One piece

Calling your bluff
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Come on, Hiichan. Where are you?” Sakura said as she threw the binoculars to the dashboard in frustration. Sakura and Nako were inside a car parked in one of the streets in Tokyo after following through the information they gathered from there sources. They were told that Hitomi and another woman, who was probably Chaewon, went to the bakery twice a week. However, their source did not know exactly when the two would visit the café so Sakura and Nako decided to stake out the store during their business hours. It has been three days since they started the stakeout, but still no sign of Hiichan or Chaewon. Sakura put her hands on her face and used her fingers to rub her tired eyes.

 

“I really wish Hiichan shows up today. Sitting inside the car for 12 hours is killing my back,” Nako shifted in her seat to get to a more comfortable position. They had been observing the store entrance from their car, which was parked a safe distance away. She took the binoculars that Sakura was using earlier from the dashboard to get a better look at the entrance.

“Why did you have to rent a compact car? SUVs have more comfortable seats, and it actually makes the stakeout legit,” whined Nako as she continued to look for a comfortable sitting position.

 

“First off,” Sakura stopped rubbing her eyes and turned to face Nako. “We couldn’t rent another car since we rented this on short notice. Second, Honda Fits run smoothly and are very fuel efficient. And lastly, I didn’t want to rent an SUV since I wasn’t sure if your feet can even touch the pedals while you’re driving it.”

 

It was Nako’s turn to throw the binoculars to the dashboard. “Hey, I’m supposed to be the one in charge of cars in this crew, so don’t question my ability to reach any pedal. I could have just stolen a car for us, you know. I could have gotten us a Rav4 or an X-Trail---”

 

“Heose told us to lay low while we’re here. We don’t want to get caught jacking cars before we found Hiichan.”

 

“Yena-unnie told us to lay low, but she didn’t tell us to ride a Tamiya.”

 

Sakura just sighed and took the binoculars back. There was no use arguing with Nako about cars. The smaller girl always had a passion for the SUVs with powerful engines; the more powerful the engine is, the more it’s likely to be stolen by her. It might be caused by her need to overcome her shortcomings (pun intended), but if anyone told Nako that to her face they would be lucky if they survived. She looked through the binoculars and was surprised by what she saw.

Sakura suddenly began hitting Nako’s arm repeatedly and shouted, “Hey Nako! Ya, Nako! I think I just saw Hiichan. She looked a bit different, but I saw her go into the store!”

 

Nako sat back up and blocked one of Sakura’s hits to know that she had her full attention. “Are you sure? Was she alone?”

 

“Yeah, she was alone. She had a different hairstyle, but I saw her face and it looked like her. Let’s go check.”

 

The two got out of the car and walked towards the bakery. While walking, they were suddenly cut off by a girl, who seemed like a part-timer, handing out flyers for a restaurant nearby. The girl approached them with a big smile on her face and said, “Please come to our restaurant! We will give you a 10% discount if you bring this flyer, so please come!”

 

Sakura and Nako tried to sidestep the part-timer, but she was persistent. She stayed in front of the duo until Sakura finally decided to take a flyer from her without taking a single glance. The part-timer then shouted, “Thank you! I hope you come to our store soon!”

 

At that moment, a familiar face came out of the store. It was Hitomi, but she looked completely different from her file photo. She had slimmed down so much that her cheeks were not as fluffy as before. She had changed her hair color to blonde and her hairstyle to one where her bangs were neatly flushed to the side. She was wearing a mint green dress with a light jacket and a backpack to complete the look. They wouldn’t have recognized her if not for their long and colorful past together that made them recognize each other’s faces.

 

Sakura and Nako nodded to each other and started following the blonde. They crossed the street to get to the same side as her and maintained a safe distance. They were used to trailing people since it was part of the job, but they knew they had to be more careful since they’re trailing someone as experienced as they are. There was nothing out of the ordinary with Hitomi’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter