Realization

Atypical Love

Just as Ayana tried to finish her sentence, that friend Chanyeol was talking to across the table earlier interrupted her.

”Chanyeol, this is where you are!” She then stumbled slightly towards him and Chanyeol had to let go of Ayana’s hands to catch the friend from falling. “Thanks Chanyeol,” she says as she grabs his arm. “You always seem to save me.”

Turns out this friend, Sun-Hi, is someone he had known for a few years. She always liked him. But he never felt the same. He always saw her as just a friend. He treated her like a friend. He never gave her any reason to think otherwise. Sun-Hi knew she was the closest “girl” friend he had. At the beginning, it came out in the press that they were dating. But Chanyeol and the Company cleared up the misunderstand of their relationship by stating they were good friends and nothing more. Knowing she was close with Chanyeol, the friendship was enough for her. However, she thought Ayana might change that.

Sun-Hi watched Chanyeol follow Ayana out to the balcony. She followed right after. Standing in the doorway, she saw Chanyeol taking Ayana’s hands and could see his intense look. Sun-hi, knew he never looked at her that way. She got closer to them and over heard him confessing to Ayana. Sun-hi knew she couldn’t do anything except to interrupt them.

A little irritated at Sun-Hi for interrupting, Chanyeol was still a gentleman and introduced the two to each other. He introduced Sun-Hi as an old friend, but he hesitated with Ayana. Ayana helped him by saying she is a friend from the company. Sun-Hi knew she was more to Chanyeol. Heartbroken, Sun-Hi tried her look happy.

A bit awkward with the three of them, Ayana excused herself and said she would see them back inside.

Seeing Sun-Hi, Chanyeol had to set things straight with her. He valued their friendship. But it was just a close friendship and nothing me. He hoped the friendship wouldn’t change but he had to tell her how he felt about Ayana.

”Do you like her?”, Sun-Hi blurted out.

”I do.”, Chanyeol said nervously. He didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

”Does she like you back?”

”I think she does. I was trying to confirm that until you interrupted us.”, he said in a playful but somewhat serious tone.

The two talked for a little while. As much as Sun-Hi didn’t want to hear about it, she knew Chanyeol never  cared for her other than just as friend. She just kept the hope that he would change his mind. With the way he was talking about Ayana, that hope diminished.

Inside, Ayana went back to the table and sat down next to Suho. “Where is Chanyeol? I though he . . .”

”He’s outside with Sun-Hi.” 

“Oh”, said Suho. He wasn’t sure what to think. He knew Chanyeol was going to confess. But didn’t know if he was able to. Noticing Suho’s look of hesitation, Ayana said, “He told me how he feels.”

”And?” Suho said eager to find our what Ayana response to it.

”I pretty much told him I felt the same but...”

”Oh oh, but is not a good thing especially in this situation.”

Ayana explained her concerns to Suho. He knew where she was coming from. He understood her concerns and believe they were valid. He wasn’t sure if Chanyeol would see it the same way.

Back inside, Chanyeol wanted to go somewhere quiet with Ayana to finish their conversation. But the rest of the reception festivities were going on, it didn’t seem right. So he waited patiently until there was a moment.

Dancing started back up. A slow song came up so Chanyeol grabbed Ayana’s hand and lead her to the dance floor. He wanted to hold her close to him. Feeling her heart fluttering as they were dancing, she was was trying hard not to look at him. “Look at me,” he whispered into her ear. She slowly looked up into his eyes. His eyes were so endearing. They didn’t say a word. Looking into each other eyes they didn’t have to speak a word. He pulled her in closer and just danced. It was a realization she certainly had feelings for him. But that dreaded “but...” still was lingering in her mind.

The reception ended late. Suho had suggested Chen ride home with Sehun and him. Ayana said it was a long night and didn’t want Chanyeol driving home alone after dropping her off. She also didn’t want to be alone with him that night.

At her place, Chanyeol was going to park the car and walk her to her door. But she told him he didn’t have to and to drop her near the front door of the building. As she has always done with everyone who drops her off at home, she reminded him to text her he made it home safely.

Thirty minutes later, she receives the text, “Home now ❤️“ She smiled to herself, but shook her head, then replied “Good night, sleep now.”