nine

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

Soonyoung hadn't quit about Jun coming to the studio more often. He was insistent he needed 4 people for his new piece. "Get Jihoon to do it." Jun said. "No. He won't. And anyway he's not nearly as good as you." Soonyoung whispered, looking around, careful to make sure his scary little boyfriend wasn't listening. Jun sighed. He really wanted to do it. "Ok." He gave in. He didn't know how to tell Wonwoo.

He sat next to Wonwoo in biology and chased him down at the end. "Wonwoo! I need a favour! Please!" Jun begged cutely, wringing his hands together, smiling sweetly at his best friend. "What is it?" Wonwoo hated cute. Unless it was on Jun in which case he was a er. "Well. Soonyoung, I just met him but he's an amazing choreographer, and he wants me to learn a new piece. He needs 4 people and he really wants me to do it. But I'll have to go to the dance studio at lunch. Like, a lot, nearly every day." Wonwoo's stomach sank. He missed Jun enough as it was. Their Saturdays were gone. Now their lunchtimes were gone as well. But he didn't want to hold him back anymore. It wasn't fair. "It's fine." Wonwoo said as he turned and walked away.

Jun hesitated then ran after him. "Wait. I'm not done." He said, grabbing Wonwoo's arm, and turning the other boy to face him. "You can come too. No one will bug you. They won't even talk to you. You can just sit and watch." Sit and watch. Wonwoo felt hot again and before he knew what was happening the word slipped out of his mouth. "Ok."

"Really?" Jun's mouth dropped open then widened into a smile that made Wonwoo smile too. Jun grabbed the other boy in a huge hug and squeezed him tight. Wonwoo stood in the throng of students, Jun's arms around him, like a sentient island in a tumultuous sea. He closed his eyes and rested his head on Jun's shoulder as he inhaled deeply. "I've missed you." He whispered but in the noise of the school corridor he didn't think Jun even heard him. He wrapped his arms around Jun's waist and hugged him back and it was over too soon. "Meet me outside the library after next class. Ok?" Jun said and he was gone just like that.

Wonwoo stared out the window. He was an excellent student, never usually prone to distractions, especially in History class. It was one of his favourites. But the last few days had been so confusing. Was he in love with Jun? He shook his head absentmindedly and turned back to the teacher but his mind wandered again soon enough. In love. What did it mean? Sure, he wanted to be with Jun as much as he could, they could hang out all day every day and Wonwoo would never get sick of him. But it had always been that way. Wonwoo and Jun, ride or die, ever since they could remember.

But with his new found freedom, and honesty about his uality, Wonwoo's mind wandered to places he never before allowed it. Love. A hunger for the other persons touch, a desperation for their warmth beside you, a craving for their attention. It's just a little crush. Wonwoo told himself. It would pass. Before he knew it he had passed a whole lesson staring out the window thinking about Jun. The bell blasted and students jumped to attention, pushing and laughing, all happy for the welcome relief of lunchtime. Wonwoo headed for the library in anticipation. He hated people, especially new people, but the thought of an hour unashamedly watching Jun move his body had been irresistible.


Jun waited expectantly, shifting from one foot to the other, hoping Wonwoo would show up. He almost died of shock when he said he would come to the dance studio. Jun never expected it. He also never expected Wonwoo to hug him back. Wonwoo's dislike of physical contact was a long running joke between them. Jun had spent the last 13 years begging, stealing, snatching any affection Wonwoo would give up. Even just a few crumbs of affection was enough for Jun. Wonwoo was like that. He was used to it. But earlier, in the wild and noisy sea of students, Wonwoo had hugged him back and even said he missed him. Jun had heard his gentle whisper, quiet even for the quiet boy, almost intangible but undeniable. Jun knew what he heard.

He looked up to see Wonwoo rushing towards him. "Sorry am I late?" He asked. Jun just shook his head and grinned at him. "Nah. Come on!" He grabbed Wonwoo's arm, a part of him afraid the boy would back out, and led him towards the dance studio.

The door opened to reveal the usual scenario. "Hey!"
Soonyoung called loudly over the music. "Hey!" Jun pulled Wonwoo along next to him. "This is Wonwoo. That's Soonyoung and Chan and Minghao, they're dancers too, and that's Soonyoung's boyfriend Jihoon." Jun indicated each of the boys in turn and they all smiled, said hello, or waved. Except for Jihoon who barely looked up from his phone. "Hi." Wonwoo said, staring at the ground, anxiety surrounding him like a slowly gathering fog.

Jun sensed his need and grabbed him by the arm. He dragged him over to the corner and put him next to Jihoon. "Jihoon won't talk to you unless he really has something to say. He hates people too." Jun smiled at Wonwoo and the dark haired boy felt it healing his mind. He sank against the wall and felt relaxed again. He side eyed the small boy with the bright hair but the other boy just ignored him. Good. Wonwoo was happy with that.

Soonyoung quickly had the boys learning some intricate choreography as a heavy beat pounded. Wonwoo tried to relax as his own heartbeat fought in competition with the sound system. He watched Jun move his body in ways he had never imagined the other boy could. He couldn't take his eyes off Jun. His white blond hair made his visuals ethereal as he danced, his body rolling, his hips ing to the beat. Wonwoo began to sweat. He took off his jacket and took a huge gulp from his water bottle.

Jun never noticed. When he was dancing he couldn't be distracted. Nothing else existed. But Jihoon watched him out the corner of his eye. He watched Wonwoo's eyes following Jun wherever he went. He watched Wonwoo watch Jun dance, the way his attention never wavered, the way his eyes glittered and the corners of his mouth turned up ever so slightly. Jihoon knew where this was headed. He'd been that friend, that oblivious 'straight' best friend, with his best friend hopelessly in love with him. He had given Soonyoung a chance and found happiness. He hoped for Jun's sake he might be able to give Wonwoo that same chance.