Part 6

Beyond The Palace Walls [Series]

The steady rhythm of the horse’s movement had settled some of your anxiety as it thundered along the path ahead. Although you had a lot to consider during the ride, you had to admit you were impressed with Jaehyun’s skills at knowing how to understand and encourage the majestic animal. You had often gone to the royal stables until you fell off one summer and your father put an end to your riding lessons. You enjoyed the rush of being back up in the saddle, in the adept care of Jaehyun as he and the bay horse navigated the twists and turns of the forest. It felt like the trees would go on forever, the greenery encasing you both in an endless world of fauna. After some time, the dense forest started to change. You noticed the trees were not as grouped together, and light filtered in, changing the deep hues of green into lighter shades, some sun-bleached with the way the light directly hit them. It was then that you smelt the difference in the air as well. It had a distinct saltiness that you were certain you could taste whenever you opened your mouth in wonder. It made you scrunch up your face and Jaehyun chuckled for the first time since you departed from the others. It was the first sign of anything towards you; the only sounds coming from the man that firmly kept you in place were to encourage the horse forward until now. His chuckle comforted you and you smiled, relaxing further into his embrace. You had missed him even though he had been behind you this whole time.

“It’s not far now.”

The track twisted once more and you gasped, seeing the vast blue up ahead. Your eyes soaked it in as it grew closer, and soon the trees disappeared as the ground turned to sand. Jaehyun slowed the horse down to a trot and then a walk, the three of you advancing towards the water at a leisured pace. Despite the race to get here, the calmness of your arrival made you forget about everything that had happened today. The waves rolled into the beachfront and then back out again, and you watched as some crashed against the others back further into the sea, yet as they reached the sandy shore it was gentler. The ocean was everything you had imagined it to be and more.

The horse halted and you glanced back at Jaehyun, his focus solely on yours. He smiled. “You’re finally here.”

“It’s beautiful,” you breathed and Jaehyun nodded, letting go of the arm he held around your waist. You realised then how tense your body felt and you glanced down at the ground, noticing Jaehyun shift his foot out of the stirrup at the same time. With help from him and the stirrup, you made it down onto the ground and wobbled a little when it moved under you. You shot Jaehyun a grin and then stepped forward. It wasn’t the kind of sand you had ever experienced before. They were firmer, filled with fine gravel. This was soft and you sunk a little into it, watching as the grainy coloured beads encased your steps. It was delightful.

Jaehyun soon dismounted and led the horse to a nearby piece of driftwood, tethering it there before he came back to your side and grabbed your hand. You looked up at him expectantly.

“You need to take off your shoes for this,” he encouraged, allowing you to use him to balance on as you did so. Once his own boots were off, you set off towards the water, surprised when the damp sand changed from what you had been feeling run through your toes. This sand stuck to you as you walked along, and soon the water was right ahead of you. It felt childish, but you glanced up at Jaehyun to gauge his reaction. Would the sea be safe to step into? You had watched it roll in and out over the sand just ahead. Would you float out with it if you stepped in? Part of you wanted to, just so you could feel as free as the water was. You were reminded of Taeyong’s talk the other day about water, and how it moved around its obstacles. You decided, along with Jaehyun’s encouraging nod, that it would be safe to step forward.

Gripping onto his hand you edged forward, placing only the tip of your toes in. You gasped, feeling the gentle flow of the water. Soon, your whole foot was down, and you moved forward a few more steps after hiking up your skirt. A giggle left you as you jumped over a wave rolling in. Jaehyun’s hand left yours as you continued to play, the man watching you from his spot in the water near you, laughing at how innocent your play was. The water’s temperature was refreshing and you enjoyed the chill of it against your legs the longer you splashed around.

And then you got water into your mouth by accident, spluttering with how strong it tasted. Jaehyun genuinely laughed at you and you pouted, splashing water at him and listened to him gasp. You laughed heartily.

“Did you just splash me?” he asked, brushing the water off of his clothes. You smirked and threw another handful of water his way. Jaehyun groaned before skimming a bunch back at you. Your shrieks were noisy and your laughter was louder. You hadn’t played like this before in your life. You had never been allowed in water for long in case you drowned, and the one time Jane had splashed you in the bathtub as children, she was deeply scolded and you never shared again. You were transported to a place where your lost childhood was discovered, playing with Jaehyun until you were exhausted and soaking wet.

As you sat down on the sand in the sun to dry off, you started to wonder of the others. Were they okay? The chase for you both had clearly been led away from here, or else the guards would have stumbled across you both by now. You felt safe on this section of the beach but you worried if the others were. You were desperate to see them when dusk arrived. You wanted to share this magical environment with Jane, to hear her exclamations of such a beautiful place on Earth.

You missed Jane terribly.

“They’ll be okay.” Glancing over at Jaehyun then, he smiled gently and took your hand in his. “They promised they would come here. I believe they will.”

“Shouldn’t they be here by now though?” you asked hesitantly, leaning into his side. Jaehyun sighed. “What if-”

“I don’t think they would want you to worry, little bird.”

You smiled. “I half expected you to call me Princess then. I don’t know why.”

“I thought we agreed on little bird?”

“I feel like a lot has changed,” you admitted softly and Jaehyun didn’t respond. You looked over at his eyes, trying to decipher the expression within his gaze. His jaw was tight, and you reached over to touch him, gently caressing his cheek. “This beach feels like an escape from everything that’s happening.”

“Our own little world,” he agreed with a smile, turning to kiss your hand lightly before grabbing it in his spare hand. You sat for some time like that, feeling the warmth of both his hands around yours and watching the sun leave the sky altogether as the first twinkling stars appeared above. In any other situation, this moment would be the best time to kiss Jaehyun. To get wrapped up in your feelings that you now carried deep within your heart and to utter magical words that you hoped were caught on a shooting star.

But it was growing colder, darker. You couldn’t forget about Jane and the others no matter how much you tried. Even with his warmth, Jaehyun couldn’t keep you from shivering and soon you grew panicked. Any sound that happened around you made you flinch and you were on edge, no longer enjoying the beach.

“Should we search for them?” you asked and Jaehyun shook his head, his eyes wandering the place you were in. There wasn’t a soul in sight apart from you both and the horse he had since tethered near a patch of grass. But his eyes caught something and he let go of one of your hands, getting you both up before pointing.

“Let’s set up camp there. I can’t let you catch a cold with all your shivering.”

There was a cove nearby that blocked out some of the wind, and you helped Jaehyun gather bits of driftwood into a pile near the entrance of it. He set to work at lighting the fire, satisfied when it took. You resumed your seated position again, Jaehyun soon joining you when he was certain the fire would continue growing.

“Tell me something about you,” you asked, resting your head on your knees as you brought them up against yourself. You realised you didn’t know that much about Jaehyun yet. You knew of his character and his love for his friends, but that was it. You craved more knowledge; you wanted to know everything about the man who held onto your heart.

“What do you want to know?”

“Anything.”

Jaehyun was thoughtful for a moment and then nodded as an opening. “I have two older brothers and three younger sisters.”

“That’s a big family,” you said and Jaehyun nodded again. “Are you close with them all? I’m an only child so I don’t have any understanding of what it’s like to have siblings.”

“Mine… they live for themselves,” he slowly answered, turning somewhat broody. Had you asked the wrong question? You watched as he internalised over his memories perhaps, and then he looked at you. “My older brothers disliked me because like you, my Father favoured me.”

“He didn’t keep you locked up in a castle though,” you pointed out but instead of laughing as you expected, Jaehyun shrugged.

“It felt suffocating regardless.”

“I see.”

“My sisters didn’t really care for me because I was always off getting training of some sort.” Jaehyun stopped there, rocking in his thoughts for a moment. You bit your lip, wincing at your suggestion to ask about his life. Despite his hesitance, he seemed to want to tell you and you waited until he spoke again. “Eventually, I chose to leave which didn’t go down well with my Father.”

“Is that when you met Taeyong?”

He finally smiled and shook his head. “I’ve known him for many years, he helped me leave.”

“And Ten, Lucas?”

“I knew them as well,” he told you, his smile growing. “They were the only people I felt who cared to know the real me. They weren’t looking for something out of me other than friendship. It’s been, wow, three years now since I left.”

“Why are you returning?” The question felt greedy to you. Logically, if he was happier away from home, you wanted Jaehyun to continue on that path. But there was a personal aspect to the question. You didn’t want him to return. It would mean that when you finally went home yourself, he would be in an entirely different kingdom. You didn’t like that. You didn’t want any further distance between you than the one you held now.

“My Father is ill,” he started and your eyes widened. “I thought I would see him before I can’t.”

“Oh my, Jaehyun I’m so sorry for-”

“I’m not,” he cut in, smiling again. He took your hand in his and smiled. “I’m glad I met you. If it wasn’t for you, I’d be returning home and taking up the role I don’t want to.”

“What role is that?”

Jaehyun paused, his eyes unsure. And then he frowned, tilting his head to the side. He was up in an instant. “Stay here.”

You bit back your protest, watching him head out silently to check if you were still safe here. When he returned, he wasn’t alone.

“Jane!” you cried, leaping up and running to your best friend’s side who cried in relief upon seeing you. Her tears mixed in with your own as you clung to one another.

“I thought I would never see you again!”

“Nonsense, you know you can never get rid of me that easily,” you remarked, smiling widely at your friend. You glanced over at the others. Ten winked as he came to Jane’s side and Lucas covered you in one of his bear-like hugs. You watched Taeyong examine Jaehyun avidly before they both relaxed and brotherly hugged.

You realised it then.

 

 

When you woke in the morning, you were nestled beside Jane sleeping peacefully. The cove was quiet apart from the sounds of steady breathing and you eased yourself up slowly, heading out onto the beachfront. You walked for some time, watching as the sun rose up in the sky. You loved this part of the day the most. When you returned to the palace you would be certain to witness many sunrises there.

You gazed at the morning waves crashing into the shore with more force than they had yesterday and grew mesmerised by their beauty. Water truly was something you now held great respect for.

You noticed a person up ahead and you approached him quietly, Taeyong’s eyes shifting from the sea when he noticed you. He didn’t smile but welcomed you at his side. “Good morning.”

“Did you not sleep well?” you asked, your own eyes moving over him. He had limped in last night and you wondered what had happened to cause him to be injured. He became aware of your examination and finally smiled.

“You’re just like him.”

“In more ways than one,” you agreed, and the older man’s gaze snapped to scrutinise you. He sighed heavily in resignation.

“He wouldn’t tell you,” he mentioned and you nodded.

“He didn’t.”

“How did you figure it out then?”

You didn’t know how to answer the question at first. Now that you understood who Jaehyun was, you felt as if you knew it all along. How you had foolishly viewed him in the beginning and how lovingly Marigold had appreciated him at your side. He was your saviour, but you were starting to wonder if you would become his as well.

“I feel like the tail of the secret was exposed to me long ago, but I only caught hold of it last night.”

Taeyong smiled again. “I was harsh with him. And you, too.”

“You are someone who guides people well in life, Taeyong. I don’t see you as harsh at all.”

“I do?”

You nodded. “You helped Jaehyun escape, to live a life he dreamed of, right?”

“Being cooped up never suited him.”

“Did he escape the way I did?” you wondered and Taeyong shook his head.

“No, he told his Father the truth. That he couldn’t stand living there any longer and craved to see more of the world.” Taeyong sat down then, and you followed suit, tucking your legs up under yourself. “His Father told him he had too many responsibilities to be so reckless. Jaehyun refused to believe that his life only meant one thing. He told him to let him go and he would return one day with the knowledge of the land. Eventually, his Father agreed.”

You nodded, smiling at how admirable Jaehyun was. You now wished you had understood your yearning to leave and prepared in a better way.

“He was meant to be only gone for a year. Soon that turned into another as we helped the people of the land. Then when Lucas’ sister was kidnapped, we ended up here.”

“His sister?” you repeated and Taeyong nodded. “Where is she?”

“She married a man in the village you live above. She’s very happy there.”

“Were you happy there too?” you asked hesitantly, watching him for his reaction.

Taeyong smiled sadly. “I never let myself grow fond of a place for too long, knowing my destination is back in our kingdom.”

“I see.”

“Will you return home soon?” He turned to face you, now watching you like you had him. You heaved a deep breath.

“I should.”

“I think he is in love with you,” Taeyong mentioned softly and you couldn’t help but feel your heart flutter. “Jaehyun has risked everything for you. I wonder just how far he’ll go.”

“He is destined to sit on the throne though,” you said, finally mentioning the unspoken secret aloud. It felt good to say it, to acknowledge Jaehyun as the missing Prince from the neighbouring kingdom you had heard of at the dinner table once from your Father. You wondered if Jaehyun would feel the burden of your knowledge and wish you had remained oblivious to his own status.

Taeyong nodded sadly. “His brother wants it more than he does.”

“Then perhaps we can let him,” you mused, smiling over at Taeyong. For a moment, he was still and then a smile soon stretched over his lips to match yours.

It was your turn to save Jaehyun.