two

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

 

Two weeks had passed since Wonwoo's confession. Jun noticed Wonwoo's subtle absence. They still walked to school together, they still studied together after school, they still sent texts at night. Saturday afternoons had always been their time together. Sundays were for family, for studying or hobbies, dance practice or sleeping. Saturdays had turned from cartoons and cookies, into DVDs and popcorn, and now Netflix and coffee as the boys grew up. Sometimes they went to the mall and just walked around or saw a movie. Sometimes they would hang out in the park. But they always spent Saturdays together. Last Saturday, when Jun beckoned to Wonwoo from his bedroom window, he never expected to get a reply by text.

"I'm busy today. Sorry Jun."

Jun couldn't see the front door of Wonwoo's house from his window but he knew he went out. He could tell. He was out all afternoon and it was 11pm when he finally saw a light on in Wonwoo's room. He could see Wonwoo laying on his bed, headphones on, he probably had his eyes closed but he wasn't sleeping. His best friend could tell even from the distance between them.

Jun wondered where he had been all day. Not out with his family. They knew each other's schedules and if it was the astronomy club or tutoring Jun would know. Wonwoo had never hidden things from him. Ever. He admitted to himself that it hurt a little.


He would finally get a chance to ask Wonwoo what was going on at lunch on the roof. Jun was supposed to be paying attention to the teacher but his eyes wandered out the window. "Hey. Hey. Earth to Junhui!" He heard a familiar voice behind him. "Hey Minghao." He turned and smiled at the other Chinese boy. Minghao had only been in the country a few months and the school had charged Jun with helping him adjust. He really liked the younger boy, they were taking an advanced dance class together, and he was the only real friend Jun had besides Wonwoo. Jun was popular and well liked. He just was always happy with Wonwoo, and Wonwoo wasn't comfortable meeting new people or hanging out in groups, so it always remained the two of them. Jun liked it that way and so did Wonwoo. They didn't need anyone else.

"What are you thinking about?" Minghao asked. "You were off in another world!" Jun thought carefully before he spoke. "Not much Minghao. I just don't want things to change." Minghao looked puzzled, then changed the subject, his face brightening when he talked about his favourite subject. "Want to come to the dance room at lunch? Hoshi promised to come and help me with some things I've been working on!" His grin was infectious and Jun smiled brightly back at the exotic looking boy with dyed brown hair. "Sorry Minghao. I have to meet Wonwoo. But I'm glad you're making more friends." He ruffled the boys fluffy hair as the bell finally rang. Jun grabbed his backpack and headed for the stairwell.

His long legs took the stairs two at a time as he dashed up the three sets of stairs. He wasn't even tired when he got to the top. Dancing kept his body fit and tight, and it needed to be to get any modelling jobs, so his interests complimented each other well. He pushed open the emergency exit door and blinked in the bright sunlight that invaded his eyes. He saw him, leaning against the wall, looking at his phone with a smile playing softly across his lips.

"Hey Wonwoo!" Jun called out and bounded excitedly to his friend. He grabbed him in a half hug half wrestle and ruffled his hair. "Did you grow?" He joked as the other boy squirmed out of his grasp. "Quit it you loser." Wonwoo laughed. They sat down and got out their lunches and began to eat in companionable silence.

Jun looked sideways at his friend. He seemed uneasy. Jun chewed the last of his sandwich and swallowed. "Want to go to the mall on Saturday? There's a new game out that I want to get. We can eat lunch there and then maybe catch a movie or something?" He turned to Wonwoo who was staring down at his half eaten lunch. He watched Wonwoo wrinkle his nose and pack away his leftovers. "I'm busy Saturday." He said quietly.

Jun felt the hurt building in his chest. "That's what you said last Saturday." He shifted uncomfortably. "Wonwoo. I told you I was fine with this whole 'gay' thing. You don't have to be so weird about it." Wonwoo began to shove his lunchbox and his phone into his bag. "It's not a 'gay thing' Jun. It's who I am. It's not a phase. And I don't just think I'm gay anymore. I know I'm gay." He stood up to leave and began to walk away.

"Wait!" Jun jumped up. They had never fought before. He couldn't let him walk away. He almost tripped over his own bag as he grabbed Wonwoo's arm. "What is wrong with you. I said it's fine. I'm still your best friend whether you're gay or not." Wonwoo stared into his eyes. He realised he must have had a growth spurt as he was now eye to eye with Jun for the first time in a long time.

"I have a boyfriend. Ok? And he's taking me out Saturday." Wonwoo finally blurted out. He shuffled from one foot to the other as a cold wind whipped his dark hair away from his eyes. Jun watched him silently before speaking. "Is that where you were last Saturday?" Wonwoo nodded as he stared at the ground. Jun sighed. "Can't you just be honest with me? I told you I didn't care. Ok? But don't ing lie to me." "You're not mad?" Wonwoo asked as he turned to Jun and put his head on his shoulder. "No. Just don't bull to me." Jun put his arms around his friend and squeezed him tight until he squealed for breath. He said he didn't care but a part of him did. He didn't even know this guys name and he was already taking Wonwoo away from him.

They headed for the stairwell, arm in arm, now desperate to get out of the sudden cold. "So. This boyfriend. Is he nice to you?" Jun asked. "He better be or I'll come after him." Wonwoo smiled at Jun, his eyes filled with a heady mix of happiness and relief, as they entered the building. "Yeah. He's pretty nice. Do you want to come and meet him Saturday?"