Chapter Three

Sweet Like Honey

Seungwan arrived at her desk five minutes early the next morning to find a cup of black coffee waiting on it, no note and nobody in sight except for Yerim, all the way across the office, typing away at her computer. She figured it was from Joohyun, but that still did not explain why. Setting her bag down on her chair, she decided she would go and say hello to Joohyun and then ask about the coffee. She knocked on Joohyun’s office door and heard a faint, “Come in!” Pushing open the door, she saw Joohyun sitting behind her desk, a manila folder open in front of her and her cup of tea sitting at the corner of the desk. Her boss was wearing black dress pants, a pale purple button up and a black blazer.

 

    “Morning, Miss Bae.” Seungwan said, catching Joohyun’s attention. The older woman looked up at her, black hair tucked behind her ears and eyes soft.

 

    “Good morning, Seungwan.” Joohyun replied cheerily.

 

    “Did you put that coffee on my desk?” Seungwan inquired, trying to sound nonchalant.

 

    “Yes.” Joohyun answered bluntly. “Why do you ask?”

 

    “I just wondered why you did that.” Seungwan said back.

 

    “A thank you, for working hard.” Joohyun explained simply. Her personal cell phone began to ring and Seungwan glanced towards it, seeing the caller ID read Mother. “Excuse me, I have to take this.” Joohyun said, her voice sounding less cheerful than before. Seungwan nodded, leaving the office, hearing a “Hello?” From Joohyun before shutting the door. She looked to the waiting room, seeing a young girl waiting on one of the couches.

 

    Making her way over to the girl, Seungwan said, “Excuse me miss, who are you waiting to see?”

 

    “Bae Joohyun.” The girl said, her hands trembling slightly in her lap.

 

    “Did you have an appointment?” Seungwan asked, to which the girl nodded. “She’s on a phone call at the moment but when she’s free I’ll let her know you’re here.” Again, the girl only nodded. Seungwan went back to her desk, nervously fiddling with her pen and watching the client in their waiting room. She could hear Joohyun’s muffled voice through the closed door and she wondered what was going on in there. She had figured Joohyun had no relationship with her family, based on the lack of photos of them, but here she was talking on the phone with her mother. Joohyun seemed to be speaking quickly, her voice rising in volume, though Seungwan still could not make out what she was saying. And then suddenly there was no noise at all. Seungwan heard a faint crack and then silence fell again. She was nervous to knock, but she couldn’t keep the client waiting, so she mustered up her courage and went and knocked softly.

 

    “Yes?” Joohyun said in a strained voice. Seungwan pushed the door open and stepped inside, brow furrowed as she studied Joohyun. Her boss sat with her head in her hand, her phone clearly having been what made the crack sound as it seemed to have collided with the desk and fallen on the ground.

 

    “Are you okay?” Seungwan asked impulsively, immediately regretting her question, her cheeks flushing pink.

 

    “Fine.” Joohyun answered stiffly. “What do you need?”

 

    “There’s a young girl here to see you, she said she had an appointment.” Seungwan answered.

 

    “Oh.” Joohyun, looked to her planner on the desk, nodding to herself. “Send her in here, please.” Seungwan nodded and went to find the girl, escorting her into Joohyun’s office. As Seungwan was leaving and Joohyun went to close the door, she glanced back at her boss, catching her eye. They watched each other for a few moments, Joohyun’s eyes looking downcast and weary. Seungwan felt a pang in her heart, wanting to say something but not knowing what was appropriate or helpful. “Don’t worry yourself, Seungwan-ah.” Joohyun said, trying to smile reassuringly. Then the door was shut, and Seungwan was left to her own work, which was not nearly enough to take her mind off of what was going on with Joohyun.

 

    Joohyun’s meeting with the young client took up until nearly noon, and when Joohyun and the young girl exited her office Seungwan could tell her boss was in much better spirits. Joohyun escorted the client to the door, waving as she left, and then headed to the kitchen and opened the drawer that contained the menus. She walked back towards Seungwan, a smile on her lips. “How are you doing today, Seungwan-ah?”

 

    “Okay.” Seungwan said, wondering if Joohyun was truly back to her cheery self or if she was pretending for Seungwan’s sake.

 

Joohyun dropped the menu in front of her, saying, “What would you like?”

 

“I’m not letting you pay for me twice.” Seungwan said firmly. Joohyun sighed, a smile still on her lips.

 

“Well I’m getting you something regardless, so you might as well pick something you like.” She went on, something Seungwan equated to a smirk on her lips.

 

“Ugh.” Seungwan replied, pointing to her choice. Joohyun took the menu back and began making her way to Sooyoung’s office. “I’ll pay you back one day!” Seungwan called out. Joohyun said nothing in reply as she went into Sooyoung’s office. Seungwan sighed, watching the door, waiting for Joohyun to come back out. She knew she had an email containing all the information about the new client that she had to make into a new case file, but she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the door, wanting to see Joohyun again, to see her smile and know she’s okay, know she is still the same warm person she had been the day before.  The door to Sooyoung’s office swung open and both Joohyun and Sooyoung came out, laughing together about something. Sooyoung went to the kitchen and retrieved a bottle of water from the refrigerator as Joohyun went over to Yerim’s desk.

 

Opening the email and creating a new case file, Seungwan alternated between typing and glancing up at her boss. She watched Sooyoung go into Seulgi’s office while Joohyun was still speaking with Yeri. Yeri was grinning, talking animatedly and Joohyun was nodding along, listening politely. Sooyoung came back out of Seulgi’s office and handed Joohyun a sticky note with what Seungwan assumed was Seulgi’s order on it and a few bills. Seungwan flushed a little, looking away and back to her work. She hated that Joohyun was paying for her to eat, especially since she had only known the woman a day and a half. Seungwan kept typing as she heard the click clack of Joohyun’s heels on the wooden floor as she headed for the door.

 

“Are you alright, Seungwan-ah?” Joohyun’s voice startled Seungwan and she looked up quickly.

 

“Oh, um,” She stumbled a little. “Yeah, just focused.”

 

“Okay, good.” Joohyun replied, smiling, and then went out the door.

 

After everyone had finished lunch, the afternoon sped by once again. Seungwan had once sworn she would never enjoy a desk job in her life, but something was different about this job. It was a small work staff, and everyone was friendly but still kept to themselves. She also had a lot to do all day, and she had never realized how interesting court cases would be. She found herself reading through old files multiple times, amazed at how Joohyun had managed to win some of the most seemingly impossible cases. Seungwan hoped at some point she would be required to attend a trial with Joohyun, simply so she could finally understand how she dominated a courtroom when she seemed so reserved, quiet, and gentle in the office.

 

The clock on Seungwan’s desk told her it was already a few minutes past five, but she kept reading the file she was on. Sooyoung’s office door opened and Sooyoung left, going to Seulgi’s office and waiting by the door until Seulgi came out and joined her. They went together to Joohyun’s door, telling her goodbye, and then left the office, waving to Seungwan and Yerim as they went. Yerim left shortly after, saying goodbye to Joohyun and Seungwan in her cheery voice before heading out the door. Seungwan kept reading, ignoring the clock and the empty office signaling it was time for her to go home. Home was such a dreary place, her cramped, three room apartment made her sad. She longed for the house from her childhood at times, though she loved the city.

 

“Your shift ended sixteen minutes ago.” Joohyun’s voice made Seungwan jump. She turned around in her chair and saw Joohyun standing just outside her office door. Seungwan wondered how long Joohyun had been watching her. “Though I’m not one to talk, I always stay here far too late.”

 

Seungwan laughed nervously, turning her chair to face Joohyun. “I was just reading through some of your older case files. They’re really interesting”

 

“You have an interest in law?” Joohyun asked, coming and standing beside Seungwan’s desk. Joohyun’s presence beside her made Seungwan’s heart thrum a little faster.

 

“I didn’t until I started working here.” Seungwan explained. “I’ve never been in a courtroom, not even for jury duty. It’s fascinating to me. I don’t know how you deal with such awful cases.”

 

“I like to help people.” Joohyun answered simply. She looked down at Seungwan, her head tilted to one side, like she was contemplating something. “I have a sentencing for a trial next Monday, if you’d like to accompany me I would be more than happy to bring you along.”

 

“Is that allowed?” Seungwan asked, feeling a little dumb for having to ask.

 

“Yes, of course. A lot of lawyers bring their secretaries or assistants to take notes and observe.” Joohyun explained. “Would you like to come?”

 

“I would love to.” Seungwan said, which made Joohyun smile widely.

 

“The trial is at one thirty. We could leave a bit early and get lunch before we go.” Joohyun suggested, her voice soft and honey sounding. It made Seungwan feel calm and nervous all at once.

 

“That sounds nice.” Seungwan said, smiling back at Joohyun. “Thank you for taking me along.”

 

“Of course.” Joohyun answered. “You should get going.”

 

“So should you.” Seungwan pointed out, which made Joohyun chuckle.

 

“You’re being very bold today, Seungwan-ah. I’m not sure what’s gotten into to you.” She said lightheartedly. “But I much prefer it when you’re not so nervous.” Seungwan laughed a little with Joohyun as she shut the computer down and began packing her things up.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Miss Bae.” Seungwan said, grinning. Joohyun walked her to the door, pulling it open for her.

 

“See you tomorrow. Have a good evening.” Joohyun said back. Seungwan headed out the door and went towards the stairs. She kept waiting to hear the click signaling Joohyun had shut the door but it never came, and she knew Joohyun was watching her leave from the doorway.