A Little Bonding Time

The Circle of Eden

Yves and Hyejoo quietly walked side by side, the sounds of the night surrounding them. Crickets chirped and fireflies flickered, everything was at peace. 

The goddess stopped walking, noticing the presense missing from her side the wolf did the same. 

"Hyejoo." Yves broke the silence. "Am I a bad mentor?" She turned to face the wolf, her eyes flashed with pain. "Huh? No of course not, what makes you think that?" Hyejoo worried. "I-" She sighed. "I feel like all we ever do is fight. I didn't have this problem when I trained Chuu and Gowon."

The wolf hanged her head in shame. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to feel like this." She paused. "The truth is that I just wanted to make you proud of me." She looked at the sky, her eyes shined in the moonlight. "I would work so hard during training, only to come back home to you scolding me. It was so frustrating." Her voice faltered a bit at the end.

"It was even more frustrating since I couldn't even talk at the time. I even snuck out at night to train on my own. I just really look up to you and didn't want to be a burden, so please don't think you're a bad leader." She gently headbutted Yves' leg. 

Yves crouched down and held Hyejoo's face in her hands. "You can never be a burden, and I'm sorry for scolding you so much. I know you're working hard, but that's why I worried about you so much. I didn't want you to push yourself." She furrowed her brow. "Look at this." Yves pulled up her dress up to her thigh revealing a nasty scar. 

Hyejoo's eyes widened. "What happened?" She chuckled. "Ironically I fell in the same hole you did, and I was too stubborn to tell anyone about it and it got worse. By the time I got Vivi to heal it, it was too late." She let her gown fall back into place. 

"So that's why you caused such a fuss when I hurt my leg." Yves raised an eyebrow. "caused a fuss? If you just let me clean it then we wouldn't have argued. Then again you wouldn't have talked, so I think I deserve a bit of praise." She smiled.

"Hah! Yeah yeah, thanks to your whining I get to talk." Hyejoo playfully rolled her eyes. 

Yves roughly ruffled the wolf's fur. "This cheeky little girl!" Hyejoo whined. "You're ruining my haaaiiiir!" Yves scoffed. "Your hair sticks up everywhere anyways what's the difference?" She laughed. Hyejoo let out a groan and then shook her body to set her fur back in the right place.

"Haha alright, enough playing around. Let's go get a long rest." She stood up and waited for Hyejoo to start walking.

They get back to the shrine and the first thing Hyejoo does is hop onto Yves' bed, the bed creaking under her weight. "You know Hyejoo you're getting kinda big, I don't know if we'll fit on here." "Are you calling me fat?" Hyejoo feigned offense. "You know that's not what I mean. Don't you want your own bed?"

Hyejoo thought about it. "Mmm...no not really." "Why not? Wouldn't it be more comfortable?" She pressed. "It's 'cus...." Hyejoo trailed off. "'Cus what?" She pressed on. "It's 'cus...Ilikesleepingnexttoyou..." She mumbled the last part. "Huh? What did you say?" She craned her neck to hear better. 

"I said, I like sleeping next to you." She repeated slightly clearer than before, but her voice was still quite soft. 

This time Yves heard her, but pretended like she didn't.

"Wait say that again." Hyejoo narrowed her eyes at Yves suspiciously. "I. Like. Sleeping. Next. To. You." She spaced out each word clearly. "I'm sorry what?" She cupped her hands around her ear. Now she was just trying to get her to say it again. Hyejoo huffed, annoyed. "If you didn't hear me that's too bad." She laid down with a thud, her back facing Yves.

"Haha sorry Hyejoo-ah, you're just so easy to tease." Yves laid down next to her. Hyejoo huffed once more.

A minute of silence passed. "I don't remember much about my mom, but you remind me of her..." Hyejoo whispered. Yves sat up, her heart wrenched hearing the young wolf. "You have the same warmth as her." Yves patted her back. "Do you miss her?..." Her voice was low and careful.

"Is it bad to say no? I mean I can't remember anything about her except her warmth. Also I have you and all the others, so I'm not that lonely." Yves ran her fingers through Hyejoo's fur. The feeling was relaxing and before she knew it, she fell asleep.

Yves bent down to kiss Hyejoo on the cheek. "Sweet dreams Hyejoo."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yves woke up with a paw pressed against her face. "I knew I should've made the bed bigger." She sighed, gently removing the limb from her cheek. 

She sat up and chuckled at the sight. Hyejoo was splayed out across the bed in an awkward position.

Hyejoo stirred awake. "Sorry did I wake you?" The wolf squinted angrily at the light coming through the window. "No, it's too bright..." She shifted her position to avoid the rays. 

Yves laid back down. "It's still early, let's go back to sleep." "You don't have to tell me twice." Hyejoo closed her eyes. "Oh so now you listen to me." Yves teased. Hyejoo opened one eye. "Oh no not this again. Just go back to sleep already." She closed her eye and scooted closer to Yves. 

"Try not to shove your stinky paw in my face again." Yves muttered. "Sorry, but I can't guarantee that. They have a mind of their own." She returned her banter and flailed her limbs around.

"Ah stop that!" She lightly smacked one of her paws. Hyejoo chuckled.

"Good morning~" Hyejoo purred.

Yves smiled. "Good morning to you too."

The light dimmed slightly as the pair peacefully fell back asleep.