Doubts turn lies into truths

Calling your bluff
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Previously:

“How about an IZ* crystal?”

 

Wonyoung suddenly stopped walking and turned to Yena. “What do you mean, IZ* crystal? I heard there are only 12 in the world and---”

 

“One of them is mine,” interjected Yena, “and I am willing to sell it to you for a reasonable price.”

 

Agent Kim Minju was trying hard not to stare at the woman Ms. Jang Wonyoung was talking to. The woman seemed very familiar to her, especially when the woman closed her eyes. She checked the tablet for the progress of their facial recognition software in their database.

 

Matching Progress: 30%

 

This is too slow, Minju thought. She was sure that she has seen that face somewhere, so she looked at her phone to look at the pictures from her recent cases. Her eyes widened when she saw a photo from one of her recent cases. She then tapped the leg of the agent who was next to her, who was trying to maintain her cover by eating her food in the classiest way possible.

 

“What is it, Agent Kim?” the older agent asked in between bites of her medium rare steak, “Did the facial recognition software bring up anyone?”

 

“Agent Kwon, the software’s still working so I am not sure about it, but I know that we’ve seen this woman somewhere. So, I checked my phone and I saw this picture. I think it’s her.” Minju then showed her phone to Agent Kwon, who nodded in agreement.

 

“I think they look the same, but the hair color is different. The picture you have doesn’t have a good resolution so it’s too early to tell—”

 

“Eunbi-unnie--- I mean Agent Kwon, I’m pretty sure about this. Shouldn’t we just warn them that she might be someone in the database?” Minju interjected. If she was right, then they could close one of their official cases while they protect Jang Wonyoung from a con artist.

 

“Okay, I’ll send them a message. What’s the name of the suspect again?”

 

Minju showed Eunbi the notes on her phone, which Eunbi copied on her message.

 

The text message:

Ms. Jang, Agent Kim here said that you might be meeting with a con artist right now. Be careful.

A message alert sounded from Yujin’s phone. The bodyguard read the message and showed it to Wonyoung, while eyeing Yena suspiciously. Wonyoung took the phone and another alert came in. The young CEO read the latest message and gave Yena a smug look.

 

Wonyoung’s smile then turned into a smirk and asked, “Who are you really, Miss Choi Yena?”

 

Yena tried to gauge the situation. Did I just get caught? How? I’m sure I’m currently not in any police wanted lists, but I am not sure how deep this girl’s contacts are. She looked at Wonyoung’s eyes to get clues about what she was possibly hiding. Is she bluffing? Probably not. She definitely has something, so I should proceed carefully with this.

 

Without breaking eye contact, Yena shrugged and said, “What do you mean? I’m THE Choi Yena, CEO of P48 Holdings, Inc. I told you---”

 

Wonyoung did not back down from Yena’s stares either and responded, “Are you sure about that? I am giving you a chance to come clean right now. If you do, I’ll think about showing mercy for you.”

 

“Because I know who you really are, you sly con artist.”

 

Yena could not believe her ears from what she just heard. How did she know???

 

“How dare you accuse me of such a thing---”, Yena was about to yell in a louder voice when she was interrupted by Yujin’s phone ringing.

 

While the staring contest was occurring, an alert came from Minju’s tablet which took the agent’s attention from the other table.

 

Search Complete: NO MATCHES

 

Oh no! Minju thought to herself. Minju immediately grabbed Eunbi’s phone and called Yujin’s number to let her know about the results of the facial recognition software. She might have cost Wonyoung a deal because of her mistake and she didn’t want to deal with the consequences, not knowing that it was Wonyoung who was holding her bodyguard’s phone.

 

Wonyoung was slightly startled when the phone on her hand rang. After seeing who it was in the Caller ID, she answered the call.

 

“This better be good,” Wonyoung said with a confident tone, hoping to scare off the suspicious person sitting in front of her.

 

“Oh. Miss Jang. Hmmm. I’m afraid there is a mistake on my part. That woman is not Kim Chaewon; she’s not even on our database---”

 

“What?” Wonyoung exclaimed, bringing the attention of the entire restaurant to their table. She then said in an angry but hushed voice, “I’ll deal with you later.”

 

The young CEO looked back at Yena, her face plastered with an embarrassed smile, “I believe there was a misunderstanding on our end. I apologize.” To Yena’s surprise, Wonyoung stood up and bowed at a 90-degree angle in front of her, which made the con artist speechless.

 

But she’s not wrong, though, Yena thought to herself, trying to hold back a chuckle.

 

“One of my associates thought that you were Kim Chaewon, a con artist who was involved in a fraud case recently. Upon double-checking, it seemed that you two just looked alike. And for that, I sincerely apologize.”

 

Yena couldn’t even speak, not because she was almost caught, but she was compared to Kim Chaewon the newbie thief. She couldn’t understand how they looked alike; their facial structure, hair color, and heights are different. How the can anyone think I am Kim Chaewon?

 

Like a true con artist, Yena tried to play it cool. “I must say, this is the first time I’ve ever been treated this way Miss Jang. Is this how you treat potential business partners? This is very disappointing.”

 

Wonyoung forced a laugh to try to lift the mood of the table, “Oh come on, Yena. I can’t be too careful about con artists. They’re a pain in the , you know? Especially after what happened with my father--- never mind. Business is business, right? How about we get back to that?”

 

Yena looked away from Wonyoung, a calculated move to gain the younger one’s trust. She was then reminded of what her mentor taught her.

 

Doubts can transfo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter