Part 9

Beyond The Palace Walls [Series]

Word of your visit to Jaehyun’s kingdom travelled around the land quickly. A royal messenger was sent to tell of your safety to your father, and that you would return within a week. Until then, there was much to be done. You were there when Jaehyun’s older brother was crowned future King, and you accompanied Jaehyun to many dinners and even a state ball. But that wasn’t why you requested a few more days here, and as you looked at the plain dress you wore in comparison to the ivory and lace Jane was in, you couldn’t have been happier.

Jane was nervous though. “Do you think I’ll make a good wife?”

“You’ll be the finest wife and complete Ten immensely,” you assured, placing the veil over your best friend’s head. It made you tear up at seeing her like this. So many years together had you both dreamed of getting married. Now that her time had arrived, you felt a great sense of admiration and pride. She was not only your best friend but your soul sister in this world. You knew it would be hard to leave Jane behind, but knowing you could travel and write to one another lessened your loss.

You were far too excited about Jane’s new adventure.

“What if I trip?” she asked, aghast, and looked down at her gown. “Maybe this was too elegant for you to gift me. It is you who suits these dresses, Y/N, not I.”

“Nonsense, you have done more than enough at my side all these years, this is nothing in comparison. And you do look extremely delightful. I doubt Ten will be able to keep his eyes off you.”

Jane blushed; pleased to hear she could possibly have such an effect.

And you had been right, when you took your place across from the altar as the only bridesmaid and watched as Jane came down the aisle of the small church, Ten’s mouth fell ajar and his eyes grew wide. He looked just as dashing in his suit and you watched as Jane stepped up to the altar at his side, the pair smiling for one another. You couldn’t help but peer around the couple to Jaehyun who shot you a knowing smile.

You couldn’t wait for your own wedding to occur.

Once married, Ten and Jane led everyone to their small celebration at his family home. It was full of laughter, good food and music, with Ten dancing for his newlywed who clapped in glee, admiring the moves that had drawn her into this whirlwind love in the first place.

As the night wore on and the sky filled with stars, you hugged your best friend tightly in farewell.

“Must you leave tomorrow?” she asked, tears spilling down her cheeks. You pouted lightly as you reached to wipe away the stains on Jane’s face. “I can’t imagine life without you.”

“Where will you be living a life without me?!” you exclaimed, hugging her again. “I will always be here. It’s not as if you live in another dimension now, Jane. There will be chances for us to travel to one another, and I will write to you often.”

“You promise?”

You nodded and handed her a sealed envelope. “See, I’ve already started. Don’t read it until I’m gone, okay? You need to spend this night with your husband in full matrimony. Do not worry about me.”

“I’ll make sure Jane smiles every day for the rest of her life so there is no reason to worry at all,” Ten mentioned, coming over to wrap an arm around you both. He then glanced at you, smiling. “It’s been an adventure.”

“And your new one is only just about to start,” you chimed along, cheekily reaching for Jane’s stomach. She swatted you away as Ten roared with laughter, giving you another hug before stepping back to his wife’s side.

“I’ll miss you forever!” Jane called, and you nodded, feeling the tears you had so far successfully held within threaten to spill out.

“I’ll love you forevermore!” you replied, waving at them both until you were inside the carriage that would take you, Taeyong and Jaehyun back to the palace. Lucas had already gone home with the promise of meeting you first thing in the morning before you left.

“Well, who would have thought it’d be Ten to make it to the altar first?” Taeyong mentioned with a smirk and Jaehyun chuckled, pulling you closer to his side. You nestled in, feeling strangely tired from the day. You decided your emotions from seeing Jane marry and then from leaving her were the cause.

“I half expected it to be you, hyung.”

“Me?” Taeyong echoed, his eyes wide. “Where would I have time to meet someone?”

“You will,” you mentioned with a yawn as Jaehyun ran gentle circles over your lower arm with his finger. You looked over at your friend and smiled. “You will finally find a place to settle in as well.”

“Just because I said I would follow you both back to your kingdom, doesn’t mean I plan to live the rest of my life serving either of you,” the eldest shot back, though the expression in his gaze was earnest for the image you had painted.

You smiled as you closed your eyes, you could feel everyone’s happily ever after was enclosing on each one of you.

 

 

It had been hard to say goodbye to Lucas even though you knew he had made plans to travel to your kingdom in the fall after the annual harvest. His hugs were still as warm as ever and you felt them linger as the carriage took you away from now three people you had become accustomed to having in your daily life.

It was strange, you were excited for everyone being on their own adventures now, yet you were also saddened to know everyone would be apart to do so. The travels and the laughter you had shared as a team would remain as your fondest memories.

“You’re not alone,” Jaehyun murmured into your ear as he watched you wipe away your tears as your thoughts grew heavy. You looked up at him to see him smile. “Everything is happening as it should. Ten and Jane will be happy together raising their future children in the countryside as they plan to, and Lucas will remain a traveller for life. He’ll come see us soon.”

“Plus you have us,” Taeyong pointed out as you nodded through your tears.

“The better half,” Jaehyun teased and you giggled.

The next few hours of the trip were much lighter. You conversed over topics that held little or deep meaning and you enjoyed the company of the men who often finished off each other’s sentences and spoke to one another in an endless teasing, brotherly way. You were grateful Taeyong had decided to come home with you.

You were thinking of what to say to your Father when you arrived back home. Although you held a strong resolve to live your life how you wished to now, you didn’t want to hurt him either. Watching Jaehyun’s final interactions with his own parents made you realise just how hurtful you had been to your own. How much they would have worried after you all this time, for your safety and your return home. You realised just how selfish you had been for your escape from the captivity of the palace. You knew from now on you would tell them everything so they would never have to worry about you again.

You were so deep in your thoughts that when you arrived at your stop for the night, you blinked up in confusion. “Why are we getting off?”

“So the horses can rest,” Taeyong replied, holding out his hand to you. He smirked as your stomach gurgled in hunger. “And to feed a little bird it appears.”

“Even you call me this now?” you questioned with a smile all the same. Taeyong chuckled.

“It’s because you are like a little bird, Y/N,” Jaehyun confirmed, coming between you and slinging his arms around you both. He nudged you with his hip. “Who else would fly away from home so hastily than a bird when it finds its wings? Even I didn’t leave without permission.”

You gaped at him as Taeyong laughed. “He’s got a point.”

“I’m already worried about how to approach my parents, there’s no need for you both to gang up on me about this!” you cried, slipping out of Jaehyun’s grip and heading into the pub with bigger steps whilst you ignored their good-humoured chuckling behind you. It wasn’t that you were mad; they were after all, only pointing out the truth.

You signalled to the bartender for a drink and Jaehyun quickly grabbed it before you put it up to your lips. You whined at him. “Just one!”

“I remember you last time you drank one, your buttons on your dress were loosened and you were reckless. No liquid courage for you.”

“Says the man who got completely drunk and was without clothing!”

Jaehyun coughed as he gulped down the drink and looked at you, his cheeks reddening. You smirked. It was always satisfying to get him back for his statements.

The night wore on like most when you stayed over and you retired to your bedroom alone, hugging at yourself until you heard a soft knock at the door in the middle of the night. You got up hesitantly and opened it, smiling when a familiar silhouette stepped out of the bright light and into your darkened room. “I didn’t think you’d be able to sleep alone.”

“How sinful, sharing a bed with you again before we’re married,” you teased as you took Jaehyun by the hand all the same, leading him to your bed.

“You told me I needed to take responsibility and I am,” he mentioned with a soft laugh, kissing the side of your head once you were both settled under the blankets. Although you were now relaxed enough to sleep within Jaehyun’s comfort, you wondered if this would be your last time sharing the bed for some time.

Jane married with ease but for you, especially since you will become the owner of the throne in the future, there was protocol and many other steps that would need to be met first. Not to mention, Jaehyun’s family would need to travel for the event. You sighed heavily.

“Let’s enjoy this as much as we can,” he murmured, as if he had access to all your inner thoughts. You gave him a look and he chuckled. “You’re thinking about how we’ll be back to separate beds like we were at my home, right?”

“How do you know?”

“Because I seem to know so much about you already,” he said, leaving another kiss on your forehead. He sighed happily. “I can’t wait to get to know everything else along the way.”

 

 

The next day was full of further conversation as you travelled home. You were close now and would make it to the castle by the following morning. You found it amazing that something that had taken you so long by foot could easily be shortened by carriage and yet you knew you would prefer travelling and exploring at a slower pace. You only ever saw the countryside passing by through the window whenever you looked, and there was nothing remarkable to look out at for too long. It was different going through the forest route you had taken; within the greenery was magic the road could just not compare with.

And, obstacles on foot seemed much easier to deal with than by horse and carriage too. You felt Jaehyun’s arm quickly shoot out to stop you falling off your seat with the heavy jolt within the carriage, your eyes wide in fright as the carriage jerked to a standstill.

“Are you both alright?” Taeyong asked once everything settled within the cabin and you nodded, gripping onto Jaehyun’s arm as your heart raced in your chest. You still felt like you were about to fall.

The eldest got out to assess the damage, and from what you could tell by the door that was left open, there was a distinctive lean to the ground now. You surveyed it for a moment, perplexed. “Does the land seem on a slant?”

“I think the wheel has broken,” Jaehyun muttered as he moved towards the exit, gently helping you down once he was out. He was right; the axle on one of the large wheels was snapped.

The driver was a mess. “I didn’t see the hole until we were right on it. I’m so sorry Your Highnesses; we will have to send people to the next township over for help. It’s going to cause quite the delay in our schedule.”

You eyed the two horses now agitatedly being set free from their harnesses. Jaehyun followed your gaze and then nodded at Taeyong. The eldest smiled and turned to the driver. “Would you allow us the use of your horses? Are they rideable?”

“Yes, they are used for all sorts of jobs but surely you would want the princess to travel in comfort!”

You grinned and reached to hold the man’s hand dearly. “I think I would enjoy this ride much more. Do not worry; it won’t be my first time travelling like this.”

Jaehyun had already freed the grey horse from the unnecessary straps and shortened off the reins. Although there was no saddle, he leapt up with ease, reaching down for you as Taeyong helped you up into Jaehyun’s arms. You smiled as you thought back to the race to the beach and how exciting it had been. Gripping onto Jaehyun, you felt him steady the horse underneath who was already eager to run. Taeyong was soon upon his own mount and with a farewell to the driver; you set off on a faster paced ride.

The travel time was decreasing quickly as the horses galloped along, villages you had once visited now whizzing by as you rode past them. Soon you saw Marigold’s house in the distance and tugged on Jaehyun’s arm. He slowed the horse down and travelled over the grassy field towards the cottage. Taeyong soon came to a halt beside you both.

The noise of the horses thundering towards her brought the elder out of her home and you hurried down so you could greet Marigold.

“Well, if it isn’t the missing Princess,” she crooned, clasping your hands within her weathered ones. She squeezed them gently. “What have you learned of the world?”

“I saw the ocean,” you breathed and she chuckled happily, gesturing for you to tell her more. “I saw many plants and living creatures I had not once seen out of a book. I drank beer and grew intoxicated in one night, and I slept under the stars so much that I miss them whenever I’m inside. I even went as far as the neighbouring kingdom.”

“And did you secure yourself a prince?” she asked with a knowing smile as Jaehyun came up beside you both.

He grinned. “I don’t know quite how you did it, Marigold. You told us work would be more prosperous in the neighbouring village and whilst we never made nearly as much money, I think we definitely gained in many ways.”

“And now you must return home,” she agreed, patting at your hand. She smiled. “Your Father will be anxious, come, I will give you some herbal tea to return home with.”

You followed her inside, admiring the home that seemed to twist and turn with Marigold. She went to her kitchen for the tea and started sifting through various homemade pouches.

“Is what Jaehyun said true? You sent him to the village?”

She nodded distantly. “Of course dear, you needed to break free.”

“But, I never knew he was there,” you continued, frowning lightly. “Do you do more than treat bodies?”

Marigold let out a cry of success and plucked out what she was searching for. She turned around and faced you, nodding softly. “I do many things, my child. I tend to hearts and broken souls too. Is that not a part of your body as well?”

“Yes, but surely you couldn’t have known the timing to have…” you trailed off them, her eyes showing a great deal more than just what she saw in front of her. You smiled, understanding now. “Thank you for sending him to me.”

“Ah, my child I merely helped him wander in at the right time. He found you on his own accord, much like you found him. I told you he would be your saviour. Now, don’t let your Father fret any longer!”

“I will come and visit you again,” you assured as she led you back out to the men who were waiting.

Marigold nodded and watched as you got back up on the horse within Jaehyun’s arms. “You will visit again, and I will look forward to every chance I get to watch you all grow.”

As you rode away from the cottage, you were certain Marigold was a witch instead of a healer. But you didn’t mind, she had led you to your big escape. And now as the horses carried you back to the palace, you felt as if you had come full circle in your journey.

It was time to go home.