Perfume

The Weather Was Nice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Jihoon! Please be careful!” Chan runs after the child whose face brightened up when he saw the huge playground at the center of the park. Jeonghan is facing their direction as he sits on a picnic table, reminiscing times when they would always come here and Jihoon wasn’t all that sad.

 

As he fiddles with his phone—it has become a habit—he listens intently to the rustling of leaves with the wind slightly howling, blowing his hair in different directions. The atmopshere was nicer than he expected and it was only past two in the afternoon.

 

*

 

“Yah, Hong Jisoo!”

 

His laugh resonates through the park as he and Jeonghan chase around.

 

From the basketball court not that far from the couple, Seokmin and Minghao look at them in a mix of disgust and happiness (they can’t quite put a finger on it) as they witness the famous back hug and spinning around the air kind of thing. The only difference is it’s between their gay friends.

 

“I’m getting too old for this .” Minghao sighs. Seokmin follows the ball dribbling away from his sight, then thinks of their other friend who promised them he’ll be arriving sooner or later. “Now where the is Mingyu?!”

 

Jeonghan is breathless when Jisoo puts him down. He turns around, looping his arms around the younger’s neck and rests their foreheads together.

 

“I love you.”

 

His smile falls instantly.

 

“What?”

 

“I said I love yo—“

 

“I know but, what?”

 

Jisoo makes an amused face.

 

*

 

“I see them! I see them!” Soonyoung presses his face on the window. “Can we get out of the car now?”

 

“Just wait a bit more.” Seungcheol laughs. He pulls on the breaks and removes the child lock, watching the kids run on their small feet. Luckily Seungkwan’s strong for his age as he carries the baby bag with him, then there’s Chan waving them over as they settle beside Jeonghan.

 

Seungcheol takes their things and Hansol, and marches toward them with his focus mainly on Jeonghan who’s smiling at air while Soonyoung animatedly tells him about something. Beside him is the high school boy, Chan laughing while having Jihoon on his lap.

 

“That really happened at school? You must be a real superhero then!”

 

“Yeah! Even Jihoon was in it!”

 

“Oh?” The boy curls himself more in Chan’s arms but a smile was playing on his lips.

 

“Hey,” Seungcheol sets the bags down. Jeonghan follows the sound of his voice and gives a small bow. “The kids said you’ll be at the park so I figured maybe they can just play with Jihoon.”

 

“Hm? How did they know we’ll be here?”

 

The older can’t help but notice how pretty Jeonghan is. For a guy he really is.

 

“Mingyu told me.”

 

While the kids (minus Hansol) are playing with Chan at the swings—poor high school boy running back and forth just to give each of them a light push—the two single parents coo at Hansol and his doe eyes.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking,” Jeonghan clears his throat. “I haven’t met your husband. Or wife. Not that I’m supposed to but Mingyu and Wonwoo—“

 

“Well,” Seungcheol shakes his head. “I’m a single parent.”

 

“Oh,” He doesn’t ask any more if it was a woman or not. “I am, too.”

 

Seungcheol really didn’t want to pry in his life since Wonwoo gave them the gist of what happened, but as Jeonghan suddenly started telling him his life story he couldn’t help but feel bad.

 

He stared at Jeonghan’s glistening eyes like the tragedy only happened yesterday. The way his bottom lip quivered slightly and the sharp intake of breath before he feels like giving in to his emotions and start crying in front of unknowing children.

 

Especially not in front of Jihoon.

 

“I’m so sorry.”

 

“Don’t be,” Jeonghan laughs with a dismissive hand. “It was three years ago.”

 

But he doesn’t look like he’s already used to this life.

 

Seungcheol focuses on Hansol making small noises and already drooling on his shoulder, yelping slightly and Jeonghan laughs at him.

 

“We totally forgot about him.”

 

“Hey uh, can you help me clean him up? I think he vomited a bit.”

 

“Oh sure! But how?”

 

He carefully places him on Jeonghan’s lap, the former securing him tightly with his rather muscular arms—not that Seungcheol was checking him out he just noticed when Hansol was situated on his lap—and shaking his legs to not bore the baby.

 

Seungcheol clears his throat and searches something for the baby bag, retrieving a small towel and a baby bottle full of water. Jeonghan stays still as he lets the other wipe Hansol’s mouth while giving him soothing rubs.

 

“All done. Now his shirt—Wait,”

 

“Why?”

 

“Wonwoo didn’t pack them extra clothes.”

 

“Is there a lot?”

 

“Not really. Rather, it’s me who has a lot of it on my shoulder.”

 

“Do you have extra clothes, then?”

 

He looks at the direction of his car.

 

“No. I don’t usually bring some in my car and I’m still wearing my suit.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter