SIX

The Nerd and The Assistant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I had texted Lisa to see what she was up to, as per her request, and she told me to stop into the ALOHA office sometime in the mid-afternoon so we could catch up. I couldn’t help but feel totally lightened in the heart at her suggestion, as I was eager to see her pretty face, to talk to her, to explore her mind. This totally new thing was exciting and every new part of it I could uncover felt like solving a piece of some eternal puzzle.

As I neared the ALOHA office I heard voices, Lisa’s voice clearly, and then another low voice with a slight Southern drawl. I crept up closer to the door and then realized, obviously, that this second voice was Anna Sacco. Sacco was an older woman, probably in her late 60s, small and wiry, with a somewhat unkempt bundle of short white hair atop her head. I had never spoken to her in my time in the ALOHA program, I’d only seen her in our weekly class with all the other students. Closing in on the office, I could hear Lisa and Sacco laughing together.

“I think someone’s out there,” I heard Lisa say. “Come on in, you’re not interrupting anything,” she called out to the hallway.

I slipped into view and smiled sheepishly at the two of them, giving a small wave.

“Well hello,” said Sacco. “Come in, dear.”

“Thank you,” I demurred, slinking into the ALOHA office with my eyes averted down to the floor.

“I don’t believe we’ve met,” said Sacco. “I’m Anna Sacco,” she said with a grin, ing her hand out toward me. “I’m guessing you’re part of our freshmen class.”

“Jennie Kim,” I said softly, taking Sacco’s hand. “I’m an English major.”

“That’s terrific,” said Sacco. “Welcome to college. Are you enjoying it so far?”

“It has its ups and downs,” I said, causing Sacco to laugh.

“Of course,” she said. “So it goes. Do you know Lisa?” she asked me. Lisa had a knowing grin on her face as she looked over to me.

“I do,” I said. “She’s been very helpful.”

“That’s great to hear,” said Sacco. “I’m a big fan of Lisa.”

“Thanks Professor,” said Lisa with impish delight. “I’m a big fan of Professor Sacco.”

I could tell the two of them got along really well. There was an obvious connection between them. Like they had some sort of low level understanding.

“Are you coming to Stratford?” asked Sacco with interest. “I sure hope you are as it’s an amazing trip.”

“I am,” I said. “I’m very excited for it.”

“Great,” she said. “It’s only…” said Sacco, looking over to a small calendar on Lisa’s desk. “Wow, it’s only a week away! That sure snuck up quick. Did you pay for your tickets?”

“I did, Professor,” I said calmly.

“Wonderful,” said Sacco. She looked around the office for a moment with a hint of confusion and then a lightbulb went off. Reaching down to Lisa’s desk, she took a file folder and stuffed it under her arm. “Jennie, it was great meeting you,” she said. “I’ll see you in our next ALOHA class.”

“It was nice meeting you,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter