five

hearts adjacent - wonwoo x junhui

Wonwoo felt miserable and he didn't even know why. Mingyu had treated him sweetly on their date, he had held his hand and wanted to spoil him, but Wonwoo just wanted it to end. Maybe I'm not gay. He thought to himself. He threw himself on his bed and as he stared at the Monsta X poster on the wall, and his eyes traced the outline of Wonho's thighs in those leather pants, he knew he was kidding himself. I'm so gay. .

He felt bad for getting Mingyu to cut their date short but the sight of Jun laughing and having fun with someone else was too much. Jun had always been popular and well liked but he had always belonged to Wonwoo. As it grew dark outside it grew dark inside Wonwoo as well. Once the environment matched his mood sufficiently he turned the light off and put his headphones on. He always found comfort in the dark. He was just drifting off to sleep when he saw the light in the room of the house next door switch on. He sat up and moved through the dark room to the window to watch.

He saw Jun come in and throw a few bags onto the bed. Then he realised Jun wasn't alone. He watched the other boy, the exotic and fashionable Minghao, walk across the room. Wonwoo couldn't exactly see what they were doing but they seemed to be sitting very close. Too close. Confusing feelings settled in Wonwoo's mind. Jun and Minghao? Was something going on between them? It couldn't be true. If Jun was gay he would have said something to Wonwoo. Why would he keep that from me?

He sat in the darkness and watched them. They moved to the other side of the room and Wonwoo couldn't see them properly. Then when Jun came back into view his shirt was off. Wonwoo felt sick. Why? It didn't make any sense. Then they were out of view again. Wonwoo moves positions and tried to see what they were doing. He couldn't see Jun's bed from his window because it was still pushed against the wall to make room for him to dance. Were they on the bed?

Wonwoo's eyes searched the window desperately. After what seemed like forever Jun came back into view. Only now he was just in a towel with one around his hair as well. He couldn't see the Chinese kid. Wonwoo's imagination ran wild as he crawled back onto his bed. What were they doing? Why was Jun walking around half ? Curiosity won out and he got back up and went to the window. He couldn't see anything. Disappointment and relief fought inside his confused mind. Was it better to see nothing or something he didn't want to see?


The boys had purchased what they needed and rode the bus back to Jun's house together. Minghao asked him continuously if that's what he really wanted. He needed to make sure Jun was sure. He insisted he was. So Minghao agreed to dye his hair for him. Minghao applied the dye carefully, after insisting Jun took his shirt off, not wanting to ruin any of his clothing. He rinsed the first dye over the sink and reapplied another application of bleach. They joked and chatted about all sorts of things while they waited for the bleach to work. When Minghao decided it was time he sent Jun into the shower with the blue toner and shampoo and went down to wait in the living room.


Jun smiled at himself in the mirror. He dressed in some shorts and grabbed a blow dryer and blasted his hair. His previously dark mop of hair was now white. He ran a hand through it in awe. Minghao was a genius. It took two bleaches and a blue toner but it worked and it looked amazing. At least now if he went to the dance studio he would fit in with the other kids in there.

He ran downstairs to find Minghao engaged in conversation with his father about soccer, of all things, and his mother setting places at the dinner table. "Junhui! What have you done to yourself?" His mother clicked her tongue at him in mock disapproval. "Aw don't be like that." Jun laughed as he hugged his mother. "It's my rebellious phase. Plus it looks good. It might get me more work with the agency."

Minghao stayed for dinner and dessert, Jun's mother insisting, and sending him home with her phone number for his mother to call her. "What a nice boy. How long have they been in the country?" She asked Jim after Minghao left. "Not long. A couple of months." Jun replied as he stuffed leftover rice into his mouth. He was pretending to help clean up but actually not really doing much. His mother turned and handed him a cloth to dry the dishes. "Where is Wonwoo today? He hasn't been over here for a few weeks." Jun turned away momentarily and then turned back towards her. "He's got a boyfriend." Jun said quietly. "Oh. Is that a problem for you?" His mother asked as she put her hand on his shoulder. "Only that he's too busy for me now." Jun blinked and threw the cloth down. "Can I go to my room?" "Sure." She called to his already retreating back. She shook her head as he ran down the hall and slammed the door.

Jun threw himself on his bed, then got up, and went over to the window. He looked down into Wonwoo's room but all he saw was darkness. Was he in there? Was he in there with him? Was he alone? Was he awake? Why did he even care so much? He couldn't see the faint glow of Wonwoo's laptop so he thought he must be sleeping.

Jun went back to bed. He rolled over and tried to sleep but a sick feeling knotted his stomach. He closed his eyes and willed the darkness to overtake him but it was a long time coming.