Chapter 7

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

The werewolves slowly recovered from Hanbin leaving, and Eunwoo was back to work at the hospital while Rocky was working at the coffee shop on days where Ricky wasn't working. Chan and Luna stayed around for a while, heading back home after Chan needed to get back to the pack house when everyone else got busy with things.

"Word has it that a new pack will be making their presence known really soon," Moonbin said one day while everyone was eating dinner. "What species? Who's the leader?" Asked Eunwoo. "Werewolf, and we're not sure yet," said Moonbin. "This pack has even managed to hide from my information network," said Chanwoo.

"Should we be worried about them?" Asked Dami. "No," said Chanwoo. "I've gotten good word from Yedam about how the pack is run," he said. "But, I'm going to need my betas there," said Moonbin. "Yixing gave the okay," he said. "We won't be working, but we'll be at the coffee shop," he said. "Alright," said Eunwoo. Rocky nodded.

 

~



The day the pack showed up was no different than any other normal day, Chanwoo working with Jinwoo, Renjun and Yoonbin. "They still haven't come to get you yet?" Asked Chanwoo. "Unfortunately not," said Renjun. "Something big must've come up then," said Chanwoo.

Moonbin walked in with Eunwoo and Rocky behind him, Eunwoo and Rocky sporting their usual blank expressions. "Yo 'Bin," said Chanwoo. "Hello," said Moonbin. "The usual?" Asked Chanwoo. "Please," said Moonbin as he went to pay for the drinks. Chanwoo processed the order and handed back the change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. Moonbin nodded and went to sit down with Eunwoo and Rocky sitting on either side of him.

Not an hour later three new people walked in, with the person at the center having an aura that just screamed that he was the leader of the group. Chanwoo immediately straightened out of reflex, eyeing the new people with a blank expression. "Hello," he said in German, then in English. "Hello," said the leader of the group, speaking English.

"What can I get you?" Asked Chanwoo, his eye moving to look at Moonbin who was watching the exchange while pretending to do something on his phone. "I was told to ask for the usual," said the new person. "May I ask for your name?" Asked Chanwoo as he rung up the order. "Gunhak," said Gunhak as he handed over the money. Chanwoo nodded and processed the order before handing back the change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. Gunhak nodded and turned, spotting Moonbin, Eunwoo and Rocky. He then walked over to their table and sat down in front of Moonbin, the other two choosing to sit at a table close by.

"You finally decided to show up hm?" Asked Moonbin as he looked up from his phone. Gunhak rested his arms on the table, his head tilting to the side slightly. "I guess I did," he said.

"Who do you work for?" Asked Moonbin as he straightened up in his chair. "No one of your concern," said Gunhak. "But it seems you have a human that's been marked," he said, sitting back and crossing his arms. "That's not information easily gained," said Eunwoo as he had his full attention towards Gunhak. "It's not hard information to gain when you ask the right people," Gunhak said in response.

"Who do you work for then?" Asked Rocky as he leaned forward, curious. "No one you know," said Gunhak as Yoonbin walked over with their coffee, placing the cups down. Gunhak nodded and Yoonbin nodded once in return before going back to the counter.

"You seem rather... Hesitant to tell us," said Moonbin. "It's nothing against you," said Gunhak as he shrugged, unfolding his arms as he leaned forward, resting his arms against the table and grabbing onto the cup of coffee. "But we'd have to get permission first," he said. "Besides, if Yedam told you we were okay, why are you so eager to learn about who we work for?" He asked, raising an eyebrow before he took a sip of his coffee.

"It's more for Chanwoo's sake," said Moonbin. "He likes to keep the information network up to date," he said. "I see," said Gunhak. "You will have to meet him yourself then," he said.

"Can your other pack members introduce themselves then?" Asked Moonbin. Gunhak nodded, as the other two members of his pack moved over to the table with their coffee. "Introduce yourselves," he said. "I am Xion, I'm the youngest," said Xion. "I am Youngjo," said Youngjo. "I am the oldest in the pack," he said. "But you are not alpha," said Moonbin. "No," said Youngjo. "That place was rightfully earned," he said. "I see," said Moonbin.

"So, what kind of attention did we grab for you three to show up?" Asked Eunwoo as he shifted slightly in his chair. "Marked humans aren't supposed to be alive," said Gunhak. "But yours seems to be doing just fine," he said. "Dami isn't some kind of object," growled Rocky as Moonbin leaned forward, his attention fully on Gunhak. "What is that supposed to mean?" Moonbin asked, resting his elbows on the table as he intertwined his fingers together in a thinking pose with his chin resting on his thumbs. Tension was rising between Gunhak and Moonbin, a battle of wills as one might say. Eunwoo and Rocky were ready to spring into action on command, their bodies tense.

Gunhak was the first to move, letting go of his coffee cup as he left it on the table. He leaned back, crossing his arms in an act of defiance as he studied Moonbin with a steady gaze. Youngjo and Xion were the only ones that were relaxed, though Moonbin suspected that they would spring into action at the slightest hint of hostility from Gunhak.

The tension was broken by the door chiming as someone entered the coffee shop. Chanwoo was forced to turn his attention away from the table as he turned to the new person. "Hello," he said in German before saying it in English. "Hello," the new person said in English as he kept his posture poised in the "alpha stance" as Moonbin called it. "What can I get you?" Asked Chanwoo. "I was told to ask for the usual," said the new person. "Name?" Asked Chanwoo. "Wooseok," said Wooseok as he went to pay for it. Chanwoo processed the order and handed back the change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said, nodding towards Moonbin's table. Wooseok nodded, turning and walking over to the table.

"What brings you here Wooshin?" Asked Gunhak. "I knew I should've come myself," said Wooseok as he brought up a chair and sat down, resting his hands on his knees. "Leave it to you to cause such a tense atmosphere," he said, earning a snort from Gunhak as he relaxed slightly, unfolding his arms as he shook his head.

"Another 'shifter?" Asked Moonbin as he turned to Wooseok. "I'm their employer," said Wooseok as he shrugged. "What brings you to Berlin?" Asked Moonbin. "We're the team sent to take care of marked humans," said Wooseok. "If they've been captured again," he added. "No harm will come upon your human, you have my reassurance," he said.

"He called you Wooshin," said Eunwoo as he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "That's the name I go by when dealing with clients and employees," said Wooseok as he shrugged. "You don't seem too concerned about it," he remarked. "I've heard of the name," said Eunwoo. "My reputation exceeds me then," said Wooseok as he chuckled slightly. "I'm nothing special," he said.