The Stranger - Part Two

Memories That Lives With Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhyuk was the new guy Sungmin had talked about the previous day. If he had known, he wouldn’t have slept with him. He didn’t know what to be more surprised about – him sleeping with his colleague or the man he slept with becoming his colleague. Either way, it was very awkward for Donghae. His face had turned red the moment he laid eyes on the man and as the day began, he was extremely conscious of the presence at his side.

 

He had been embarrassed so many times in his life because of his clumsiness and stupidity but sitting in his office and feeling the gaze of his new colleague, he felt a new degree of embarrassment, one that made him want to combust. His cheeks were already on fire anyway; even his body was on fire. It wasn’t summer but he was sweating like hell.

 

Eunhyuk hadn’t spoken about their night, just a simple greeting which Donghae returned in a daze. To his relief, no one asked him about the ‘again’ part of Eunhyuk seeing him. They had then settled to their seats and started working. Donghae couldn’t even look at Eunhyuk much less talk to him.

 

He concentrated on his work as he had never done before. His left eye twitched sometimes, his subconsciousness aware of the person to his side. His fingers tapped on the keyboard relentlessly. If anyone looked at him, they would think he was the most hard-working employee in the office, in the country, in this whole fudging planet.

 

He was never much of a talker but he was always good at listening. He could hear Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Sungmin and even Yesung chatting with Eunhyuk as if they were best friends. He felt like an intruder sitting between them.

 

I’ll let this day pass. Donghae thought. And talk to Eunhyuk alone. Only after that will I be able to concentrate better or enjoy more.

 

But Alas! Donghae didn’t get any chance to talk with Eunhyuk. The sun kept rising in the sky and the man was strangely surrounded by his colleagues. At one point or another, Eunhyuk was occupied by someone. Whenever someone approached Eunhyuk, Donghae got distracted.

 

Why was the newcomer receiving so much attention? Maybe it was because they wanted him to adjust quickly in the warm atmosphere but hey, no one helped him to adjust when he first joined the company. They were friendly, yes, but not that friendly.

 

He puffed his cheeks as even Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Yesung seemed on focus on Eunhyuk more.

 

The thoughts of an important conversation with Eunhyuk disappeared when he heard his friends laughing with Eunhyuk. He wasn’t a five year old and he shouldn’t feel like this, but he was getting envious. No one ever laughed like that with him. Even Kyuhyun, that aloof jerk who always praised his looks, seemed to get along with Eunhyuk quite well.

 

When it was the time for the lunch break, almost the entire office was at Eunhyuk’s desk to invite him over for lunch. He politely refused their offers, to Donghae’s dismay, but accepted Sungmin’s request. That’s how they ended up in the same café, being regular customers, but this time with Eunhyuk.

 

“Have you caught up with your work, rookie?” Kyuhyun smirked and cocked an eyebrow.

 

“You’re seriously asking me that?” Eunhyuk scoffed. “All the information is already inside my brain.”

 

“You were wasting your time the whole day chatting.”

 

“I reviewed everything before coming to the office.” Eunhyuk shrugged. “And you were busy chatting too. Are you sure you know everything?”

 

“I know what I need to know.” Kyuhyun shrugged and then his eyes strayed to Donghae who was calmly eating his lunch.

 

“Donghae,” Kyuhyun called his name and he looked at him. “Did you enjoy working with your new neighbor?”

 

Donghae’s eyes fleeted to Eunhyuk. The man was staring back at him with smiling eyes.

 

He nodded his head in reply.

 

“How? You didn’t even talk to him even once. He must have felt lonely.”

 

The whole office was there to talk to him. Donghae thought. He didn’t need me.

 

“I-I,” Donghae stuttered. Was it just him or were Kyuhyun’s eyes were scrutinizing him? “I thought he needed space.” He gave a lame reason.

 

“You talk as if you two are in a relationship.” The tallest of them smirked.

 

Blood rushed to Donghae’s face. Eunhyuk’s almost form, in his bed, rushed back to his head. He sputtered and reached for the glass of water. He couldn’t dare to look at Eunhyuk.

 

Sungmin laughed and hit Kyuhyun’s arm. “Knock it off,”

 

“I was only kidding.” Kyuhyun gave him an innocent look.

 

“I heard that Siwon is going to Singapore,” Ryeowook spoke. “That lucky bastard.”

 

“Why?”

 

“To sign a deal,” Eunhyuk answered. “There won’t be any CEO standing above your heads for the next week.”

 

“It doesn’t make a difference either way.”

 

Donghae’s eyes darted from one person to another, feeling a complete outsider in their conversation but glad that he wasn’t in the focus. It’s not like he hated attention,  he didn't want to think about the previous day.

 

 

 

 Like yesterday, they came across Sunny and Tiffany and both the girls started gushing on the new employee. What was so good about him? They had just met and they acted like he was their best friend or something, buttering him up and all.

 

Once he arrived home, he called Heechul. He was dying to tell Heechul how his one-night stand had become his colleague, not just colleague but someone who everybody loved. He was disappointed when the call didn’t connect. He wanted to tell someone what had happened but realized no one was close enough. He couldn’t say anything to Kyuhyun or Sungmin. He couldn’t possibly tell about this to his brother or mother. And Kai and Sehun were too young to hear about his shenanigans.

 

In the end, he sat in front of the television, hearing world news, talking about Presidents of countries making statements, people in sports winning trophies, some lucky people finding a genie, new movie and song releases and everything. His mind was in a complete blur though.

 

When he went to bed, he couldn’t help but wonder what Eunhyuk thought about the situation. Was he as surprised as him? He didn’t seem to be. Did he consider him a good lay? He hadn’t made any advances or gave any signal of the night they spent together as if he had already forgotten.

 

“Forget it, Donghae,” He murmured. “He has probably forgotten. You should too.”

 

** **

 

Donghae had thought that everyone was pampering Eunhyuk only on the first day, but no, it continued. Every time he entered the office, it was like birds flocking and chirping near his desk. For the whole day, someone passed near them, just to talk to Eunhyuk. And there wasn’t any work-related conversation either. Kyuhyun and Sungmin focused more on work though. Still, they had more time to talk to Eunhyuk than him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter