulgi groaned, stretching her arms.

It's the first time I've worn this suit since Joy took me shopping...

Come to think of it, Ms. Bae hasn't seen me in this thing yet

I wonder what she'll say...

Wai-

And I ... looking forwards to her reaction? 

 

It had been a week since she had started work at Esquire. It wasn't a relaxing job; she had to accompany her boss wherever she went, and whenever she wasn't on the move she was sitting at her desk, typing away at this seemingly endless pile of work that she really didn't have to do, but had volunteered for. The extra workload wasn't difficult, just really dreary and boring. However, the good thing she was starting to get used to it. Although she had to get up even earlier than before, just to fulfil her promise of buying Irene tteokbboki everyday, she was feeling less and less sore with each morning. The sleepiness was still there though.

However, today was no ordinary day. An esteemed fashion event was being held in the heart of Seoul, where only the most appraised guests were invited. It was a large event, where the press would fight for coverage and interviews.

And to no surprise, Bae Joohyun was on the guest list.

This was going to be Seulgi's first public appearance with her boss. First things first, she had finally decided to put on her suit, complete with cufflinks and all. She still wasn't really used to wearing one, but Wendy had tailored it so that it fit like a glove. Following the instructions, she had already memorized everything she needed to. The rundown, any suspicious guests, the location of the emergency exits, and even designed alternate routes if things went south.

She had already gone over her plans countless times. And yet, she could still feel a sense of uneasiness wavering in her heart.

Just as more and more thoughts started to drift into her head, she heard a door open in the distance. Still leaning on the bonnet of the car, Seulgi turned her head, and found her boss walking down towards the car, still fixing her hair. Irene was wearing a crisp white t-shirt, tucked into a pair of black jeans. She wore a large overcoat, which came with baggy sleeves and went all the way down to her knees. And yet, it did little to hide her small and petite frame. To finish things off, a pair of glossy leather shoes covered her small feet, and they were cut low, to show off a bit of her ankle.

It was one of those type of looks that Irene seemed to rock everyday; somewhere between causal and formal. Yet, she pulled it off so well, Seulgi never seemed to get tired of it. 

'Good morning Ms. Ba-'

'Is my breakfa-'

'Yes Ms. Bae, it's in the car.' Seulgi replied almost immediately, sighing. 

Wait really?

That's it?

Over the past week of working as a bodyguard, Seulgi had tried saying good morning to her boss every morning. However, to her dismay, after she had offered to buy breakfast, Irene always seemed more interested in the food than her. 

 

I don't need you to buy her flowers everyday...

Just make her smile from time to time. Can you do that for me...?

Joy's words from that afternoon still echoed in her head. And after all this time, still hadn't been able to do much.

 

Seulgi frowned.

That was going to change, starting from today.

How am I supposed to make Ms. Bae smile, if all she cares about is her breakfast?

 

After opening the door for her boss, like she had done a million times already, Seulgi stepped in the car. She reached over to the tteokbboki in the seat beside her, to hand it to Irene.

Her hands brought the breakfast up, but then she put it down agai-

'WHY!!?' Irene suddenly blurted out.

She had been watching Seulgi the whole time.

Or more specifically, the tteokbboki in her hand that she was so precariously holding.

'Why did you put in down!!?' Irene continued. She almost seemed alarmed.

'Miss Bae.' Seulgi stated clearly.

'Yes Seulgi.'

'Before I give you thi-'

'Look, I can pay you back for this if you really want me to...' Irene muttered, already looking for her purse.

'What? I don't nee-'

'Or I'll just give you a bonus at the end of the month.'

'No I don't need that eit-'

'It's not the usual way, but I can arrange for it to be don-'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'MS. BAE' 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi blurted out arruptly. 

'...'

'...'

This was the first time, that Seulgi had ever interrupted Irene, mid-sentence.

Irene reel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter