four

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

Mingyu held the car door open for Wonwoo. "Thanks." He said without a smile. He got in the car and Mingyu ran around to the other side. As they drove off he could see Jun leaning against the front porch of his house. He was talking on the phone. Wonwoo stared wistfully at his friend as they drove away. "He didn't even complain. Two weeks in a row. We always hang out on Saturdays." Wonwoo commented quietly, almost to himself, as Mingyu eyed him cautiously. "Well what did you expect? He's trying to be supportive. He seems like a really good friend." Mingyu turned his eyes back to the road. "Yeah. He's the best." Wonwoo went back to staring out the car window as they headed towards the mall.

He didn't even care. He just made plans with that Chinese kid that hangs around him all the time. Wonwoo couldn't shake the sick feeling in his stomach. He tried to push Jun out of his mind and focus on his date. Mingyu was gorgeous. Wonwoo was more than shocked when the beautiful tall boy sat down across from him in the coffee shop next to the public library. Wonwoo had just finished tutoring and decided to finish the book he was reading with a flat white in the other hand. Mingyu just sat down and started talking to him. Wonwoo had mostly listened. When the handsome dark haired boy asked for his phone number his curiosity got the better of him. He gave it out and a few flirty texts later they had a date organised.

When Mingyu held his hand on their first date, and Wonwoo felt fluttery anticipation that he had never felt before, he knew he was gay. But as beautiful as Mingyu was, there was something missing, something lacking. Wonwoo accepted Mingyu's offer to be his first boyfriend, to help him navigate the whole range of confusing feelings, to push his limits and learn his boundaries. I need this. He thought as the car pulled up at the mall. When they got out he grabbed Mingyu's hand and squeezed tight and was rewarded with a big toothy grin from the tall boy as they headed inside.

 

 

 

Jun panicked a little as he hit dial. Pick up pick up please pick up..... He didn't want Wonwoo to know he lied to him. He breathed a sigh of relief when Minghao picked up and said that he would meet him at the mall. Jun went back inside and grabbed his wallet and headed for the bus stop. At least he didn't have to sit home and sulk all day.

Minghao was waiting for him, casually leaning on the shop window, dressed like a model as per usual. He always looked great. Minghao had a love of the latest fashion as well as constantly dying his hair.
They would love him at the agency. Jun thought as he walked towards him. Maybe I should take him in.

They sat in soft silence, comforting in the confusion, an island of solace in the busy mall. Jun sipped his coffee. Minghao had a banana milkshake. "How come you suddenly wanted to hang out?" Minghao asked. Jun always seemed too busy for him on weekends. "If I tell you you CANNOT tell anyone. Ok?" Jun wasn't sure if he should trust him but he needed to get it off his chest. "I promise." Minghao smiled. "Now spill."

Jun went through the whole story. Starting with the revelation of Wonwoo's secret, his lies and avoidance, his apparent abandonment of his childhood friend. "And to make it worse the guy is perfect looking. He's a model. He's tall and slim and dark and handsome." Jun lamented into his coffee. "Sounds like someone I know." Minghao smirked at the other boy's total lack of self awareness. "I thought his boyfriend would be this quiet nerdy guy. But no, he's gorgeous and overexcitable and kind of too loud!" Jun waved his arms wildly as he continued with his story.

Minghao's subdued chuckle turned into a full on giggle as Jun's protests about Wonwoo's boyfriend got louder and more dramatic. Finally he stopped for a breath. "So what should I do? He's stealing my best friend." Jun sank back into his chair. Minghao up the last of his milkshake before speaking. "Sounds to me like you're jealous. You sure he's the one who's gay?" Jun spat his coffee across the table. "I'm not gay. He's my best friend!" He grabbed some tissue and began to wipe up the spilled coffee as he and Minghao both laughed at the disastrous mess.

 

 

 


Wonwoo trailed Mingyu through the mall, in and out of clothes shops, while the taller boy chatted animatedly about anything and everything. People turned to see the source of the loud voice, and this combined with Mingyu's tall good looks, made Wonwoo feel small and uncomfortable. He felt like everywhere they went people were looking at them. He had dropped Mingyu's hand long ago.

The amount of bags Mingyu had accumulated rose to 6, and he had tried to push many gifts on Wonwoo, but Wonwoo refused them all. He conceded to allow Mingyu to buy him lunch but as they headed towards the food court Wonwoo was stopped dead in his tracks. There, across the other side, was his best friend having fun with someone else. He could see Jun, arms gesturing and his whole face expressive, clearly invested in his story. He watched the Chinese kid say something to him that was obviously hilarious as Jun spat his coffee all over the table. Wonwoo felt tears fill his eyes as he watched Jun and the other kid, both laughing uncontrollably, try to clean up the sprayed coffee. "I'm not hungry anymore." Wonwoo said quietly. "Can I go home now?" Mingyu looked from the scene across the mall to the sad boy standing next to him. "Sure." He smiled down at Wonwoo, threw a comforting arm around his shoulder, and escorted him to the nearest exit.

 

 

 


Jun cleaned up the coffee as he and Minghao laughed. "I swear some came out your nose." Minghao was now giggling as Jun laughed way to loud making people stare. His laughter died when he looked across the food court and saw them. Wonwoo walking along with Mingyu. Mingyu had his arm protectively around Wonwoo's shoulder, Wonwoo was leaning in towards his body, they looked like a perfect pair of boyfriends. Jun looked away quickly. "That's them. Isn't it?" Minghao asked. Jun just nodded. Tears filled his eyes and he didn't even know why. He blinked them back as he stood up. "Come on Minghao. I want to go to the game shop. Then we can go back to my house. I need you to do me a favour."