SP: Eunbi's woes

Calling your bluff
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is the backstory of how Eunbi suddenly had a change of heart.

 

It had been close to a year since Eunbi was assigned to this undercover job. Her mission was to spy on Jang Wonyoung and gather more evidence about the Jang family corruption and their evil deeds, a mission usually given to lower ranked special agents since it wasn't an immediate threat to national security. As a former senior special agent (SSA) of the white-collar crime department, she didn't expect to be working a case like this again, but she had no choice. She had been demoted due to the failure of one of her missions.

However, Eunbi was not able to get solid evidence against the Jang family even after a year of spying on her. Although she comes off as a spoiled brat, Wonyoung was actually smart, both book smart and street smart. She knew how to move without leaving traces and how to cut off tails when needed. Eunbi had managed to get bits and pieces from different crime scenes and info she heard from Wonyoung herself, but nothing that would hold up in court. The special agent hoped that this assignment would end soon, so she can go back to the NIS and be reinstated as a senior special agent, but more importantly,

 

She wouldn't have to do Wonyoung's dirty deeds anymore.

 

Which was exactly what Eunbi was doing now. It was her turn to watch the prisoners, Choi Yena and Kim Chaewon. She had heard of "Heose" before, but people thought she was just an urban legend. The NIS was aware of her existence, but somehow none of her victims had filed a complaint against her, which is a testament of her skills. And now, "Heose" or Choi Yena is here in front of her covered in bruises, with arms and legs bound, and head down. She expected nothing less after watching the whole spectacle of a girl named Yuri disowning Yena whilst she was groggy and bound to a chair. Eunbi thought it was enough to crush Yena's soul yet it wasn't enough for Eunbi to feel bad. However, it didn't make her feel good either. She wasn't that bad.

 

She was about to leave the room and call Minjoo for a shift change when Yena suddenly spoke,

 

"I know you. You're SSA Kwon Eunbi, aren't you?"

 

Eunbi was surprised that the con artist was able to identify her. Before she took the mission, they had modified her background so that it seemed like she was a mercenary for hire, and that included deleting her records as an SSA. So how would this girl know about her SSA days?

 

"I'm afraid you're mistaken. I just joined the NIS last year as per Ms. Jang's instructions. I'm just a lowly field agent--"

 

"Shibuya Crossing. Two years ago."

 

Eunbi's eyes widened as she recalled what happened on the day she got demoted.

 

 

[TOKYO, 2 years ago]

"Sian! I'm pretty sure someone else is pulling the strings here. Although this guy is an , he still got swindled! I don't know how or why he's keeping his mouth shut but there is something shady with this case and you know it!" Eunbi was livid. She had noticed that there was a number in their suspect's log that they regularly called, and that a huge chunk of the illegal offshore account had been withdrawn just the day before.

Instead of yielding, the woman named Sian faced her and said, "Eunbi, I know I'm your partner but our mission is to apprehend this guy for his OWN crimes. Who even cares if someone swindled him, right?"

"You do know that if we can't produce his offshore accounts our case will go to , right?"

"That's not on us, that's on the prosecutors."

"SIAN!"

 

The younger agent ignored Eunbi's pleas and cuffed the suspect. Without a word, she brought the suspect to the car and drove off without waiting for Eunbi.

 

, Eunbi thought. She was about to walk towards the nearest bar to let off some steam when she saw a woman carrying a familiar briefcase headed towards the crosswalk. After a few seconds of following the woman, she confirmed that the briefcase was owned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter