Chapter 5

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

The talk never happened, at least, the day after the visit to Grunewald. Eunwoo and Rocky were suddenly into doing missions together, Eunwoo as a medic and Rocky as a tracker and fighter. Dami was worried for them, but Moonbin had assured her that they would be fine. Eunwoo and Rocky worked the best together and were often sent out together.

Jinhwan had become Dami's older brother figure in her life somehow during everything, and somewhere in the back of Dami's mind she knew that Eunwoo and Rocky were fine with it. "Werewolves have a different way of finding their mates," explained Jinhwan when Dami asked him. "And if you were my mate you'd know," he said. "How so?" Asked Dami. "Take the time to observe how my brothers act around their mates," said Jinhwan. "I think you'll notice it then," he said.

And so Dami set out to observe how things went between Chanwoo and Moonbin, along with Yunhyeong and Hongseok, when Hongseok was home. Yunhyeong had explained that Hongseok worked at the hospital, the same one that Eunwoo was working at, and wouldn't be home for days at a time. It gave the others a reassurance, having a non hunter home. Berlin was neutral grounds in Europe, since everyone that was a hunter stopped by to catch up on news before moving on. Everyone respected that, and also expected a few non hunters working.

 

~



Dami was working with Ricky, Chanwoo, Jeongwoo, and Sanha today, delivering drinks with Sanha to help her anxiety. She was constantly reminded that it was safe here, and if there was any chance that a vampire was to walk in with the intent to kill the humans in the coffee shop that they had a death wish.

The door chimed and in walked two people Dami hadn't seen before. "Chan! Renjun, hello," said Chanwoo. "Hello Chanwoo," said Chan as he nodded. "Hello," said Renjun. "Need a spot to stay for a few weeks?" Asked Chanwoo. "Yeah," said Renjun. "Good, Sanha needs a vacation," said Chanwoo. "Anyway," he said. "The usual?" He asked. "Sure," said Chan as he went to pay for it. "It'll be a bit," said Chanwoo after he processed the order and handed the receipt back to Chan. "Sure," said Chan before he went to sit down with Renjun.

Sanha's face lit up at the prospect of a vacation, since it had been a few months since he had talked to Yuto, the both of them being busy. Yuto had an information network to run and Sanha had missions along with having to work at the coffee shop when everyone else was out.

Dami wasn't sure what everyone was talking about since everyone was speaking English but she figured that it had something to do with the new people.

"Also," said Chan as he got up and walked over to the counter. "You do realize that the human you have working is marked right?" He asked, causing Chanwoo to freeze. "Marked?" He asked. "She was rescued from a blood den right?" Asked Chan. "Yes," said Chanwoo. "We've noticed a lot more humans that were previously in blood dens back in more of them," said Chan.

"How do you know if someone is marked?" Asked Chanwoo. "It's not as obvious to non vampires," said Chan. "But to vampires their blood smells tainted," he said. "I've learned to look for the signs," he said. "We'd have to have a vampire come in to be sure, though I'm not sure who would come into a coffee shop that reeks of 'shifters and werewolves but," he said, shrugging. "I think I see who can come over," said Chanwoo. "I'll have to ask Moonbin when he gets back," he said.

And that's how Dami met Renjun, who was awkward around her because he spoke no German and Dami spoke very little English. They made it work, when Yunhyeong was around to make sure things went fine anyway. Chanwoo had been called out shortly after Chan came to visit and Sanha finally got his much needed vacation.

 

~



It would be a few months before Moonbin returned, and Dami was feeling the longing that everyone was saying that mates got when away from each other for too long. She was afraid, of asking where Eunwoo and Rocky were. Those that were still around, Moonbin, Donghyuk, Sanha and Hongseok, knew that she must be feeling the longing by now, and they could do nothing but try to reassure her that Eunwoo and Rocky were fine.

Dami was working at the coffee shop with Renjun, Jeongwoo, Moonbin and Ricky, making drinks with Jeongwoo while Moonbin manned the register and Renjun and Ricky delivered drinks to their tables.

"Guys," said Moonbin. "We're going to have a... Special visitor today," he said, catching everyone's attention. "I wanted to see if this so called marking is true, though I wouldn't doubt it is," he said. "I just spent months in the field helping out Taeyong and Doyoung," he said. Everyone nodded.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Moonbin asked Dami. "I'm sure," said Dami. "You guys will be here the whole time right?" She asked. "Yes," said Moonbin. "Nothing will happen to you on our watch," he said. "And, I trust these vampires enough for them to not do anything anyway," he added. "Okay," said Dami.

"Who did you ask to come over?" Asked Ricky. "Chani and Sungyeol," said Moonbin. "Chani's a friend from my human days," he explained. "So I trust him, plus having another vampire's opinion would help determine it," he said.

Right on cue the door chimed and in walked Chani and Sungyeol, walking up to the counter. "Hey you two, long time no see," Moonbin said in English. "Hey there," said Chani. Sungyeol nodded in greeting, putting his hands in his pockets. "What did you need?" Asked Chani. "Ah, well we might have a marked human," said Moonbin. Chani's expression turned serious as he tilted his head slightly. "This is serious then," he said. Moonbin nodded.

"I'll have the usual," said Chani, going to pay for the drinks. Moonbin rung up the order, processing it and handing back the change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. Chani nodded and went to sit down with Sungyeol.

Dami and Moonbin walked over after a few minutes and sat in front of them, with Moonbin placing down their drinks. "What's this about a marked human?" Asked Chani as he studied Dami with a tilt of his head. "I think she might be marked, but the only way we can be sure is through you, I don't trust other vampires," said Moonbin.

Chani leaned forward in his chair, crossing his arms on the table and humming in response. "Well, this place reeks of 'shifters," he said. "And werewolves," he added. "So her scent is masked pretty well," he said. "But," he said, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. Moonbin tilted his head to the side as he waited for Chani's response.

"She is marked," said Chani as he opened his eyes, his eyes now pitch black as he tensed. Sungyeol put a hand on his shoulder and Chani moved away from the table with his arms still crossed, leaning back against the chair. "The scent of her blood is floral, really sweet to me," said Chani as he closed his eyes again, willing the instincts to go down. Moonbin hummed, nodding slightly. Dami was shaking slightly in her chair, being scared of those eyes.

"But underneath it all," said Chani as he opened his eyes again, his eyes back to their normal color. "There is something else there, possibly another vampire's venom coursing through her," he said. "Not enough to turn her, but enough to tell other vampires that she belongs to someone else," he said.

"What do you smell Sungyeol?" Asked Moonbin. "The same," said Sungyeol as he shrugged. "Though it's less floral smelling to me," he said. "More due to my hunting humans before I'm assuming but," he said, shrugging. "It's different for human drinking vampires," said Moonbin. "I believe Mashiho said that the smell is more muted since he's used to it," he said. "Right," said Sungyeol.

"What do you think we should do?" Asked Moonbin. "Turn her," said Chani. "It's the only way to keep vampires from coming after her," he said. "Eunwoo and Rocky won't allow that," said Moonbin. "She's their mate isn't she?" Asked Chani. "Yes," said Moonbin. Chani let out a deep sigh. "Well that certainly changes things," he said.