Questions

The Circle of Eden

After Hyejoo woke up this morning she decided to take a stroll outside. Her fur brushed past the dew drops on the tall grass. *What do I do now?* She thought to herself. *I've already finished my spirit animal training so...next would be channeling my goddess form, but...how do I do that?* She stopped in her tracks and pondered for a minute. "Ah! Maybe I can ask Haseul!" She said aloud.

She turned in several directions trying to figure it out which way was Haseul's shrine. "Wait...I don't know where it is. Shoot." She muttered. "Ugh I'm too lazy to head back to ask Yves." She furrowed her brow. "Mmmmmmaybe I can track her by scent? What did she smell like again?...Like...light rain on a chilly morning!" Hyejoo lifted her head and took a deep breath. She focused hard to hone in on the scent.

The moment she picked up the smell she bounded in the direction it came from. She nimbly weaved through the trees till she saw a shrine. "Ah that must be it!" She slowed her pace into a trot. She circled the area with her nose low to the ground. "Yup this is it, it smells exactly like her." She went up to the door and scratched at it gently. "Hello?..." She cautiously greeted, just in case Haseul was still sleeping.

Shuffling could be heard and the door swung open. "Hello?" Haseul looked around then looked down at the young wolf. "Oh! Hyejoo! Good morning~" Hyejoo wagged her tail. "Good morning~" She returned her greeting.

"Did you need something?" She tilted her head. "Uhm yeah I was wondering if I could ask you about channeling my goddess form. I have no idea where to start." 

Haseul put a finger on her chin. "Hmm...come in first and we'll talk about it." She held the door open just enough for the young wolf to pass through. Hyejoo walked into the middle of the room and sat down. Haseul pulled a chair that was close by and sat down.

"I'll be honest we don't know how it works either." "Oh..." Hyejoo's ears flattened and her tail went limp. "However there might be a pattern involved." Hyejoo brightened at the clue. Haseul smiled at her enthusiasm.

"But let's start with what we do know." Hyejoo nodded. "When you gain your human form you also gain your power. For example, when I gained my form I was able to control rain. Or when Yves transformed she had the power to control wind." Hyejoo thought hard. "So it might not only be about the transformation, but the power too?"

Haseul snapped her fingers. "Right, you catch on fast. Also after your first transformation, you are unable to turn back into your spirit animal. But that's a topic for another time. Right now I think we're going to need more information. Do you want to go around and ask everyone what they felt before the change?" "Yeah, I'm willing to do anything to find out." She said determined.

"Alright, then let's go." She stood up from her chair and spun it to where it originally was. "Wait." Haseul turned around. "What is it?" "What did you feel?"

"Oh! Right I forgot. Hmm. I was flying around the forest when I spotted a farmer stumbling through the forest. I followed him until he got to the lake. He pleaded for rain, his village was suffering due to the lack of water." She closed her eyes and breathed slowly. "Unfortunately he was begging to the wrong goddesses, at the time there was only Heejin and Hyunjin and they couldn't do anything for him. He walked miles for what he thought was his only hope and it was all in vain. I felt so many things for this man. Pity, sorrow, dissatisfaction, helplessness. My strongest feeling though was my determination to help him."

"I watched him as he trudged through the forest, his feet heavy with despair. Every step he took my heart beat louder. She clenched a fist over her heart. The only thing running through my mind was 'I want to help him...I want to help him! Let me help him!' And that's when it happened. Once I transformed the skies turned gray and thunder could be heard. I realized that this was a sign and I chased after the farmer. Confident in my power, I gave him the blessing of rain. Once he reached his village it poured rain and it saved his fellow villagers."

"Wow...that's very selfless." She was in awe at the girl in front of her. "Haha thank you, but that's what we are supposed to do. We help and protect those in need. Now let's go find the others."

They exited the shrine. "Now I wonder where the others are?" "Oh we don't have to worry about that, I'll just track them all down by scent." Haseul raised an eyebrow. "What? That's how I found you." Haseul nodded. "Makes sense, I don't remember ever showing you where my shrine was. Curious, but what do I smell like?" "Well to sum it up, you smell like rain." Haseul facepalmed. "I should've known." "Haha, don't worry it's a very relaxing smell." Hyejoo reassured her.

"Which girls should we go after first?" "Let's just go in order and find Heejin. Wherever you find Heejin, Hyunjin is around." "Oh nice we're killing two birds with one stone." Haseul gave her a playful side eye. "Haha sorry poor choice of words." 

Hyejoo lowered her snout and sniffed around. "If I remember correctly Heejin smells like a cotton field while Hyunjin smells like tree bark." After a couple more seconds of sniffing around she picked up something. "Oh! I think I found it. And you're right the scent is mingled together, so they're probably with each other right now."

Haseul transformed into an elegant white bird. "I'll see if I can get a bird's eye view." She laughed. "I'll signal you when I see them." Hyejoo groaned at the pun and followed the scent. Haseul then flew high above the trees flying after Hyejoo.

A minute later Haseul spotted the duo in a meadow, playing with the flowers. She flew around in circles above the girls. "Ah that must be the signal." She picked up the pace until she reached the goddesses. 

"Hyejoo?" "What are you doing here?" Haseul flew down and transformed back before she landed. "Hyejoo wants clues on how to transform, so we're here to ask you what you felt before you changed into your human form." She explained the situation.

"Ahh." She nodded understanding. "Hyunjin and I are a little different." She glanced at her. "I was created first, but she followed not long after me. We were both created with the ability to talk, so communication wasn't much of an issue. Heejin explained. Well except for the fact that she never listened to a word I said." She glared at Hyunjin, who in turn pretended not to notice the angry stare.

"We spent every second together. Until one day we got into an arguement. I don't even remember what it was about, but it was probably stupid. I went looking for her to apologize. At the time this area was not considered sacred and so there were many traps placed by hunters. I warned her to be careful when walking around." She furrowed her brow. "And I found her with her leg stuck in a bear trap." Heejin's eyes glazed over. "I was terrified." She said barely above a whisper. Hyunjin held Heejin's hand and rubbed the back with her thumb.

"Hyunjin's leg was almost severed, she was bleeding so much I didn't know what to do. Waves of emotions hit me. Guilt, anguish, shock, dread. blame. But one emotion stuck out from the rest." She looked into Hyunjin's eyes. "Love. I didn't want her to leave me, she was the only one I had. After that realization my form changed. And I had the power to give Hyunjin a second chance at life." 

"And that's how I'm the first cat with 10 lives!" Heejin smacked Hyunjin on the arm. "I saved your life!" Hyunjin gently laughed. "Ha...I know and I thank you everyday for it." Hyunjin leaned her forehead against Heejin's. She closed her eyes. "I honestly thought I lost you forever." She breathlessly said with a tear running down her cheek. Hyunjin chuckled and wiped it away with her thumb. "You know you can't get rid of me that easily."

Hyejoo glanced a couple times at Haseul. "Ahem..." Haseul awkwardly cleared . "I hate to breakup this heartwarming scene, but we kinda have a long day ahead of us."

Heejin opened her eyes and then slowly pulled away. "Sorry, we got a little carried away. It's your turn now Hyunjin-ah."

"My situation is kind of similar to Heejin's. I was looking for Heejin and suddenly I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I absolutely had to find Heejin. I ran through the forest hoping I can pick up some sort of trail." She clenched her jaw in anger. "I found her scent, but I found another scent along with hers...it belonged to a bear... I knew something was wrong. I followed the trail and saw Heejin cornered by the beast."

"I raced towards her. She told me to stay away. 'Cus what can a cat do against a bear? I watched as it stood on its hind legs, towering over her." She growled. "I ran faster and faster, desperate. And then rather than running on four legs, I ended up with two, then back to four. This time my legs were more powerful. I watched the bear lift its paw to swipe down onto Heejin."

"Right before it did, I slammed my body into it. The bear lost its balance and fell over with a thud. I stood in front of Heejin as a tiger, making sure to defend her from any other attacks. I told her to get on and we made our escape while the bear was still down." She let out a breath as she was unintentionally holding it in.

"Once we were far enough I transformed back into my human form and hugged Heejin tightly, sobbing into her shoulder." 

"At first I thought she was crying because she was so scared, but then she lifted her head and said 'I'm so happy! I can finally hug you! I've been waiting so long for this to happen.' Like I almost died!" "I mean yeah I was scared, but when I realized I transformed I knew I was going to save you no matter what."

Heejin rolled her eyes at Hyunjin. "Anyways I hope that was helpful for you guys." "Hopefully you'll find what you need."

"Thanks for your help!" Hyejoo bowed and started walking away. Haseul gave them a smile before doing the same. 

"Detecting any patterns yet?" "Hmm. I think the transformation is due to a strong feeling or emotion while the powers are somewhat connected to the situation at hand. Like for you, you transformed while having a strong feeling of determination. Heejin's was a strong feeling of love. And Hyunjin's was desperation."

She thought about it some more. "As for the power...you wanted to bring rain for the villager, Heejin wanted to give life to Hyunjin, and Hyunjin wanted to change into something else that could fend off the bear."

Haeul nodded. "Hyunjin was right you are very observant." She patted Hyejoo on the head. "So next would be...Yeojin and Vivi." 

"Vivi is probably in her garden and sometimes Yeojin likes to help out with watering them." "Ah that makes sense. Vivi mainly smells like plum blossoms, but there are interferences of other floral scents. Meanwhile Yeojin smells like moss near a stream." 

"Alright follow me I know where Vivi's garden is." She waved a hand at Hyejoo and followed a river running nearby.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that this update was so late. This chapter was so hard to write since there were so many plot holes, like a lot. xD

Instead of the bear I was originally going to use a pack of wolves, but then Hyunjin would have a grudge against Hyejoo and she would never pull that prank on Heejin if it were wolves that attacked her.

I'm literally making up the story as I go. xD