Part 2

Beyond The Palace Walls [Series]

You had travelled until morning broke and you could see the new township sprawled ahead down the other side of the slope. As the colours in the sky changed into hues of warm orange and pinks, your tired gaze renewed with the magic of the moment.

You had never seen the sunrise before.

Stopping in your tracks, you watched as the light cast upon everything in its path, changing the shapes from dark and foreboding as they had been for most of the night to bright and welcoming. A smile crossed your lips until you noticed only one person had stopped with you to enjoy the moment.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t seen the sunrise before.” You turned to look at Jaehyun and the blush on your face told him all he needed to know. His eyes widened and his expression was sincere. “Really?”

“I’m never awake to see it,” you admitted sheepishly and he shook his head before pointing to the left. You looked in the direction he was showing you and gasped. You could see far in the distance the ocean and you rocked on your heels. You had never seen large amounts of water like that except for the man-made lake on the palace grounds. You had read of the sea and you had dreamed of it. But you had never once visited it.

Standing there squinting into the distance, you hoped you weren’t imagining seeing the waves rolling into the beachfront. It was enchanting.

“Is that the ocean?” you asked and then blinked a few times as he drew in a breath.

“How sheltered has your life been? Have you never left your township before?”

You bit at your lip to refrain from telling him the truth.

It was still so very overwhelming to be on the outside of the castle. You had dreamed of this for years and last night had felt like a blur, a surreal dream that was helped with the mystic lighting and company. Despite how sore your feet were from walking all night long, you weren’t sick of the travel yet.

Conversation had been enlightening, perhaps too simple for the men you travelled with, but it was fascinating to you. As Ten discussed his hometown with you and Jane, you had many questions to ask of him. At first, he had given you a quizzical expression and you had felt shy to continue asking them. But as the night wore on, his avid explanations had kept your mind off of the shadows and odd shapes lurking within the trees.

And when he and Jane had quietened their talk down to just them two, you turned to Lucas, hoping his previous excitement would help keep you at ease. However, he had grown tired and silent, walking along with Taeyong who shot you many polite smiles but seemed as awkward as you at making conversation.

This left you in the comfortable company of Jaehyun. He didn’t talk as much as Ten did, but he did leave you feeling protected and the shadows didn’t seem to bother you as much anymore. You had instinctively moved closer to him as the night changed into early morning and he had welcomed you into his space, helping you over some of the undulating land when you felt you couldn’t make it alone.

You were grateful for him but Jaehyun’s eyes held questions of his own. And you had to avoid answering them.

He was still waiting for your response and you smiled politely, returning back onto the road and walked after the others now up ahead. Jaehyun fell into step easily at your side. “Are you really allowed to be out here?”

“Of course!” you chirped and inwardly groaned at how unconvincing you sounded. “It’s not as if I were a captured bird or anything. I don’t have any shackles to my ankles, do I?”

You emphasised the metaphor by lifting your plain skirt a little and leaned down to show you had nothing there. Of course, your waist didn’t like this action. Your waist hadn’t liked any of this and if you hadn’t of been in such a different world than usual, you would have been more aware of the intense pain your body was inflicted with. You winced with the action in surprise, almost forgetting all about the incident that had led you into the company of the four men several hours ago.

Your pain wasn’t lost on Jaehyun. “Shackles or not, you are in pain. Let’s get you to the healer, shall we? It won’t be much longer, little bird.”

You didn’t know whether you liked him calling you that. It sounded endearing coming from his lips, especially with the warm smile he had upon his face. And then you were stunned when his hand gently reached for your own, sliding it over his closest arm so you could use it to brace upon. You didn’t want to admit that the blush rising on your cheeks was from how strong he felt, and not by the smoothness of his action.

Though, you couldn’t ignore that either, really.

By the time you had reached the village entrance, only Jane and Ten remained waiting for you both. Your best friend’s eyes were concerned but she also regarded you differently when she stared at how you held onto Jaehyun’s forearm, her eyebrow hitched when you reached her side.

“Don’t look at me like that Jane, I am alright.”

“I’m glad you had help, I hadn’t noticed you fell behind,” she told you, and you knew she was sending you more of a message than that. You dismissed her curious glance and then smiled at Ten who lazily returned the gesture.

“Hyung has gone to find us a place to rest at today, Jaehyun. I suggested you and I take the ladies to the healer at the edge of town and then go on to get some food sorted. We can collect them by the time breakfast is ready, what do you think?”

“It sounds perfect,” you told him and the four of you walked with ease into the morning bustle. Although it was early, you had noticed the sun rising meant so did the people of this land, and whilst you would still be in your bed at this time, you wondered if back home it was the same. People were farming their lands, preparing for another day of hard work, and opening the doors to their businesses. The market was already in full swing as you made your way through it and if your pain wasn’t your priority, you knew you would easily get lost in this lively environment. You clung to Jane’s arm instead, hoping she would ground you and keep you from losing anyone as your eyes scanned many trinkets and foods you never knew to exist. You felt dizzy as an effect from the adventure through the market and when you made it to the quaint cottage; you were perspiring a little from your efforts.

An old woman eyed your arrival as she picked herbs from a wild looking garden in front of the cottage, her back hunched as she stood up and approached her gate. “It’s a bit early, don’t you think?”

“Marigold, we wouldn’t ask anything of you if we didn’t need your amazing abilities,” Ten oozed and the old lady chuckled, brushing a weathered hand over his cheek.

“Young man, you are trouble.”

“Only the best kind,” he agreed with a laugh of his own and winked at Jane. She blushed instantly and pressed her lips together in elation.

You knew your best friend was utterly in love at that moment.

“So we’ll just go get some breakfast organised, could you look after them?” Jaehyun asked and the older woman nodded her head a few times, gazing right at you. It felt as if she was searching for your soul and you blinked rapidly, wondering what kind of doctor she was.

“Come inside my dear, you are in much pain.”

You followed the woman into her home, marvelling over all the magic within the house. As soon as the door was closed you were surrounded by clutter, but in a way that inspired you. Countless books and journals littered the oddly designed home and bottles of various herbs and potions filled much more of the space. There was a strong smell of Rosemary and Sage as you passed a kitchen and went into a small and very plain room.

Marigold gestured to Jane and then at you. “Help her out of her clothing. I will need to see how badly she is injured.”

“You can tell she’s injured just by one look?” Jane wondered and the old lady waved her question off, appearing impatient at her stalling. Jane reached for your clothing and with a small apology of having to do such a thing; she helped you down to your undergarments.

“Those too,” she crowed and you sighed, nodding once at Jane who helped you stand in front of the woman. You felt entirely vulnerable under her examination, covering your arms shyly over your s despite her having a voluptuous pair of her own. You wondered if that was why she was so hunched and was distracted by your foolish thoughts when you cried out at a sudden prod to your ribs. The old woman made a disapproving noise. “Such a fragile little thing, why did you allow yourself to easily get hurt?”

“It was during a bustle within a bar last night,” Jane informed but the healer paid no mind, flitting away your hands as she moved closer. You gulped as her hands gently touched your skin this time around.

“You have bruised deeply.”

“How long will that take to heal completely?” you asked with fear, attempting to look at the area she examined along your side. Marigold hissed at you and you shifted back to your upright position. Closing your eyes, you tried to remain calm. “Will it be fine in a couple of hours?”

“A week in the very least, maybe two.”

“What?!” Jane cried and you could feel her fear radiating from across the room. “We don’t have a week for this to heal! We have merely a day, if that, once they find you are gone–”

“Jane,” you reproached and she silenced her frantic sentences. Opening your eyes, you pleaded with her to stop there as your mind raced.

She was right, you didn’t have a week. By now the maids would be entering your chambers to start out your new day and within an hour your disappearance would be known by everyone in the palace. By horseback, it would take less than half a day to make it to this township and you would be found, dragged back to the palace and Jane would be locked up. Perhaps the four men as well.

Your thoughts grew heavy.

“Troubled thoughts only make for a heavy heart, my dear.”

You blinked at the old woman’s statement and glanced at her, watching as a small smile tugged at her wrinkled face. “I have somewhere to be.”

“I know.”

“But I can’t return there unless I’m perfectly healed.”

“You will return when your body is stronger than ever,” Marigold agreed with a smile and then patted your forearm. “Wait here, I’ll get you something to help ease the pain and start the healing process. And perhaps a tea for your friend, she looks like she needs something to help calm her nerves.”

 

 

By the time Ten and Jaehyun arrived back at the cottage, you had been treated and were now sipping on some delicious tea that eased your mind completely. Jane had stopped pacing and even smiled happily when she saw the two of them return.

“I missed you!” she called out and Ten grinned, opening the gate to the cottage and meeting her halfway on the small path.

“Young love has blossomed but my peonies just won’t,” the old lady mentioned, chuckling to herself. “I guess they will grow when they want to.”

“Thank you for helping Marigold, how much do we owe you?” Jaehyun asked, pulling out a pouch that you only assumed held some currency worth of exchanging. You had never seen money up close before – you had never needed it before.

“Oh, Jane and I should pay for this,” you mentioned and looked for your friend, but she had disappeared off with Ten out the gate already. You huffed at her priorities and awkwardly rubbed at your neck at not having a way to keep to your word.

The healer chuckled and shook her head. “My dear, it was an honour to treat such a person. You are welcome here any time.”

“But surely, I owe you something?” you insisted and Jaehyun nodded.

Marigold clasped your hand in hers. “Princess, you owe me nothing. I feel I learned from you.”

You didn’t know how to respond. Should you laugh awkwardly and insist it was a pet name she had come up with? Or should you question what felt deeper within, the confusion over what you would have taught her? If anything, you felt you learned much about the world within her tiny cottage instead.

“You will return home,” she continued and then shook her head. “But not yet. Follow him. He will protect you until you are strong enough to not need protection.”

“I’ll do what?” Jaehyun asked incredulously, looking between you both and then laughing. “I’m returning to my homeland though and hyung-”

“Take her with you. She hasn’t seen much of this world from behind the walls that had entrapped her,” Marigold instructed and then patted your hand again. “Take her to the ocean, Jaehyun. Show her how the waves crash and roll quietly.”

“I mean,” he started and then gazed at you for a moment. His tension eased and he smiled. “You need to see the sea just once in life before returning home, right?”

You felt yourself nod even though you were in a stupor from everything being spoken right now. You wondered how Marigold held such an authority over you both when you barely knew her. Yet you knew you would follow her lessons, as if you already knew you had much to learn from them. You were certain you could somehow make it to the ocean if Jaehyun took you as well.

Even though you were certain the royal guards would be searching for you by now.

Marigold smiled. “Stick to the back roads. Don’t be seen and always travel as a group. We can’t have them finding her before she finds herself, right, Y/N?”

You hadn’t told her your name but by this point, you felt you hadn’t just been examined physically. Smiling, you nodded firmly. “I’ll make it to the ocean.”

Jaehyun sighed. “Well, we best meet with everyone else now, they’ll be wanting to plan what we do next.”

“You just wait over there,” the older woman told him and Jaehyun moved, his eyes searching yours more avidly now despite being out of hearing distance. Marigold pulled your attention back to her and you blinked at her intense gaze. “You will discover many things along the way. Embrace them, Your Highness. Don’t allow yourself to fall trap to what you already know about this world. You escaped to learn, so allow yourself to become what you must.”

Her words felt cryptic to you but you clasped her hands tightly and smiled at her. “Thank you, for everything.”

“Don’t thank me,” she mentioned and then pointed at Jaehyun who was waiting for you. “He will be your saviour. Thank him.”