Chapter 9

Read You like a Book

It was soon evening, as the girl waved goodbye to her schoolmates after a long and tiring day at school. She was too focused on the upcoming tests and all the extra lessons that she almost forgot her phone existed. She then quickly whipped it out and saw an unread message in her inbox. 

 

She decided to read it back at home since she doesn’t want to make a fool out of herself in public screaming like a wild hyena.

 

As if her legs read her intention, they brought the long-bean back into her apartment in light speed. As soon as her feet touched the floor of the girl’s room, she screamed out loud.

 

“Hey, you okay up there?” The mum shouted out of concern.

 

“I just stubbed my toe against one of the legs of the wooden table. I’ll be fine.” The girl shouted back.

 

“Be careful!!” The mum can only shake her head when her daughter’s being clumsy. 

 

The girl then read each and every word slowly, as if she was taught how to read on the first day. She couldn’t believe her luck. 

 

First the meet and greet session, then the author’s name, and now a message from her?? The girl simply couldn’t ask for more. Amongst the chaos, it took her a little while to notice that she’s nose-bleeding. 

 

Stunned, she went down to look for her mum.

 

“What now?” The middle-aged woman clearly was done with her daughter’s antics.

 

“I don’t know what to do with this.” She blankly pointed to her bleeding nose.

 

“... Hold up.” The woman then pinched the girl’s nose while pushing her head down. 

 

“Are you trying to kill me, mum? Do you hate me that much??” The girl gasped.

 

“Use your mouth to breathe. Did you forget how to swim?”

 

“That’s different!!” The girl whined.

 

However, she didn’t complain further when her nose-bleeding stops.

 

“Drink more water.” The mum said before she shooed away from the kitchen.

 

“Why do people like to shoo me away..” The girl thought to herself as she went back up to her room.

 

Her face then brightened up when she was reminded of her favorite author. 

 

“I still have to respond to her text!” The girl’s mood was instantly lifted as the thought flashed across her mind.