Week Two: Part Three

The Project
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: i've started posting some one shots, there's a 2yeon one and a samo one. also sorry for the delay, I was trying to find the right pacing and also planning the next few chapters out.

Week Two: Part Three

"How many times do people have to tell you this court is dangerous before you start to listen?" Momo heard and turned to see Nayeon leaning against the metal fence. She was wearing one of Momo's hoodies which the younger girl knew she had done on purpose before coming to see her. "Also you should be resting. You're injured." Nayeon finished, almost scolding the younger girl as she nodded at her ankle that was heavily wrapped up.

"You didn't need to come here, Nayeon." Momo spoke simply before dribbling a little and taking a shot, landing tentatively on her ankle. Nayeon approached the basketball player and placed a firm hand on her arm, telling her to stop.

"I'd knew you'd be here and overworking yourself." Nayeon returned before taking the ball away from her.

"I got the drug test results back today." Momo started and Nayeon sighed. She knew where this was going. She placed her hand over the younger girl's smaller one and led her to a bench to sit.

"What did your coaches say?" Nayeon asked hesistantly.

"I got kicked off the school team and my club team," Momo began and Nayeon rested her head on the other girl's shoulder, "still waiting to hear from the university about my scholarship." She finished and Nayeon looked up at the younger girl before kissing her cheek softly.

"What did you parents say?" Nayeon asked and Momo just sighed.

"They were angry, mainly disappointed, but certainly angry." Momo replied.

"You made a mistake and now you have to face the consequences and I know this is a rough period for you but you'll get through this. You're whole future doesn't have to be decided by this one mistake." Nayeon spoke and Momo moved and wrapped her arm around the older girl.

"Thank you for coming tonight." Momo pulled Nayeon closer and for a second it was like they were back to where they were before and nothing had changed in their relationship. Momo had to pull away from her thoughts that told her maybe this could be the beginning of them getting back on track; it wasn't. It was Nayeon being the friend she had always been to Momo.

"You should've never taken that number from Chaeyoung." Nayeon spoke, it wasn't like she was scolding the basketball player she was just concerned and angry with Chaeyoung for getting Momo involved in this.

 

***

 

"I think you and me need to talk." Momo spoke, she had been waiting in the locker room for Chaeyoung after the basketball practice had finished, she knew the younger girl would be the last girl to leave the court.

"I don't think you're allowed to be in here, coach was pretty clear on that." The younger returned before opening her locker and throwing her jersey in before pulling on a sweatshirt to protect herself from the cool spring air.

"I won't be here long." Momo explained, now standing as Chaeyoung continued to change. She stood and made her way over to the younger girl.

"Are you going to tell me the reason why you're here?" Chaeyoung spoke now in-front of her closed locker. She faced her former captain and waited for her to respond.

"An apology would be nice. You ruined my career." Momo accused and Chaeyoung scoffed. 

"You ruined your career yourself. I never forced you to take the steroids; I just gave you the number, you didn't have to get them. That was your choice," Chaeyoung began, "I am sorry for giving you that number and if I could turn back time I wouldn't but that's all the accountability I'm going to take. I won't stand here and have you blame me for you ing your career up." Chaeyoung returned and now Mome was angry. She shoved Chaeyoung's back into the locker and held the smaller girl there.

"This is your fault, Son Chaeyoung and it's going to catch up with you. I'll make sure of it." Momo finished before releasing the smaller girl and leaving the locker room.

Chaeyoung took a second to compose herself and then decided to follow the older girl, she caught up to her fast because of Momo's injury and soon enough she was behind her and grabbing her arm and turning her so she was facing her. Momo still looked just as angry.

"You can't tell anyone about me helping you get the steroids." Chaeyoung demanded and Momo just laughed and looked past the younger girl to see if anyone was around, they weren't.

"Why not? Scared your future might be ruined?" Momo spoke, hinting at the irony of the situation and what Chaeyoung was asking her to do.

"It's different, alright? You get kicked off your teams and your scholarship will be taken away but if you tell I could get arrested, Momo." Chaeyoung warned and stepped closer to the older girl. "If you're my friend then you'll keep it to yourself." Chaeyoung spoke lowly and Momo could only shake her head at the younger girl.

"We're not friends, Chaeyoung. Not anymore. I can't forgive you for this." Momo spoke before as fast as she could given her current circumstances.

The young basketball player headed back to the locker room and needed to take her anger out and unfortunately for her, the first thing she saw was her locker. She swung and her fist connected loudly with the metal. She sat down the bench in-front of her locker and clutched at her now bleeding knuckle.

"That didn't seem very smart." Mina spoke from the entrance of the locker room. Chaeyoung looked at her for a brief moment before returning her gaze to her hand. Mina now entered the locker room fully and sat next to the younger girl.

"Momo's going to tell I helped her get the steroids." Chaeyoung spoke and all Mina could was sigh.

"She wouldn't do that, she knows what's at stake for you here. She's angry, scared even. She made a mistake and she's dealing with it right now." Mina reasoned and Chaeyoung nodded and moved her hand but winced when shew felt a shot of pain rush through it.

"You should get that looked at. I'll take you to the hospital." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung shook her head and looked down at her hand, the bleeding had stopped but now it was starting to bruise.

"It's just bruised, I don't need a doctor to tell me that." Chaeyoung countered and stood before grabbing her bag from next to her.

"Look, you're team is already without a captain, don't let them be without you as well." Mina was trying to guilt trip the basketball player into going to get checked out and it was working.

"Okay, I didn't bring my car today. Can you drive me there?" Chaeyoung asked, almost defeatedly and Mina quickly stood and made her way out of the locker room, the younger girl following closely behind.

The pair drove in comfortable silence and made it to the hospital in good time. Mina went to the desk and collected the forms that Chaeyoung needed to fill in. She passes the forms over to the girl who just lifts her right hand to show her that she couldn't write so Mina took the forms back and filled out all that she knew.

"Any allergies?" Mina asked and Chaeyoung shook her head. "Any disabilities i.e visual or hearing impairment?" Mina asked and once again Chaeyoung shook her head once again. "I'll hand this back and then we wait." Mina spoke before returning the form to the desk and sitting next to Chaeyoung once more.

"How long will it be?" Chaeyoung asked, looking down at her now completely bruised hand. 

"Hard to tell. Could be minutes, could be hours." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung rested her head on the older girl's shoulder.

 

***

 

They had been waititng for around forty-five minutes when Chaeyoung's name was called, a nurse had already seen to them and now they were waiting for a doctor to see the girl. "You don't have to wait, I can call my parents to pick me up." Chaeyoung spoke and Mina rolled her eyes and adjusted herself in the chair she was sat.

"I'll stay, I don't mind." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung sent a smile to the older girl.

"Son Chaeyoung, I'm doctor Myoui." A man said as he pushed open the curtain and entered the room, pausing for a moment and looking to his left being surprised when he saw his daughter sat in the chair. "May I take a look at your hand?" Chaeyoung nodded and moved her hand towards the doctor who took it and looked over it closely.

"I'm going to get a x-ray for this. I don't think it's broken but it might be fractured, I'll order it for you now." Doctor Myoui spoke before leaving and closing the curtain behind him.

"That your dad?" Chaeyoung asked and Mina nodded. "You didn't tell me her was an ER doctor. Intense stuff." Chaeeyoung spoke and Mina hummed.

"He said you get used to it, but there's some things he still can't talk about. It's hard here, I have a lot of respect for him for working here." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung stuck out her good hand and took Mina's before squeezing it tightly.

"He's a good man, hopefully a good doctor too." Chaeyoung spoke just as a nurse entered and took Chaeyoung for her x-ray. Mina decided to get herself some food but managed to get stopped by her father on the way.

"She seems nice. Basketball player right?" Mina's father spoke with a stupid grin on his face.

"Yeah, she's a basketball player." Mina returned, she knew exactly what was coming next.

"How'd she do it? Training accident?" Doctor Myoui asked and Mina rolled her eyes.

"She punched a metal locker in the basketball locker rooms." Mina spoke simply and her dad nodded as he looked at an x-ray on the screen. 

"So what were you doing in the basketball player's locker rooms?" Doctor Myoui questioned and once again Mina rolled her eyes. 

"I was passing by on my way out and saw her swing at it, not her smartest choice." Mina spoke and her dad smiled a little.

"So how do you know her?" He questioned and Mina really wished he wouldn't do this right now.

"We're doing a project together for psychology. The baby one." Mina spoke and her father nodded as another x-ray appeared on the screen. He moved the screen to show Mina the image.

"What does this show?" He asked and Mina looked over the image before sighing.

"She's got a fracture." Mina spoke plainly and her father nodded before leading her to where Chaeyoung was being held.

"So, you're hand is fractured. It'll take a couple of weeks at most to heal. So no training or playing until then. I'll sign you off for that and I'll also get a prescription for some pain killers to take over the two weeks, those are just if needed though. Don't take them if you don't need them and please, don't hit anymore lockers in the meantime." Doctor Myoui finishes and Chaeyoung glares at Mina before leaving, Mina follows and finally heads to the vending machine. On her way back, her dad stops her once more.

"What now?" She asks, pointing to the two drinks in her hand, one for her and one for Chaeyoung.

"She's nice. If you are dating her, or thinking about it. I won't be mad, neither will your mother. We just want you to be happy. Now get back to your girlfriend." He spoke before slightly pushing Mina in Chaeyoung's direction.

"Not my girlfriend." Mina spoke turing around once more before leaving.

"Not yet." Her dad spoke to a nearby nurse who laughed with him before handing him a piece of paper to sign.

 

***

 

Mina and Chaeyoung got back to the younger girl's house an hour later. "Thank you for today." Chaeyoung spoke, not quite wanting to leave Mina's company just yet.

"It's really no trouble. I know you would do the same. And anyway I couldn't let my robot baby's mother go to hospital by herself." Mina joked and Chaeyoung smiled at her. The more time she spent with Mina, the more she felt herself beginning to fall for the girl. "And don't worry, I'll talk to Momo as well. She won't tell anyone, I'll make sure of it. Can you promise me something though?" Mina asked, honestly Chaeyoung had forgotten why she was so angry in the first place but all of that was coming flooding back.

"Okay.." Chaeyoung spoke hesistantly.

"Look for a job, anything. Please. I know how these things go, my dad sees so many people becuase they got involved with the wrong people. I don't want you to be one of his trauma patients because you have an unhappy client." Mina spoke and Chaeyoung reached across and gripped the older girl's hand.

"I promise I won't get hurt, Mina. I'll try and get out of this. For my own sake more than anything. I'll look after myself and not hit anymore lockers either." Chaeyoung joked a little and Mina laughed before looking serious again.

"Go. Get some rest, I'll talk to Momo." She said before giving Chaeyoung's hand one last squeeze and letting the basketball get out of her car before watching her enter her house and driving away.

 

***

 

Momo was once again alone at the court going through plays and trying to ignore the pain that shot through her ankle everytime she landed.

"You know, aggrivating an injured ankle isn't the right way to go about recovery." Mina spoke as she stopped a rolling ball with her foot. Momo rolled her eyes, she could tell another lecture was about to begin.

"Did Nayeon send you? She was here last night." Momo spoke and Mina looked confused, so the older girl guessed she had come here on her own accord.

"I'm here to talk about Chaeyoung and the conversation you two had earlier." Mina spoke and Momo almost laughed at how much she sounded like her mother- certainly a lawyer's daughter.

"So Chaeyoung sent you here? She's still trying to stop me from telling about her dealings I see." Momo spoke before grabbing her water bottle and drinking from it and then throwing on the ground again.

"No. I'm here to tell you for your own sake to not tell anyone." Mina replied and Momo scoffed, she couldn't quite believe what Mina was asking of her.

"And why is this suddenly in your interest?" Momo questioned, now walking over to Mina; not to intimidate her- because nobody could intimidate Myoui Mina, but to let her know she wasn't going to back down easily.

"Because I care about Chaeyoung." Was all the answer Mina needed to give.

"You've sure changed your tune from three weeks ago when she was the most infuriating person on this earth." Momo almost mocked Mina's previous words. Mina remained calm though, the two had been friends for long enough to know that when one tried to push the other's buttons, to not take the bait.

"I was wrong about her, okay? Please, don't tell, Momo." Mina wasn't begging, pleading maybe but she knew if Momo did do something to get Chaeyoung into trouble then she would grow to regret it, that was just the sort of person Hirai Momo was.

"Why the hell not?"

"Imagine if you told and Chaeyoung got arrested and maybe even went to jail, I don't know how likely that is but just imagine. Then a few months down the line you're sat with guilt eating you up inside because one of your closes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter