Chapter 1

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

Rocky walked into the coffee shop after finally returning home from missions, keeping his hands in his pockets. "Damn, what happened to your eye?" Asked Chanwoo as he spotted Rocky. "I'm fine," said Rocky as he scratched the back of his head. "First Eunwoo now you? Are you sure you're fine out there?" Asked Chanwoo. Rocky blinked. "He got back from missions?" He asked. "About a week ago," said Chanwoo. "I see," said Rocky.

"Anyway, the usual?" Asked Chanwoo. "Sure," said Rocky as he went to pay for it. Chanwoo processed the order before handing back the card, nodding. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. Rocky nodded and went to sit down, playing a game on his phone.

"Having fun?" Asked Moonbin as he walked over with Rocky's drink. "Mm," said Rocky as he took the drink and took a sip. "How was missions?" Asked Moonbin. "Exhausting," said Rocky as he looked up at Moonbin. "I can tell," said Moonbin. "Where'd you get the scar?" He asked. "Probably the same as what happened with Eunwoo," said Rocky. "I'm not blind so," he said, shrugging. "I know I shouldn't have to say this but be careful yeah?" Asked Moonbin. Rocky hummed. "I know, I'm getting sloppy," he said. "I haven't been home for a decent amount of time in months, can you blame me?" He asked. "No," said Moonbin. "But be careful," he said.

"Mashiho have any small jobs for me?" Asked Rocky. "One," said Moonbin as he passed over a piece of paper. "A blood den here?" Asked Rocky as he looked over the paper. "It's a small one," said Moonbin. "But it's better to get rid of it before anything happens," he said. "Did this just pop up?" Asked Rocky. "Apparently yes," said Moonbin. "We haven't had time to go clear it out, no vampire hunters have stopped by recently," he said.

"When does he want it done?" Asked Rocky. "As soon as possible," said Moonbin. "Minsoo and Sanggyun are on standby if you need them," he said. "I'd need some help," mumbled Rocky. "I'll get some sleep first then talk to them," he said. "You do look like you're about to keel over from exhaustion, go get some sleep," said Moonbin. Rocky scratched the back of his head before nodding and finishing his drink before getting up. He waved to Chanwoo, Yoonbin and Sanha before leaving, heading back to the pack house to get some much needed sleep.

Rocky woke to voices later and his eyes snapped open, moving his arm around for his phone and checking the time. It was dinner time it seemed, as he moved to get up, yawning and feeling much more rested than when he got back. "Hey Rocky," said Chanwoo. "Hello," said Rocky. "Come get dinner," said Chanwoo. Rocky nodded and went to get dinner, noting that the werewolves were gone again.

"So many missions lately," he remarked. "Well, they do have the house in Philly, something about selling it or something," said Chanwoo. "I see," said Rocky. "It gives Yunhyeong and Hongseok the excuse to head back to the states anyway," Chanwoo said with a snicker, earning a snort from Rocky as he went to sit down with food.

"I'm going to take care of the blood den tonight," said Rocky. "I'll let Eunwoo and Yixing know then," said Chanwoo. "Eunwoo's working tonight?" Asked Rocky. "He hasn't been home in a few days," said Sanha. "Been pretty busy then," said Rocky. "Yeah, a lot of other blood dens were taken care of outside of Berlin, they've been swamped," said Chanwoo. "It's been Yixing and Eunwoo's job to make sure they get through and are stable enough to get back into human society," he said.

"Too bad it rarely works that way," said Rocky. "Yes, but we do what we can," said Moonbin. "Sometimes that's the only way," mumbled Rocky as he nodded.

After eating dinner Rocky called Sanggyun and Minsoo asking them to help him with this blood den, and Sanggyun and Minsoo met him outside the building.

"How's Yoonbin been doing?" Asked Sanggyun. "I don't know," said Rocky. "I haven't been home," he said. "But I assume he's doing well," he said. "I see," said Sanggyun. "He never talks about his day at work so," he said, shrugging. "Hm," said Rocky. "Let's do this then," said Minsoo as he looked at the building. "Look for humans, take out any vampire you see," said Rocky. "Let's do it," said Sanggyun. Everyone rushed into the building, taking out any vampires they saw.

"Good lord," breathed out Rocky as he spotted a room that was covered floor to ceiling in blood. "Rocky," called Sanggyun. "We have humans," he called. "Alive?" Asked Rocky. "Yes," came Minsoo's voice. Rocky ran to where they were, his eyes landing on one particular human. "We need to get them to the hospital," he said, tearing his attention from the human to face Minsoo and Sanggyun. "Let's do that," said Minsoo.

 

~



Eunwoo was quite literally almost done with his shift when Rocky rushed into the hospital with humans he had rescued from the nearby blood den. "Damn it Rocky," said Eunwoo. "Sorry," said Rocky. "But one of the humans," he said. "Which one?" Asked Eunwoo. "The youngest girl," said Rocky. "She- can you look at her?" He asked. Eunwoo blinked. "Of course," he said.

Eunwoo and Yixing went through registering the humans in as patients, noticing that Rocky was staying near to one particular human as he got around to them. "Rocky, back off a bit will you?" Asked Eunwoo. "I- sorry," mumbled Rocky as he moved away to sit nearby.

Eunwoo sighed and put on his most professional smile. "Hello," he said. "What is your name?" He asked. "D-Dami," said Dami. "You're safe now," said Eunwoo. "Nothing is going to happen here," he said. "Not without your consent anyway," he added. "Are you sure?" Asked Dami. "Yes," said Eunwoo.

"Are you a doctor?" Asked Dami. "You don't look like one," she said. "I am," said Eunwoo. "Don't worry," he said. "I know what I'm doing," he said. "Okay," mumbled Dami. "Get some rest, you need it," said Eunwoo as he patted her arm. "Thank you..." said Dami. "Dongmin, call me Dongmin," said Eunwoo as he moved away, letting one of the nurses on duty take her into a room to let her sleep.

Rocky walked over to Eunwoo, his eyes wide. "You told her your human name," he said. "I know," said Eunwoo as he turned to Rocky. "Oh god damn it," said Rocky. "Yeah..." Mumbled Eunwoo.