six

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

Wonwoo was about to open the front door of Jun's house when it flew open. He stepped back in surprise. "You're ready for once!" Then he stared in shock. "Your hair!" Jun felt suddenly shy and smiled as he ran his hand through it. "Do you like it? Minghao did it for me Saturday night." Minghao... Oh, the Chinese kid, Wonwoo deduced. "Yeah it's cool." Wonwoo's face gave nothing away but he couldn't take his eyes off the bright white hair.

Heads turned to stare at Jun they walked into school. Wonwoo watched him walk down the hallway in his casual, self assured manner. He wished he had half Jun's confidence. He looked so good with that white blond hair. "Hey!" Wonwoo called out and as Jun turned he took a photo. "What are you doing?" Jun laughed as he wrestled Wonwoo for his phone, laughing as he held onto the other boy tightly, finally winning and grabbing the phone. Wonwoo pouted and Jun gave in and handed it back. Wonwoo's cute side was so rare but it was irresistible.

As Jun headed out the classroom at lunch he heard Minghao call to him. "Hey Jun! Come to the dance room. Please?" Jun turned towards his friend who was pouting cutely. Unlike Wonwoo, Minghao was well aware of his cuteness, and definitely not afraid to use it. Jun looked from Minghao back to Wonwoo. "Go." Wonwoo said to Jun. "I'm going to the library anyway. Then I want to call Mingyu." The sound of his name was enough. "Ok." Jun said and laughed as Minghao jumped up and down with delight. "Come on Jun!" He said happily, grabbing the older boy by the hand, leading him down the corridor. Wonwoo just watched them walk away.

Jun followed Minghao down to the school's dance studio. He opened the door to a blast of loud hip hop music and two boys giving it their all in front of the huge mirrors. One had dyed bright red hair and cute cheeks which pushed up into his sharply angled eyes. The other had a strong jawline and looked both older and younger than the other boy. Minghao and Jun waited in the doorway until they were done and then walked across the floor. "This is Jun, the guy I was telling you about, he's finally decided to come here!" Minghao dragged Jun across by the hand excitedly. "This is Soonyoung. He's a great dancer and choreographer!" Minghao indicated the red haired boy who smiled at Jun. "And this is Chan. He's our baby." The other boy shook a mop of brown hair in mock rage. "I'm not a baby." He frowned as he shook Jun's hand. "And that's Jihoon. Soonyoung's boyfriend. He might look adorable but he's a savage." Minghao pointed towards a small boy, pink haired and cute looking, with headphones on and his eyes closed. "Hi. I'm Jun. I'm glad I finally came here." Jun smiled at them all. Another song pumped out of the speakers and Jun tossed his jacket on the floor and he and Minghao joined in with their dance.

 

Wonwoo stared at Jun's retreating back with a mixture of sadness and confusion. He slung his backpack over his shoulder and headed for the roof. He broke through the door and into the bright white sunlight. As he sank to the ground against the wall he mulled over the morning. Dying Jun's hair. That explained what he saw them doing through the window. Why they were sitting so close, why Jun was shirtless, why he showered. I knew he couldn't be doing anything with that boy. Jun's not gay. Wonwoo didn't know if he was relieved or disappointed.

He fished his lunchbox out and began to eat his sandwich. He chewed slowly and sadly. It wasn't any fun up here alone. But he had told a lie, about going to the library and calling Mingyu, and now he was alone. He took his phone out and scrolled through the contacts. His finger hovered over 'Mingyu' and then retreated. Wonwoo shoved the phone and his lunch back into his backpack and stood up. He shivered, suddenly cold in the blinding sun, and walked back inside.

He made his way through hallways and corridors, silent in the confusion, alone in the swarm of bodies. He had never been to the dance studio but it was near the library so he knew where it was. He moved silently along the hallway, his feet moving unconsciously, almost instinctively. When he reached the place he heard a heavy beat and he knew. Wonwoo was torn between desire and regret, wanting to see Jun, not wanting to see a world he didn't fit in to. But he walked to the window of glass cut into the heavy wooden door and looked in.

Jun's long thin body and his bright white hair were moving to the heavy bass. His arms flailed both wildly and controlled. His feet moved intricately. His body rolled in a way that made Wonwoo feel hot all over. And when be bent backwards and kicked himself up into an acrobatic walkover his shirt flew up revealing the strong sharp line of abs cut into his stomach. Wonwoo's stomach stirred and fluttered and he chewed his bottom lip as his breath seemed out of reach.

But when the music stopped, and the other boys clapped and hollered their approval, Wonwoo felt sick. Minghao wrapped his arms around Jun and lifted him into the air as the other boys, one red haired and one dark, crowded around still clapping. Tears filled Wonwoo's eyes. This was Jun's world. A world where he could show his talents, be appreciated, he who he really was. All his life, ever since that day when two little boys stood between two yards, watching a moving truck with disinterest Jun had stood by Wonwoo. I'm holding him back from being who he truly is. Wonwoo turned and headed for the library. He had to walk away.


Jun felt himself surrounded by the approval of the other boys. They hugged him, cheered him, slapped him on the back. He even got a courteous nod and a dark stare from the grumpy looking boy who still wore his headphones on top of his pink hair. "You'll come back tomorrow?" Soonyoung asked him. "I have a new contemporary piece I'm working on and it will be better with four people." Jun really wanted to but he couldn't get Wonwoo out of his mind. Leaving him alone two lunchtimes in a row? "I'll have to let you know." Jun said as he grabbed his bad. "I've got to go. Thanks for letting me dance!" He waved over his shoulder as he left. There were still a few minutes left of lunch and he hoped to catch Wonwoo in the library.