On occupations and affairs

Calling your bluff
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello, Yuri. Can we talk?” Chaewon answered calmly while she stood in front of the door, “May I come in?”

 

“What’s there to talk about? I trusted you with my money and you just took it all away!” Yuri said in an angry, hushed voice. She didn’t want Yena to hear anything that was happening at the door, nor did she want to see who was at the door. It was her problem, and her problem alone.

 

She was about to shut the door in front of the visitor when Chaewon pushed the door back. “It’s all just a misunderstanding, and I want to clear it up. Please. Hear me out----”

 

“No, you ing con artist! I can’t believe I trusted you---” Yuri looked back to check if Yena was coming to check the door. Seeing that there was no one coming, she continued to try to shut the door on Chaewon but she was met with strong resistance from the visitor.

 

With one strong push, Chaewon finally overpowered Yuri and flung the door open. Yuri could only take a few steps back because of the impact, but it was enough for her to hit one of the shoe drawers by the door. Yuri was about to pounce on Chaewon when she saw a small bag that was labeled to be from a familiar jewelry store.

 

“I have your ring and I’m here to give it to you. Now, can you please hear me out?” Chaewon finally said when the two of them have calmed down. Yuri walked over to Chaewon to check the content of the bag; inside was a small, red, velvety box with two letter Y’s embroidered on top. She opened the said box to find the engagement ring she fawned over because of how perfect it was.

 

dropped and she was lost for words when she looked to her red-haired friend. She could only manage a few excited nods, which Chaewon understood well.

 

“Yes, that’s exactly what you ordered.”

 

“I--- I thought they don’t have this design anymore. I---” Yuri couldn’t find the words to explain the happiness she was feeling, so she decided to just hug the friend whom she thought was a fraud. She felt sorry about how angry she was at the woman who was at her doorstep, but she still needed to hear an explanation.

 

A husky voice suddenly asked, “What’s going on here?”

 

Yuri quickly released Chaewon from the embrace and hid the bag behind her back when she faced the owner of the voice, “Oh Yena! I’d like you to meet my friend Kim Chaewon. Chaewon, this is my girlfriend Yena.”

 

Yuri saw the two girls make eye contact and exchange slight bows, but there was no shock or excitement from their eyes. It seemed like the two were familiar with each other, but Yuri pushed the thought of the two knowing each other out of her head because it seemed impossible for the two to know each other.

 

Yena gave a slight nod and asked in a monotonous voice, “Come in. Have you eaten?”

 

Chaewon answered, “Yes, eon--- Yena-ssi. I’m just dropped by to talk to Yuri about something.”

 

Yena answered with a slight nod and turned to go back to the dining room to resume eating her waffles. Yuri looked towards the two girls and had a confused look on her face. If Yuri would be honest, she found the whole scene strange. Her girlfriend walks in to her hugging a stranger, but she doesn’t even flinch. She could have been wrong, but she thought she saw Yena looking at Chaewon and not her while she asked about what was happening. The two did not even shake hands upon meeting, which she knew was Yena’s habit when she met new people.

 

Could it be that Yena… is jealous of Chaewon?

But if that’s true, why would she invite her in?

 

Yuri’s thought process was interrupted once again by Chaewon when the latter asked, “Is there a place where we can talk in private?”

 

“Sure,” Yuri answered as she closed the door and led Chaewon into the house.

 

“Yena, Chaewon and I are just going to talk in the bedroom about something,” Yuri said nonchalantly to the girl who was eating at the dining room. She knew she didn’t have to do that, but she wanted to illicit a reaction from her girlfriend so she could have an idea what was happening inside the older girl’s head.

 

As expected, Yena replied instantly, “No. I’ll go to the bedroom. You two can chat in the living room. You might have some catching up to do since you haven’t seen each other for a while.” Yena then stood up immediately from her seat and carried her half-filled plate of waffles to the bedroom. Yuri could only follow her girlfriend with her eyes before the bedroom door slammed shut. Yuri then turned to Chaewon and led her to the couch at the living room.

 

Yuri sat down on one end of the couch with her legs crossed and shoulders leaned back to the edge of the couch.

 

“I’m listening.”

 

Chaewon told Yuri about what happened after she got back from Japan, but of course it was all bull. Apparently, Hitomi had already expected this to happen when they approached Yuri so they bought the ring in advance. She was surprised when Hitomi gave her the bag with Yuri’s ring in it after their planning session a couple of days ago. Her Japanese girlfriend then told her to make a believable story on how there was a mistake about the delivery and the ring somehow ended up being ordered from another branch and shipped to Japan. While she was telling her story, she can see Yuri listening and nodding to what she said. The girl didn’t ask a lot of difficult questions, much to Chaewon’s relief. Yuri took it well, and she didn’t get caught in a lie.

 

“I take it Yena’s the lucky girl?” Chaewon asked Yuri, half-curious and half- trying to take the responsibility of talking off her shoulders.

 

“That’s right, but I feel that I am the lucky girl in this relationship though. She’s so caring and loving and I couldn’t think of a better person to spend my life with,” Yuri replied with a smile on her face. “But I’m curious about something, Chaewon.”

 

“What about?”

 

“Do you know Yena? She acted a little weird when she saw you on our doorstep, but not in a bad way. It felt like she actually knows you from somewhere.”

 

Chaewon did not expect this curveball from Yuri. Were they too obvious? If Yuri was this intuitive, it was impressive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter