Late Night

The Circle of Eden

The figure reached down and grabbed the plant from Hyejoo.

"Hey wha-" She looked up to see a blonde girl smiling at her. "Gowon! What are you doing out at this time?" She tilted her head.

"Vivi said she was coming by to give me a lavender plant. I was wondering why it was taking her so long so I went out for a bit to see where she was, only to find you struggling with a pot." She giggled.

"I was not struggling! I was simply..." She hesitated. "...taking a break..." Gowon smiled. "Alright if you say so~ But what are you doing with this plant?"

"Well I wanted to know how to gain my goddess form, so I went to Haseul for information. Unfortunately she didn't know either, but she suggested asking everyone else to see if there's some sort of pattern." She listed out the events of the day. "We eventually got to Vivi and Yeojin and she told us she was going to deliver that plant to you. I told her Haseul and I could do it for her since we're on our way there."

"I see, so you carried it all the way here?" "Well...it was more like Haseul carried it. I just carried it the rest of the way." She sheepishly replied. Gowon chuckled at the wolf's honesty. "I guess I'll have to stop by Haseul to give her my thanks. So are you heading toward's Yves?"

"I was originally going to go find you first so I could give you the plant, but you found me first." She wagged her tail slightly.

"Let's drop this off at my shrine and then we can walk together to Yves." Hyejoo hummed. "It's kinda late though...you really want to go?" Gowon playfully narrowed her eyes at the wolf. "Why? You don't want me to go? Ok that's fine." She turned around and turned to walk away. 

Hyejoo panicked and hopped in front of her. "Wait! I didn't say I didn't want you to go, but I just didn't want to waste your time." She fidgeted slightly at the last part, worried that she may have offended the other girl.

"I wouldn't have suggested going with you if I thought like that Hyejoo-ah." She gently smiled at the wolf. "Now c'mon before it gets really late." She started walking towards her shrine with Hyejoo following close behind.

They both arrive at the shrine and Gowon places the pot down next to her front door. "Alright let's get to Yves quickly!" Gowon transformed into a dainty little butterfly and landed in between Hyejoo's eyes.

"Uhhh...I thought your spirit animal is slow?" Her eyes blinked every time Gowon's wings opened. Gowon walked upwards between Hyejoo's ears. "It is, but you're not. Now onward! Mush! Yip yip!" Hyejoo chuckled. "Alright alright, you better hold on tight." And she dashed towards Yves' shrine.

In less than a minute the reached Yves' front door step. "Woo! That was a fun ride!" She laughed as she fluttered off and transformed back into her goddess shape. 

Hearing the commotion Yves opened her door to see what's going on. "Hey you two, I was wondering where you were today Hyejoo-ah."

"I was with Haseul asking everyone how they got their goddess form. So far I found out that there's a different pattern involved with each group. Now all I need is to hear Gowon's, Chuu's, and your story. Hopefully by the end of this I can figure it out and gain my goddess form too."

"Ahh ok we can talk about it inside." She held the door open for the two of them. 

They all settled down on the bed, sitting in a circle.

"Let's see...before my arrival the seasons were so out of balance. One year would have a summer that'll last half the year, the next year it would have a month long winter. It was absurd." She grimaced. "Farmers struggled to grow anything due to the erratic changes in temperature and weather, but they couldn't move away either since they couldn't predict the days ahead of them."

"I was created in Summer." Yves started.

"Wait if you were created in the Summer, why are you the Guardian of Autumn?" Hyejoo was slightly confused.

"After I was created Autumn was the longest season of the year, so I knew at that time which season I was associated with. Lucky for the farmers that Autumn is the season of harvest."

"When Autumn started Chuu was created, but unfortunately the rest of the seasons were still out of balance. Once it got close to the end of Autumn I developed my power of wind. I used it to bring an early winter." Hyejoo's eyebrow crinkled. "Wouldn't that be counterproductive? You said the farmers are struggling, why would you bring an early winter?"

Yves poked Hyejoo's head repeatedly. "Were you not listening? I said they were struggling because of the random seasons not because of winter itself." Hyejoo swatted the hand away. "Ok ok I get it." She scowled. 

"My job is to bring balance, even if it means shortening my own season. Then right before winter started I got my transformation." 

Hyejoo drops her head onto the bed and covers her eyes with her paws. "Not another pattern..." She groaned. "I've been running around interrogating everyone only to find out that there's different ways to transform." She flattened her ears.

"Awww, Hyejoo it's ok. If it makes you feel better I think it's really impressive how you figured out so much in so little time." Gowon gently petted the wolf's head. 

A soft smile grew on Hyejoo's face and closed her eyes in bliss.

Yves looked at the scene bewildered at how calm the wolf is. She reached out her hand to pet Hyejoo. The young wolf's eyes opened at the presence of a hand coming towards her, she gave her a glare that signaled Yves to not interrupt. She retracted her hand and pouted. "Why won't you let me pet you too?" 

Not willing to admit that Gowon is a special case she shrugged and quickly thought of an excuse. "One person at a time, too many hands bother me. Besides you've petted me before, it's nothing new."

Gowon gave Yves a smug smile to which the latter responded by rolling her eyes. "Anyways, you guys should get a move on to Chuu's place before it gets too dark." She got up and headed towards the door.

Right then Chuu bursts through the door hitting Yves in the face, making her cripple over in pain. "Hellooo! A little birdie, or should I say owl, told me that Son Hyejoo wants to hear about how I transformed!!~" Yves placed a hand on Chuu's shoulder and with her other hand she points to her red forehead and nose.

"Ah...I'm sorry." She held Yves' face in her hands and cooed. Yves sighed. "What did I tell you about opening doors without knocking?" She scolded causing Chuu to pout. "Knocking on the door prevents the door from knocking into someone's face..." "And whose face did you just slam into?" Chuu sheepishly smiled. "Yours..." She tippie toed to give Yves a quick peck on her nose making her turn pink. 

Yves smiled gently at the gesture. "Pfft!" A stifled laugh and snort could be heard, Chuu and Yves turned towards the two sitting on the bed watching the scene. Gowon and Hyejoo looked away in sync pretending they're not the ones who made those sounds.

Yves rolled her eyes at the younger duo and guided Chuu to the bed then sat down once again. "Alright since Chuu has graced us with her appearance, let's listen to her story." 

Chuu clapped her hands happily. "Right! So Yves probably told you how the seasons were out of wack. After I was created Winter was somewhat even with the rest of the seasons, but still quite short in comparison."

"You still are short in comparison." Gowon snickered. "Hey! You're just as short as I am!" Chuu exclaimed, offended. "I have an excuse, I'm younger than you and yet we're the same height." Gowon childishly stuck her tongue out. Chuu pointed a finger at her. "This cheeky girl, just because you're one year younger than me doesn't mean anything!" 

Chuu narrowed her eyes at Hyejoo. "You better not grow taller than me!" Hyejoo glanced at the rest of her body then at Chuu. "I think it's already too late." She hopped off the bed and awkwardly balanced on her hind legs, proving that she's already several inches taller than her.

"I meant when you transform! You don't know how tall you'll be in your human form." Hyejoo shrugged and then jumped back onto the bed. "True, but I bet I'll still be taller than you." She said while smirking. Chuu pouted and looked at Yves for support. "Don't look at me, I'm the tallest out of all of us and the others. Anyways just accept the fact that you're short and move on with your story."

"Fine." She huffed and crossed her arms. "Winter was shorter than the other seasons. So what did I do? I just made it longer!" She spread her arms wide, almost as wide as her smile. "After I did, I got my transformation and Gowon was created at the start of Winter."

"How'd you do that?" Hyejoo questioned. 

"Well it wasn't easy since I only had a short amount of time to figure it out, but basically before spring came I got my power to make snow and/or ice. Basically I make things cold, very fitting for a penguin." She puckered her lips cutely. To which Yves quickly met with her own, surprising Chuu and Hyejoo.

"Woah...didn't know you guys were a thing..." Hyejoo looked at them with wide eyes. "Just ignore them, they show their affection everywhere." Gowon rolled her eyes.

"Who else are a couple? I know Heejin and Hyunjin are. Jinsoul and Kimlip are suspicious. And Haseul is a mess around Vivi. Choerry and Yeojin I sense are friends, but maybe more in the future?" 

"You're right about all of them. How'd you find out about everyone?" Gowon curiously asked.

"Oh pfft, Heejin and Hyunjin were all over each other when I was asking them about their past." She snorted. "Jinsoul and Kimlip were subtle, but I saw the way they brushed hands and looked at each other. And oh my gosh Haseul." She laughed. "She was a stuttering mess in front of Vivi, I'm pretty sure Vivi is doing it for fun."

The others snorted. "Yeah you hit the nail on the head! Vivi is definitely aware of Haseul's feelings. The feeling is also mutual, but she's trying to get the girl to have the courage to confess." Yves rolled her eyes. "It's going to take awhile though, Haseul can barely say a full sentence without getting flustered. It's almost funny."

Chuu gently slapped Yves' arm. "You can't say anything, you were the same way if not worse!" The two younger ones laughed as Chuu exposed her. "I- I was not!" She denied. "Oh please, I remember you avoided me for a whole week. It really hurt you know..." Chuu pouted and wiped away a nonexistent tear.

Panic flashed in Yves' eyes and she wrapped her arms around Chuu. She immediately smiled and returned the hug. "Heehee I'm only messing with you." She leaned in for a kiss. "OKAY we don't need to see that again." Hyejoo interrupted. Yves gave her a slight glare while Gowon giggled. "Yeah! We don't need to see that." She echoed Hyejoo.

"Alright alright enough you two, it's late and I want to sleep." Yves patted Gowon and Hyejoo on the head. "Wait, I haven't heard Gowon's story yet." Hyejoo tilted her head towards Gowon.

"Oh right...mmm...it's pretty late though, maybe tomorrow?" Hyejoo's ears flattened and Gowon smiled at the sight. "How about you sleep over? I can tell you my story that way we won't bother Yves." She looked at Yves, who nodded in approval. She then turned towards Hyejoo. "If that's ok with you of course." 

Internally Hyejoo was ecstatic, but she was cooler than that she wasn't going to let it show. "Yeah that's fine by me." However her tail had a mind of its own and was practically creating a mini tornado behind her.

Yves gave the young wolf a smirk and signaled towards her tail with her eyes. The wolf's face stiffened in realization and immediately stopped her tail. "A-Anyways, let's get going since this hag needs her beauty sleep." She tugged on Gowon's sleeve before rushing out the door.

"Excuse me?!" Yves got up and ran up to the door before realizing that the wolf was long gone. Sighing she flopped onto the bed. "This kid..." Chuu and Gowon giggled.

"I guess I'll get going, she's probably waiting for me." Gowon hopped off the bed and waved at the two of them. "Good night!~" "Stay safe." They replied and watched as Gowon went out the door.

"I guess I better get going too." Chuu started to get up until Yves gently held her wrist. "Something wrong?" Chuu looked at her with a soft expression, knowing already what she wants.

"...Sleepover?" Yves pouted cutely. "Thought you'd never ask~" Chuu nuzzled herself into Yves' neck and let out a sigh of content. "Good night~" The taller girl pulled the smaller one closer and smiled. "Good night."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gowon walked a bit from Yves' shrine.

"Psst!" Gowon looked towards the direction where the sound came from. "Hyejoo?" She called out into the trees.

"Did she stop chasing me?" Hyejoo looked around as she cautiously emerged from the darkness. 

Gowon watched her, amused. "Yeah, she didn't even make it out the door before she gave up." She snickered.

Hyejoo shook her body, getting rid of leaves and twigs that got stuck in her fur. "Pfft. I ran this far for nothing." Gowon walked towards the wolf and helped pick out some stubborn leaves.

"I thought you'd be waiting back at my shrine." She continued picking out small pieces of debris. "And leave you to walk alone at night with those shadow monsters potentially lurking around? Yeah absolutely not." She huffed.

With several final pats the wolf was finally clean and they continued walking. "Awww is someone worried about me?" She teased.

"Well...um...yeah. Those things sound scary, I don't know what I would do if one of those things came after you or the others. I've literally spent my whole life with you guys." Hyejoo honestly replied.

Gowon was pleasantly surprised and smiled gently at the thought that Hyejoo is genuinely worried about her and everyone else. "Don't tell anyone else though, I'll lose my tough image." Hyejoo playfully glared at her. Gowon crossed her heart with her finger. "Not a soul."

The duo arrived at Gowon's shrine. The blonde quickly checked on the potted plant and then headed inside, holding open the door for the wolf.

The walls were a pale purple and a faint smell of lavender wafted through the air. Gowon made her way to her bed and patted the spot next to her, signaling to the wolf that it was ok to come up.

"So...my story is quite similar to Yves' and Chuu's. I got my power towards the end of spring, my power is similar to Vivi's where both of us have the power to control nature. However, I can delay or extend the process of growth. Whereas Vivi nurtures. That's why her healing powers are so powerful." Hyejoo nodded understanding.

Gowon flopped onto her back. "Tell me what you think the pattern is. I know you figured it out already, if not then I know you have some sort of theory." Hyejoo tilted her head to look at her.

"Well, you guys got your powers and transformation before the end of the season. And the next goddess creation wasn't until the next year before their assigned season." She perked her ears up. "Did I get everything?"

"Yup. Now you can predict when your transformation will happen and what kind of power you'll get."

Hyejoo hummed. "Mmm so towards the end of summer, what is summer related to? Heat?" Gowon sat up in a flash. "What if you get fire powers?! That'd be so cool!"

"You mean hot?" The wolf joked and in response Gowon scowled and playfully shoved her. "Shut up, you know what I mean." Their laughter died down.

"So...basically it's just a game of patience?" Hyejoo wondered. "Hmm I guess so? Of course you can't slack on your training, gotta be ready to control your powers if you really do get fire powers."

Suddenly a wave of panic and nervousness washed over the usually confidant wolf. "Wh- What if...what if I accidentally burn the whole forest down?! What if I hurt someone?! I- I don't know what I'd do...I-" Gowon engulfs the wolf in a tight hug and Hyejoo's shaking subsides. "Hyejoo...I believe you won't. No, I know you won't. Your heart won't allow that to happen, it's passionate and determined."

"You don't know that..." She mumbles. "Your training reflected that. The way you pushed yourself every night and more, I know cuz I saw and I know the heart of my soulmate." She softly said.

Hyejoo could tell the small blonde girl was nervous, she could hear her heart thumping from a mile away but it's especially loud when there's no space between them.

Hundreds of questions were running through her mind but there was one that was calling out to her the loudest. "I'm your soulmate?"

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhh....I'm so sorry....that's all I have to say, I have no excuse for how late this is.

Also thank you to my new subscribers I'm sorry I can't thank you all individually but I really appreciate everyone's support!

I'll do my best to do more updates! Again really sorry for not updating for almost a year.