three

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

 


By Friday Jun had enough of wondering. He had pestered Wonwoo about the identity of this boyfriend of his. He had guessed that it might be the student council president but he was wrong. He speculated that it was the astronomy club's Vice President, or the quiet kid who volunteered in the school library. Every time he guessed Wonwoo would laugh. Finally the guessing got to him. "He doesn't go to this school Jun. You don't know him."


But I will tomorrow. Jun thought as he lay flat on his bed. I wonder what he's like. He was going over to Wonwoo's to hang out with them for a while before they went out on their date. Jun imagined a sweet boy, a quiet bookish boy, with similar interests to Wonwoo. A studious boy with his future mapped out. A serious boy who did well at school and made his parents proud.


The opposite of me.


Jun sighed and put his earphones in. He pushed his bed against the wall and began to dance. He had just enough room to practice at home. Minghao had been bugging him to start joining him in the school dance studio more. He said the kids who hung out in there were cool but Jun knew Wonwoo wouldn't go. He always brushed Minghao off with a casual 'maybe next time' and Minghao always just took it with a happy smile.

He danced his hardest, he danced his frustrations out, he danced until sweat dropped from his hair onto the wooden floor. He wanted to sink onto the bed but he grabbed his towel and went straight into the shower. As he shampooed his hair he wondered if maybe he should dye it. Everyone else seemed to be doing it. Minghao always has different colours and the kids he hung out with in the dance room always looked like a jar of candies.

He wandered out of his bathroom with a towel around his waist and sat on the bed. He grabbed his phone and scrolled through his social media, forgetting he was wet from the shower, his hair dripping a wet patch onto his thick quilt.

 

Wonwoo was nervous. He was more worried about introducing his boyfriend to Jun than to anybody. Even his parents. Because ultimately he was going to grow up, move out, become independent from his parents. He didn't want to outgrow Jun the same way. He looked up from his book and out of his window and into Jun's bedroom. Jun had curtains that he never pulled shut.

He saw him dancing in front of the mirror and wondered idly what music he was dancing to. They really were opposites. Jun was physically confident and moved with the reserved sensuality of a dancer who knew his body well. Wonwoo was clumsy and awkward. Jun was well liked even though his best friend was a social outlier. Wonwoo wished he could live his life with the carefree and aimless joy that Jun exuded. Wonwoo needed a plan, a goal, an incentive. Wonwoo needed the validation of those in authority while Jun couldn't give a .

When Wonwoo looked up again Jun was gone. Probably to the shower. Wonwoo knew Jun's routines as well as his own. He knew Jun would come out in just his towel, get distracted by his phone, drip water all over his room before dressing. He tried to go back to his book but he couldn't concentrate. His eyes flicked from the pages to the window until he saw Jun, tall and muscular and shiny wet, clad in his towel walking around his room. Wonwoo watched him sit on his bed with his phone. He watched him laugh at something, probably a dumb meme, his hair dripping water onto his chest.

Finally as Jun got up to find some shorts Wonwoo came to his senses and looked away. I thought he would start closing the curtains once he knew about me. Wonwoo knew he shouldn't be watching him but he couldn't help it. He breathed a sigh of relief when Jun got into bed and out of sight. He willed himself to sleep, he was simultaneously wishing for tomorrow to be over, while hoping it would never come at all.

 

Jun woke early and went through about eleven different outfits. Finally he decided on the first one he tried on. Black skinny jeans and an oversized black sweater and red converse. He didn't know why he cared so much. A part of him wanted this boy, this small and quiet boy he imagined, to be intimidated by him. He was Wonwoo's best friend and no boyfriend was going to replace him. He wanted to meet this boy, look him up and down, make sure he knew that if he hurt Wonwoo there would be trouble.

Finally it was 1pm. Jun headed next door, went through the back gate, and straight into the house without knocking. He could hear Wonwoo's mother in the kitchen and he called out a hello to her as he headed down the corridor to Wonwoo's bedroom.

The door was closed so he called out as he opened it. "Wow." Wonwoo looked him up and down. "You look great. Are you going out this afternoon?" Jun suddenly felt self conscious, and pulled at the hem of his sweater, not wanting Wonwoo to think he had dressed up for this. "Ah, yeah, I'm hanging out with Minghao and some other kids later." Wonwoo's smile danced across his face. He didn't smile that often which made each one precious and Jun smiled back instinctively.

Jun sat on Wonwoo's bed as they chatted. Wonwoo had the new Monsta X album playing in the background as they talked about music and school and everything else but Wonwoo's boyfriend. Finally the subject was broached by Jun. "What time is he coming?" Wonwoo looked at the clock. It said 1:53pm. "2pm." Wonwoo said as he shifted off the bed and began to fuss. Jun watched him fix his hair and spray himself with cologne. He fixed his hair again and looked in the mirror. Jun watched him with a mix of amusement and curiosity. He could see that Wonwoo really wanted to impress the guy.

There was a knock on the door and in he came. All 6ft 2' of him. All tall and smooth and dark haired and handsome. Jun stood up and swallowed thickly as he had to look up slightly to meet his eyes. "Hi." He grinned and showed off a near perfect row of shiny white teeth. His skin was the smooth rich colour of caramel and his eyes were dark and piercing. "I'm Mingyu. Nice to meet you." Jun shook his hand. He looked familiar and Jun wondered where he knew him from. Then it dropped. "You model right?" Mingyu nodded excitedly. "Yep. Sure do!" His voice was slightly to loud for the small room. Jun couldn't tell if he was nervous or just excited. "Wait. Wen Junhui? You're signed to my agency!" He laughed loudly.

"Hey Wonwoo! Your best friend here is my competition for work!" The tall boy turned suddenly and wrapped Wonwoo in a hug. "Better tell him not to steal my jobs. Or I won't have any money to spoil you!" He pouted his lips at Wonwoo who was clearly taken aback by the sudden onslaught of attention. Jun chuckled to himself. The tall boy was an absolute goofball and Wonwoo seemed uncomfortable in the suffocating embrace. Hilarious.

"Well. It was nice meeting you Mingyu. Have a nice date!" Jun smiled as he left the boys alone. As soon as he closed the bedroom door behind him and began to walk out his smile faded. Mingyu? He didn't seem like Wonwoo's type at all. He'd heard about him from gossip around the modelling agency. He had a reputation as a bit of a player. He seemed nice enough, but too loud, and kind of dumb. Not at all what Jun had expected.

As soon as he got home he searched for Minghao's number and text him to see if they could hang out. He was dressed up anyway and he didn't feel like sitting around at home by himself. Especially when Wonwoo was out having fun. Especially when he lied to Wonwoo and said that's what he was doing.