Hook, Line, and... Sunk?

Calling your bluff
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yena and Hitomi were at a rooftop when Yena’s phone rang. It was Sakura reporting that they have successfully stolen the crystal and were on their way back to the headquarters. Yena asked whether everyone was safe to which Sakura replied positively.

 

“Great job. Drive safe, okay?” said Yena as she ended the call.

“Do they have the crystal?” asked Hitomi, who had already guessed who called based on what the older girl was saying on the phone.

 

“Yes. They’re on their way back.”

 

“I guess we should plan on the next step---”

 

Yena interjected, “But first, give me your word that you’ll return the money you scammed from Yuri.”

 

Hitomi turned to her and replied, “Of course. I may be a grifter, but my word is my honor. I’ll tell Chaewon to return it within this week.” Yena responded with a curt nod and leaned on the railings to observe Seoul’s landscape from the rooftop.

 

“So, do you have any plans on how to approach Wonyoung?”

 

“Me?” Yena asked to which the Japanese responded by raising her eyebrow, “Right. She knows you because she went to your trial. I forgot.”

 

“You’ve really forgotten that you sold me out to the cops, huh?” Hitomi asked in a rising tone as she approached Yena.

 

Yena blurted out “No, I didn’t mean it that way---”

 

“Then how did you mean it?”

 

Yena bit her lip remained silent. She knew that whatever she says will not help her cause, especially since she was against Hitomi. The Japanese girl responded to the silence by giving Yena a hard shove and said, “Look, I am trying to get over the fact that you sold me out. I am trying to understand that you sold out your best friend and your comrade to clear your conscience before you approach the love of your life. But YOU FORGOT? YOU ING FORGOT? That’s just adding insult to injury.”

 

“I’m sorry---”

“No, you don’t get to say sorry now. You made your choice. You picked Yuri over me, and I have no choice but to accept that. I just hate how pathetic I am to approach you for this job, but I also know that you’re the only one I can trust with this con. Right now, I am willing to put all our bad blood aside just to get back at Wonyoung for what she did to Chaewon’s family. But don’t you dare, I repeat, DON’T YOU DARE think I’ve forgiven you for what you did.”

 

Yena was trying to hold back tears when she listened to Hitomi’s tirade about their past together. Hitomi was right, she did sell her best friend out just so she can approach Yuri. It was a selfish move, but Yena did not regret it even for a second. That said, Yena was not expecting forgiveness either, but they were both professionals. The mission comes first; above emotions and everything else.

 

Yena responded in a soft voice which cracked in every syllable, “Understood. I’m sorry.”  

 

“Let’s talk about the plan tomorrow. I can’t do this with you right now.”

 

Hitomi turned her back from Yena and walked towards the rooftop exit. Before she opened the door, she looked back to the older girl and asked, “Did you know that Yuri was planning to propose to you?”

 

“I kinda gathered as much when she told me about the incident…”

 

“Then have you told her who you really are and what you do for a living? You do remember what happened with Juri, right?”

 

Yena pursed her lips while thinking about the answer to Hitomi’s question. She then answered, “This is going to be my last score. After this, I’ll lead a normal life as Yuri’s wife, so I don’t think she needs to know. More like, she’s better off not knowing.”

 

Hitomi shrugged her shoulders, showing her disagreement with what Yena said. “It’s your life. I’ll talk to Chaewon tomorrow, so you better get your plan together by tomorrow morning.”

 

“And that’s the plan. If there are no complaints, I’ll be leaving now to prepare for the approach.” Yena clapped her hands to signal the end of her so-called plan. Everybody seemed onboard with it except for Yuri and Hyewon.

 

“You call that a plan? It’s like 90% winging it!” Hyewon exclaimed as she still couldn’t process how the plan will work.

 

“Trust me, Yena has the skills to pull this off,” Nako said reassuringly as she followed Sakura to the workstation which was surrounded with monitors, radios, and other random technology.

 

“But---” interjected Chaewon, but she was interrupted before she got to interrupt.

 

“It’s fine, Chaewon and Kwangbae. I’ll vouch for her,” said Hitomi in a calm and soothing voice. “Chaewon, can I talk to you for a second?”

 

The two left the room, leaving Kwangbae with the two Japanese girls who were working on something for Yena’s plan.

 

“What is that for?” said Hyewon while pointing to a small antenna that Sakura was holding.

 

“This is a next-generation repeater and transmitter. If we can place it near Jang Wonyoung’s office, we will be able to get a copy of all outgoing and incoming internet traffic that goes through their wifi router,” Sakura explained while making fine adjustments to her newly completed gizmo.

 

“That’s cool! I didn’t expect that from a hottie like you,” said Hyewon before winking seductively towards Sakura. The Japanese girl just looked at the brawler girl with a confused look as a response.

 

Nako cringed and tried to steer the conversation away from the obvious flirting happening beside her. “That makes our jobs easy, then. Do we just put it on our dashboard and let it do its magic while we wait in the car near her office?”

 

Sakura’s face turned from confused to awkward when she turned to face Nako, “You see, about that… There are a lot of WiFi routers in the company building so this gizmo wouldn’t be effective if it was set up outside the building. It needs to be near the source so that we don’t get a lot of noise from the other routers, but it should be hidden enough enough that it wouldn’t be detected by bug searchers. Bottomline is it needs to be in the same floor as Jang Wonyoung’s office, but virtually undetectable.”

 

“Don’t tell me… Kkura-unnie please!”

 

“At least you can ask Kwangbae to back you up,” Sakura replied with a big grin on her face.

 

Hyewon looked puzzled upon hearing her name in the conversation, “Say what now?”

 

Nako could only sigh in resignation, “Like that would be any help. She wouldn’t fit there anyway.”

 

 

“Tell me again why I’m always assigned to go into the vents,” whispered Nako through the comms as she crawled to narrow ventilation shaft on Wonyoung’s floor. She and Hyewon snuck into the building disguised as custodians; custodians are usually temporary so nobody bothers to know their names or their faces, making it the best cover if they wanted to move around the building. After socializing with the real custodians, they started making trades so that they can be assigned to the floor and the wing they needed to be. Hyewon went to the 3rd floor where the server room was, while Nako was navigating herself in the vents in the 12th floor.

 

“Because you’re short,” Hyewon answered as she entered the server room. She had left her cart near the men’s restroom and put up a sign that said “Cleaning ongoing. Please use the other restrooms.” Luckily, there weren’t many people on that floor walking around so she was able to walk through the server room without anyone seeing her.

 

Nako exclaimed with a breathy voice to avoid making unnecessary noise, “ off! Are you in the server room yet?”

 

“Yeah, just got in. It’s a good thing that this jus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter