Meeting Mom

Atypical Love

Ayana woke up in the morning with a nervous thought. She knew later that afternoon she was going to meet Chanyeol’s family. And she was worried what they were going to think of her. She thought of every negative thing about herself. She was worried they wouldn’t approve of her because she was a foreigner, who wasn’t even Korean and only knew little Korean. Chanyeol always reassured her that it didn’t matter but it didn’t keep Ayana from thinking about it.

Chanyeol went over to Ayana’s place with lunch. “I’m so nervous. I can’t eat, Chanyeol.”

”Don’t worry,” Chanyeol said as he hugged her tightly and kissed her on her forehead. “Look at me.” She looked up. “You are perfect for me and that is all that matters” And he kissed her. Ayana looked at him and said, “That isn’t all. Family is important. And I think it would be hard if they don’t approve of me.”

Chanyeol hugged her tightly. ”We should go. I want you to know you are worrying about nothing.”

They finally arrived at Chanyeol’s parents place. Chanyeol held Ayana’s hand and kissed it. “Stop worrying.” 

Before they arrived at the door, there was this pretty girl with a big smile on her face in the hallway ahead of them. Looking at her, you knew it was his older sister, Yoora. She had the same eyes and smile like Chanyeol. 

Yoora hugged Chanyeol then she turned to Ayana and hugged her too. “I’m Yoora, Chanyeol’s sister. I am so happy to finally meet you. He has told me me a lot about you. I think we are going to get along well. I have so many stories to tell you about Chanyeol. Don’t be nervous. You’re the first girl Chanyeol has ever brought home. Mom is happy he is finally bringing someone home.”

Yoora took Ayana’s hand and brought her in the house. “Mom, Ayana is here.”

A woman who looks young for her age comes into the room. At first she looked serious, but then when she saw Ayana, her face lit up. “Ayana, nice to meet you.” And then goes and hugs Ayana.

The nervous feeling Ayana had felt prior to then just suddenly disappeared. 

For the rest of the afternoon, Ayana was learning more and more about Chanyeol from his mom and sister.

For dinner, they decided to have dinner at home. So, Chanyeol’s mom went to the kitchen to start cooking. Ayana followed her and asked if she could help. Chanyeol’s mom told her to go back and relax. But Ayana insisted. “Chanyeol says you are a great cook and I would love to learn how to cook Korean meals.” Chanyeol’s mom smiled and said, “Okay, I would love to teach you.”

Chanyeol and Yoora heard the talking and laughing in the kitchen and decided to go see what is happening. Looking at Ayana cutting up the vegetables, Chanyeol says with a smile, “You make us look bad for not helping.”

”You should learn from her, Chanyeol,” said the mom.

”I am, Umma,” Chanyeol replied then kisses his mom. 

“Just because you came to kiss me does not get you out of this. Go help Ayana.”

Chanyeol gives Ayana a quick kiss on the head and whispers, “I think she likes you.”

Feeling good about it, Ayana felt even more comfortable and continued taking notes on the family recipes..