A New Pattern

The Circle of Eden

The two made their way to the Watchers' territory, Hyejoo picked up her pace to catch up to Haseul. 

"Let's remind ourselves of the pattern." Haseul looked ahead and nodded.

Hyejoo started listing.

"Heejin's strongest feeling was love and she wanted to give life therefore receiving the power of life."

"Hyunjin's feeling was desperation and wanted to transform into something that can fight the bear giving her the power of shape shifting."

"Your feeling was determination and wanted to grant the farmer's wish of rain obviously gaining the power to summon rain." Haseul nodded in affirmation.

"Yeojin's feeling was reliability, or responsibility in another perspective, and she wanted to take care of all the children of the forest. But...what's her power? I never saw it." Hyejoo's eyebrows crinkled.

"Ah that. Her power is baby animals aren't cautious around her and the parents aren't hostile allowing her to help those in need. This isn't something she activates herself. It's an ongoing power, as in it's always at work you just don't see it." She explained. 

Hyejoo thought some more. "Oh! So you mean it's more of an aura?" "That's correct, so when she approaches...let's say...a mother bear and her cub...most mothers would be extremely hostile. However, her aura immediately calms the mother. Hyunjin has something similar except it doesn't always work."

"That makes sense remembering back on the time I first met her." She reminisced.

"So Yeojin is reliability and calming aura." She continued the list.

"Vivi's feeling was protecting and nurturing and her power is basically growing and caring for plants right?" "Yup that's right." She confirmed.

"Hmmm...do you think it might be different for the Watchers?" "What do you mean?" She raised an eyebrow. "I mean they're not part of the Protectors and Spirits. They're also not part of the Guardians, so do you think the way they got their transformation and power would be different?" She questioned.

"You know that's not a bad theory, we can't rule that out." She nodded agreeing. "Yves was right." "About what?" "You're pretty smart for your age." Haseul smiled and praised the young wolf.

"Oh please don't compliment me. I tend to do something stupid after someone says something like tha-" Hyejoo accidentally steps on her own foot and takes a tumble. After she stops rolling she lays there for a moment soaking in the embarrassment. See? She huffs and gets back on her feet, shaking off the dust she collected in her fur.

Haseul snorts at the sight. "Do you have your own curse or something?" She teased. "Anyways." Hyejoo grumbled.

"Hahaha..." Her laughter subsided. "Anyways if that's the case that means the way you get your transformation would be different too."

Hyejoo sighed. "If that's the case that means we went around for nothing when we could've just asked Yves and the rest of the Guardians."

"Well then let's look at this as a little history lesson on the rest of the goddesses." She smiled at Hyejoo. 

"I guess. I always wondered about everyone's past anyway." "That's the spirit!" Haseul clenched her fist in encouragement. Hyejoo rolled her eyes ignoring the poor joke.

"We're almost there, but I'm curious, what do the others smell like to you?" Hyejoo sniffed the air and hummed. "Mmm...Kimlip smells like air from the mountains very crisp and clean with a hint of pine needle." 

"Jinsoul smells like-" "Lemme guess, the ocean?" Haseul interrupted. "Haha you're right! To be specific when the water meets the sand." "You mean wet sand?" She snorted. "Yup wet sand." She nodded, confirming.

"What about Choerry? Surely it's not a cherry tree, ironically she hates cherries." "No she actually smells like mangos." "Mangos? That's random." "Not really, a fruit bat's diet contains mangos sometimes." "How do you know this?" Haseul looked at the young wolf, bewildered. "Hyunjin likes to tell me fun facts about everyone's animal from time to time." Hyejoo shrugged.

"Oh we're here!" Hyejoo looked away from Haseul and at the scenery. She was greeted with a large cliff side that towered over the two of them, to the left was a heavily forested area with an assortment of fruit trees and bushes, to the right was a bright blue ocean with light pink tinted sand, due to the coral reef nearby. There was also a sea cave at the foot of the cliff.

Suddenly a shadow circled them, Haseul and Hyejoo looked up into the sky trying to see what blocked out the sun. Haseul shaded her eyes with her hand while Hyejoo squinted.

The figure grew closer then the two identified the creature as an owl. The owl dove down and before it landed it transformed. Kimlip stood in front of them with her arms crossed. "Hey, what brings you two here?" She smiled.

"How'd you know we were coming?" "I saw you guys like a mile away." She pointed at her eyes then back at them and smirked. "Anyways you didn't answer my question, what are you guys doing here? And why are you carrying a plant?" She eyed the pot in Haseul's arms. "It's a long story, can you get Choerry and Jinsoul? We need them here too."

"Suuure." Kimlip lazily said. She transformed into an owl as she was before. With several powerful flaps of her wings she took off into the air. "Hey Hyejoo." The wolf looked up and perked her ears, indicating that she was listening. "Watch this." Kimlip sped in the direction of the fruit forest, a second later she sped off to the ocean then back to the two in the field.

The owl slowed her pace and changed back into her human form. "Phew, doing that is always fun." She stretched her arms upwards. Hyejoo was wide eyed and was open in amazement. Kimlip chuckled and closed for her. "You're going to catch flies like that." She patted Hyejoo's cheeks.

"That. Was. So. Cool. I knew you had super speed, but I didn't imagine that it was that fast!" The wolf wagged her tail in excitement. Haseul rolled her eyes. "You just love showing off your super speed now don't you?" She scoffed.

Kimlip flipped her hair and smirked again. "Of course! Why have a power if you're not going to use it?" Haseul let out a half laugh half sigh. "'Cus no one wants me to use it..." "Oh...right...I mean...light rain is nice, very calming and relaxing." She attempted to save herself. Haseul raised an eyebrow at her. Kimlip looked away, avoiding her gaze.

"Ahem. Moving on, why are you carrying around a plant?" Right as she asked the question a pair of wings could be heard flapping towards them. A fruit bat clumsily flying through the air in a erratic fashion. Once she reached the three girls she transformed. "Sorry. I just woke up, still not fully awake..." Choerry rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn.

"Hi Choerry!" Hyejoo wagged her tail once she saw the purple haired girl. "Hyejoo!" She knelt down and wrapped her arms around Hyejoo's neck. Hyejoo nuzzled the girl then pulled away. "Did you come to hang out again?" She smiled. "Pfft I wish. I'm trying to figure out this goddess stuff, I want to know if there's a way to transform rather than waiting for it to happen." Choerry nodded, understanding.

Just then Jinsoul popped out of nowhere and placed her hand on Kimlip's shoulder, to which Kimlip rested her hand on top of Jinsoul's. "Hi Haseul, Hyejoo." She sweetly smiled and nodded greeting the two of them.

Hyejoo blinked several times in disbelief then gently placed a paw on Jinsoul's leg, wondering if what she saw in front of her was an illusion. Her hand slid off of Kimlip's shoulder. She grinned at the curious wolf and bent down to hold Hyejoo's face in her hands. "Yes I'm the real deal~" Her hands left Hyejoo then she straightened herself upwards again.

"How'd you get here after me when you can teleport?" Choerry questioned. Jinsoul shrugged her shoulders. "I was feeling a bit sluggish today." She smiled. "Too lazy to teleport?" Kimlip looked at her not believing her excuse.

Jinsoul sighed. "Fine I was feeding my fish before I left. Anyways why did you call us here? And..." She looked at the plant Haseul was holding. "Why are you carrying a plant?" Haeul rolled her eyes. "Lover girl here-" Hyejoo spoke up. "We're just delivering the plant to Gowon for Vivi!" She shot Haseul a glare, warning her to not say anything. 

"Anyways we've been going around asking everyone what they felt before their goddess transformation. Hyejoo wants to see if she can detect any sort of pattern so she can speed up the process."

"Ahh ok I'm guessing you want Kimlip to go first, assuming you're going in order and have already talked to the Protectors and Spirits." Hyejoo nodded. 

"Alright...mmm..." She closed her eyes trying to recall the moment. "I was flying around and I saw a shadowy figure flying towards the forest and decided to follow it. It reeked of evil." She scrunched up the bridge of her nose. "I saw it heading straight towards Yeojin and I knew I had to stop it from hurting her. I flapped my wings faster trying to catch up, but it was way too fast." 

"I closed my eyes hoping a miracle would happen and when I opened my eyes I zoomed past it and almost crashed into Yeojin." She laughed slightly, but quickly turned serious again. "I told her to transform and hide somewhere in the tall grass, thankfully she didn't ask questions and did as I said. I turned back around to look at the creature and saw it still flying on its original path."

"I didn't know what to do so I flew straight at it hoping I could scare it off, instead I sliced right threw the figure with my wing and it disappeared without a trace." She sighed. "I don't know what I would've done if it caught Yeojin." She furrowed her brow.

"Wait. You didn't transform?" Hyejoo asked confused. "No, I transformed later shortly after I landed." "Did you feel any sort of strong emotion before you did?" Kimlip thought back at the time. "Mmm...not really? Does wanting to save Yeojin count?" Hyejoo's eyebrows knitted together, she then looked at Haseul.

"Earlier you told me that you gain your power after you transform, but Kimlip gained her power before she changed." Haseul looked equally confused. "I guess you were right. Looks like it changes depending on what group you're in." Hyejoo threw her head back in frustration and groaned. "For once I was hoping I wasn't right." "Well since we're here might as well confirm it with Jinsoul and Choerry."

Hyejoo sighed and then suddenly her ears perked. "Hey, what about that shadow thing in your story?" "We'll tell you after you hear Jinsoul and Choerry's past, they show up in there too."

Hyejoo straightened her posture, eager to know what that thing was. 

Kimlip looked at Jinsoul, signaling that it was her turn. "Right. For me I was swimming around the stream that's near Vivi's garden, she would say hello whenever she stopped by with her watering can. One day she didn't come by, it was very odd since she always watered her plants everyday." Her face dropped and her eyes narrowed.

"Suddenly something didn't sit right with me. I swam up and down the stream trying to spot her. I felt her presence somewhere, but I couldn't see her." She closed her eyes and focused. "I honed in on her energy as best as I could. My mind ran through the forest and I saw her fighting against the shadow. When I opened my eyes I was in my goddess form and I struck the figure from behind which dissipated into the air."

"I ran over to Vivi to make sure she was ok. She was a little shaken up, but she managed to fend the monster off. Thank goodness I managed to find her in time though." She let out a breath she unintentionally held.

Haseul tried to hide her displeasure of the fact that she wasn't there to protect Vivi. To which Hyejoo noticed and nudged Haseul slightly, worried. Haseul gave her a slight nod and mouthed 'I'm fine' to her.

Now it's Choerry's turn. Choerry smiled so brightly you couldn't tell if she was about to tell a happy story or serious story. "Well one of those shadow things weren't in my story, but it was something similar. She put a finger on her chin. It was a human with the same dark aura as those creeps." She shuddered.

"I hanging around on a tree in the evening near Hyunjin's shrine 'cus she said she'll cut some mangos for me. Then I saw this guy...he had an axe and he almost looked possessed, if he wasn't already, he scanned the area looking for something. Or someone. I flew into Hyunjin's shrine through the window to warn her about the suspicious trespasser."

"While I was warning her the man started chopping down the door, talk about knocking... She then transformed into a cat and ran between his legs, out the door. She told me to meet her outside, so I flew back out through the window after her. As we were fleeing we had to come up with a plan on how to lure him away from the other girls."

"I told her I sort of have a plan, but I didn't know if it'll work. Then she told me it doesn't matter at least we have some sort of plan than letting that thing roam around in the forest. I told Hyunjin to follow me and make sure whatever that guy is, is following too."

"I flew into this clearing with this large circular mirror on the ground, you could see the reflection of the moon in it. Hyunjin burst through the thick trees, out of breath asking me what to do next. Then she saw the mirror and asked me what it was. I had no idea either I just found it while flying around one day, but something told me it'll come in handy so I kept it in the back of my mind."

"I landed on the mirror and the rim started to glow, I warned Hyunjin to not get too close since we didn't know what it'll do. I told her to transform back into her goddess form and stand at the opposite side of the mirror. Once she did, I took off again waiting for the man to come through the trees."

"When the monster saw Hyunjin standing there he grew feral. He charged at her axe in hand ready to strike. Once he got close enough to the mirror, I swooped down behind him, transformed, and pushed him in."

"Rather than falling with a thud, he was swallowed by the reflection of the moon and the glowing around the rim stopped. It was such an odd experience and we had such a hard time figuring out my power afterwards too."

"So...what exactly is your power?..." Hyejoo asked confused. Choerry scratched her head. "Well those mirror things I was talking about before, those are portals. I activate them by touching it, then whoever falls in gets sent to another place. I also have knowledge of the location of every portal."

Hyejoo tilted her head. "Another place? What does that mean?" Hyejoo's voice lowered. "Do they...die?..." Choerry's eyes widened and she waved her hands frantically. "No no no! They don't die! Or...at least I don't think so... Anyways! They get sent to a new world." "A new world?" Hyejoo's head was starting to hurt. "It's...best not to think about it too much..." She said noticing the wolf's grimace.

"How do you know they weren't send to another part of this world?" Hyejoo continued asking questions. "I can't sense them anymore." Jinsoul answered. "When Choerry told me what happened, I felt the dark aura that lingered around her a bit. I tried tracing it back to the source, but I can't feel them at all. Like they never existed." 

Hyejoo shuddered. "Spooky. What are those things anyway?" "We call them Shadow Spirits." This time it was Kimlip that answered. "We honestly don't know what they want exactly, but what we do know is that they want to harm us." She crossed her arms. "As Choerry said earlier those possessed become feral and hostile. They also have the ability to possess humans. Once they do, we call them Shadow Hunters."

"At first they weren't very common, but as more goddesses were added their appearances increased as well. That's why it's our job as Watchers to make sure none of these monsters harm any of our girls." Jinsoul said firmly.

"Your job...your job..." Hyejoo mumbled the words over and over and then something clicked. "Your job! That's it!" She jumped up excitedly.

"What's it?" Haseul looked at the young wolf. "What did you come up with?" 

"Before I tell you, I need to confirm something." She looked at Haseul. "Before the Watchers were created, were there any sightings of these things?" Haseul thought back on it. "No, come to think of it. I haven't seen them at all and even if the other girls have they would've told us."

"That's what I thought. Once the Watchers were created these fiends must have picked up on the strong amount of divine energy in this area, thus drawing them here." She looked at the Watchers. "That's why all of you have a power like no other, to protect the rest of us from these monsters! The way you got your power before your goddess transformation was because all of you had a sense of duty to fulfill!" Hyejoo puffed up confidently at her theory.

"Did you really just figure it all out that fast?" The girls were bewildered. "I shouldn't be surprised 'cus I witnessed all this already, but it's hard to not be amazed at how fast you process all this information." "I mean it's just speculation, but it's pretty solid." "Even we didn't think that far. We just thought it was the order of our creation." "Well that could be a factor too."

"Anyways thank you so much for your help, I learned a lot today." Choerry smilled. "We did too thanks to you! Next time we'll hang out for real!" Hyejoo nodded happily.

"If we're done here then I think it's about time for us to go. After all we have a job to do." She looked at Hyejoo and winked.

Jinsoul looked at Kimlip. "I'll be leaving first~ Be careful on your patrol." She lightly touched Kimlip's shoulder before she disappeared. 

Kimlip transformed into her spirit animal. "You're always welcome to stop by anytime!" And then she took off in a flash.

"Ah! Heeey...That's not fair." Choerry pouted at the fact that she was left behind. She looked at Hyejoo. "I'll see you next time!" She bent down to give the wolf a hug before transforming and fluttering away.

"Now last but not least are the Guardians." Hyejoo sighed. "It's getting late." She watched the sun slowly set. "I can carry the plant back home. It's on the way and I don't want you to stay out too late, especially after hearing about those Shadow Spirits and Hunters." 

Haseul nodded understanding. "What about you? Will you be fine on your own?" She asked concerned. "I think I'll be fine since I haven't developed my powers yet."

"I see. How will you carry the pot?" "If you dig a little bit of the soil out, I'll have room to bite the rim of the pot." Haseul did as she was told and held it in front of Hyejoo.

Hyejoo carefully clamped down on the edge and used her paw to hold it a bit so it wouldn't slip. "-ank yooh." Haseul giggled. "You're welcome. Stop by tomorrow to tell me the details ok?" The wolf let out a grunt in agreement and watched Haseul transform and fly away.

The wolf slowly made her way to Guardian territory. *I should probably stop by Gowon's shrine first to give her this* She thought as she put the pot down since it started to slip from her jaws. "Oof..." Before she picked it back up, someone stood in front of her.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that i'm not updating daily anymore, I kinda don't know what I'm doing xD

I hope this extra long chapter makes up for some of it!