Offer

Inside The Dark

 

 

Sehun stares at the hospital door, staring through the window. He watches as his father lays unconscious, the machine beside him beeps to indicate that he’s alive. Beaten into a coma, savagely and almost fatally with someone’s bare hands. Mutlirable bones broken, bruises bloody. He swallows hard as he tries to feel an ounce of sympathy. No matter how hard he tries, he feels none. “Sehun.” He doesn't flinch from the sudden voice behind him.

 

“Kai, why?” He whispers. He glances at the demon’s reflection, which causes him to jump a little. He turns around quickly and looks at him in surprise. His eyes are all black; even the whites. “Oh my god, w-what-”

 

“I can’t…” Kai takes a deep breath, “I can’t change them back, Sehun,” He admits. “I don’t know why. I feel so...so angry, why am I so angry?” 

 

Sehun stops when he notices the dry blood stained on the demon’s hands. He looks around quickly. “Kai, you have to pull yourself together!” He hisses quietly. He grabs Kai’s arm and pulls him into a nearby bathroom; locking the door behind them. Luckily, it’s a single toilet, so they won’t worry about anyone coming in. He swallows hard when he notices Kai shaking. “Are you...are you okay?”

 

“I…” Kai doesn’t fight when Sehun pulls him over to the sink and forces him to run his hands underwater. The punk dispenses soap into his own hands, rubbing Kai’s roughly and quickly. But the demon just stares at himself; seemingly at his own, black eyes.

 

“Does...this happened often? Guessing from your reaction, no.”

 

“This hasn’t happened to me before,” Kai admits again. “I don’t know what’s wrong. I’ve seen this with other demons but never me.”

 

“What does it mean?” Sehun asks, running his own hands along Kai to wash off the blood. He knows it’s his father’s blood; it has to be. 

 

“Anger,” He explains. “When demons become...incredibly angry, hateful, and violent.”

 

“Is that what happened?” Sehun whispers. “Before you beat my father?”

 

“Yes,” Kai looks at Sehun and frowns. “I left the hospital to confront him. He had the audacity to yell at ME after I told him I brought you to the hospital. I told your parents that they aren’t FIT to be your guardians.”

 

“And what? You are?” Sehun jokes.

 

“Yes,” Kai says seriously. “I AM your guardian, in a different sense. Not quite by choice either…” He sighs, rubbing his eyes. “I lost my temper quickly with your father and that’s when I punished him.”

 

Sehun looks at him as well now, his brows furrowed. “P-punishment?”

 

“For what he did to you; it’s unacceptable. Sehun, he would be executed if he were in my home.”

 

“Executed?” The punk whispers. He looks down at their hands still touching and quickly pulls away, coughing. “Kai, I didn’t ASK you to beat my father!”

 

“But you wanted me to,” Kai points out. He turns to Sehun. “Never before have I ever felt so much hate and anger from ONE human, Sehun. You hold so much inside of you.” He pauses and looks to the door, staring at it for a moment. “It took every ounce of my self-control not to kill him.”

 

“But why?” Sehun frowns. “Why do you care?!”

 

“I don’t!” Kai snaps. “I don’t…”

 

“Really?” Sehun glares at him. “You don’t care? Is that why you BEAT those boys?! Or...or my father? Kai, he’s in a coma! Do you know what that is?! Do you have that where you come from?!”

 

“Of course we do!”

 

“Then…”

 

“Beating those boys were just a favor to you, Sehun, as I said before and that’s it.”

 

“No,” Sehun shakes his head. “If I came to you all beat when I first summoned you, you wouldn’t give a ! The same thing goes for my father!”

 

“I do not care for humans!” Kai practically roars. “And I don’t care for you!”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment before swallowing hard. He hugs his jacket close to his body, almost wanting to hide from the demon. “Then maybe I should...hurry up and find this spell,” He says softly. He watches as Kai’s eyes return to their natural gold but they don’t glow. “I…” His chest tightens and he tries to rub it away. He wants to slap himself when his own eyes begin to water; he feels like such a child. He tries to swallow down the lump in his throat but it just seems to tighten. “That’s fine,” He croaks. “What’s one more person that doesn’t care about me, r-right?” He turns away from the demon and gently pushes the door open, stepping out into the hall. Why did that hurt? He doesn’t give a if someone doesn’t like him. So why the hell did those words cut so damn deep? He walks by his father’s room, barely glancing in. Just one more person that doesn’t care.



 

Sehun becomes increasingly agitated the more he goes through his chest full of useless lore. He sits on his closet floor, the door wide open, trying to shuffle through everything he has. Nothing but dust and apparently, according to Kai a while ago, false demon facts. “Useless, useless, useless!” He groans, slamming the chest shut. He smacks his head on the wood as if it’d maybe magically give him the damn spell. He stands and steps back into his room. His eyes narrow at his mother, who now stands in his doorway. “Oh, it’s you,” He sighs. “Thanks for visiting me at the hospital.”

 

“Sehun…”

 

“No, it’s fine,” Sehun lies. “Wouldn’t want anything to piss off daddy-dearest, right?”

 

“Sehun, he’s IN the hospital! Someone beat him into a coma.”

 

“I know, I was there an hour ago,” He admits as he looks through his desk. He grabs his spellbook and shuffles through it. “So…” he sets it down when he finds nothing and turns to face his mother. “You visited him but not me?” She looks a bit guilty as she averts her gaze. “What’s wrong? Can’t stand seeing my face and the ing bruises?!”

 

“Sehun, watch your language-”

 

“No, you!” Sehun snaps. “Look at me!” He waits for her to look up. When she finally does, she grimaces. “THIS is what he does to me! And it’s not the first time either! Once, Dad broke my arm,” he shouts. “And thanks to this I have horrible nightmares, I'm anxious and I have this ty fear of closed spaced and the dark! The ing dark! I’m seventeen and I'm scared of that; how pathetic is that?!”

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

“Oh,” Sehun laughs dryly. “Oh, you’re sorry! Were you sorry last night, mom? When you heard your son screaming for help and crying?!” He stares at her before shaking his head and grabbing his coat. “Whatever. As soon as I turn 18, you don’t have to worry about me and if you’re lucky, dad’ll wake the up.”

 

“Was that a threat?!” She gasps, watching as he walks past her. 

 

He stops in the hall and shakes his head. “No, it’s hope.” He shrugs before making his way down the stairs and toward the door.

 

“Wait!” Sehun glances up as he pulls his coat on, watching as his mother follows. “Where are you going?!”

 

“Out, do you care?”

 

“Of course I care, Sehun!”

 

“ing bull!” He laughs. “You don’t give a about me, otherwise you wouldn’t have left me in that ing closet!” He shouts at her before ripping the door open and slamming it behind him. He doesn’t see if she tries to follow him, walking at a fast pace as he makes his way away from his home. Home. He’s not sure he can call it that. Where the only place he feels safe is in his bedroom and the bathroom. The fear that every time he leaves his room, his father will pounce him. 

 

Sehun stops when black smoke suddenly forms in front of him. He rolls his eyes and sighs, crossing his arms as he waits for Kai to form. But it’s not Kai or Chanyeol that forms. Instead, it’s someone familiar. With short, neat silver hair, his eyes are red with a slight glow. He’s dressed from head to toe in a completely black suit. The man who had given him that spell for Kai. “What’s with you demons and suits?” He remarks, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice. 

 

The man slowly smiles. “We like to look good,” he responds in Chinese. 

 

“What’s wrong, don’t speak Korean?”

 

“I do,” He chuckles. “I’m just more comfortable like this. Care to walk with me for a moment?”

 

“Care to give me your name first?”

 

The man takes a deep breath and nods. “Alright. I’m Kris,” He smiles. “But you knew that, didn’t you?”

 

Sehun stares at him, trying to figure him out; what he wants. “Please, If I wanted to hurt you, you’d be dead already or back in the hospital.” He motions. “Come on, I just want to talk.” 

 

The punk keeps his eyes on Kris carefully as he slowly makes his way over to the man. “How did you know I was in the hospital?” He asks, switching to Chinese as well now. Tao taught him quite a bit in exchange for help with his Korean.

 

“I’ve been watching you for a bit,” He admits. “Since you summoned Kai.”

 

“Right, not creepy at all,” He mutters as they walk; in no particular direction. “What’s your beef with Kai?”

 

“I won’t sugar coat anything for you,” Kris says. “My father was...well, the ruler.”

 

“Of…? What? All demons?”

 

“Basically,” He chuckles. “My ‘beef’ with Kai is what he did. He murdered my father.”

 

“I thought that’s normal for demons,” Sehun asks in confusion.

 

“Of course he would say that!” Kris scoffs, looking a bit irritated. “He’s trying to justify slaughtering my father as he slept soundly in his bed.” He stops when they reach a park, a different one from last time. “The title of the ruler is going to be given to me and I fear Kai may be after me.”

 

Sehun stuffs his hands in his pockets. “So...that’s why you gave me that spell.”

 

“Yes,” Kris admits. “And your timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Has Kai told you what he was doing before you summoned him?” When the punk shakes his head, the demon laughs. “Of course he wouldn’t. He was torturing my mother.”

 

Sehun widens his eyes. “What?!”

 

“You heard me correct,” Kris sighs. “He was torturing my mother to find my whereabouts.”

 

The punk stares at the ground for a moment, swallowing hard. “So, why bring him here?”

 

“That’s where I need your help, Sehun,” Kris explains. “Before Kai can find me and kill me for my future position, I need to banish him.”

 

His heart aches at that for some reason when he thinks about that. “Permanently?”

 

“Yes. He’d be banished back to our world, where he’ll be punished for his crimes.”

 

“W-what would happen to him?”

 

‘Nothing huge,” Kris smiles, seeming to note his worry. “He wouldn’t get hurt; he’d just be...I suppose imprisoned.” The demon stops and turns to look at Sehun. He grabs the punk’s shoulder and looks him in the eye. “I need your help with this. You have to understand, he doesn’t care for you.”

 

“Then why did he do that to my father?”

 

“Because you’re trying to find a way to send him back,” Kris offers. “I believe he’s trying to get on your good side by doing all this, perhaps gaining your trust.”

 

Sehun crosses his arms tightly. He hates that this man is making so much sense. “Why does he want to go back so bad?”

 

“No one’s on the seat as ruler right now. Why else would he be wanting to find me? Kill me and then the throne is his.”

 

The punk slowly sits on a bench, staring at the play area. At the swings swaying gently in the window, the empty equipment creaking. “Can I ask you about demons?”

 

Kris smiles, seemingly pleased as he takes a seat beside the human. “I’d be happy if you did.”

 

“Your eyes,” He starts off. “They often reflect your emotions, right?”

 

“Correct,” The demon nods. “The more anger we get, the more our eyes glow until we reach a full rage; then they’ll go completely black,” He explains. “It’s hard to tell with us demons, though. Because our eyes glow even when we’re happy, excited.”

 

“What about...sad?”

 

“Our eyes won’t glow at all.”

 

Sehun furrows his brows as he thinks back on Kai at the hospital; how the glowing in his eyes had completely vanished. But then he thinks about what the demon had said. He doesn’t care about humans. And he doesn’t care for Sehun. He doesn’t care for Sehun, why would he? He just wants to go home; that’s the only reason he’s being nice to him. He takes a deep breath and nods. “Okay...I’ll help you.”

---------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter! It's much needed though