Chapter Sixteen

Sweet Like Honey

Seungwan stirred late Sunday morning, half woken and dazed, feeling warmth surrounding her. Her eyes fluttered open partly, roaming until they landed on the figure curled up on her chest. Joohyun was still fast asleep, her cheek pressed against the fabric of Seungwan’s sleep shirt, looking peaceful and relaxed. Her left arm was draped over Seungwan’s torso and her hair was splayed out on the white sheets behind her. Seungwan let out a content sigh as the memories of the previous night came flooding back into her mind. She thought of their first kiss, and the many kisses after that, and as she looked at Joohyun she felt as if her heart was swelling with affection. She leaned forward and pressed a delicate kiss to Joohyun’s forehead, and then her nose and her cheek. Joohyun opened her eyes, the relaxed look still on her face.

 

    “Good morning, sunshine.” She murmured, her voice thick with sleep. Seungwan could swear she’s never heard anything more beautiful.

 

    “Morning,” Seungwan replied, watching Joohyun with a smile on her face.

 

    “What?” Joohyun said, smiling too as her gaze leveled with Seungwan’s.

 

    “Hm?” Seungwan asked.

 

    “Why are you looking at me like that?” Joohyun clarified, which made Seungwan laugh a little.

 

    “Because you’re cute.” She answered. Joohyun propped her chin up on her hand so she could look at Seungwan more easily. She smiled, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to Seungwan’s cheek. “So…” Seungwan began, toying with the ends of Joohyun’s hair, running it through her fingers. “Does this mean we’re girlfriends now?”

 

    “If you’d like us to be.” Joohyun said softly, almost sounding shy. “I just hope you know I’ve never done anything like this before, dating another woman I mean. I’m not out to anybody except for you.”

 

    “I know, and I’m okay with all of that.” Seungwan reassured her. “Take all of this at your own pace. I’m not in any rush.”

 

    “You’re too kind to me, Wan-ah.” Joohyun murmured, a shy smile on her lips.

 

    “No, you deserve it.” Seungwan tucked a loose bit of hair behind Joohyun’s ear, cupping her face in her hand briefly as she pulled away. “I’m just happy to be with you, in whatever way that may be.”

 

    Joohyun kissed her then, a honey sweet kiss that made Seungwan a little dizzy. “You’re an angel, I swear.” Joohyun whispered. Seungwan smiled, kissing her again for a brief moment.

 

    “What are your plans today?” She asked.

 

    “Seulgi, Sooyoung, and I were supposed to go and get lunch.” Joohyun said with a sigh. “I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if you came along.”

 

    “Oh no, I wouldn’t intrude on your guys’ thing like that.” Seungwan replied. “Besides, Yeri and I had plans today.”

 

    “Oh that’s nice.” Joohyun commented with a kind smile. “You two are close, aren’t you?”

 

    “Yeah, she’s like a little sister to me.” Seungwan replied.

 

    “That’s good. I think she needs someone to look out for her, since she’s always looking after her younger sisters.” Joohyun said in her soft way. She pecked Seungwan on the forehead and slipped out of the bed, saying, “I should probably get going, so I can change and make it to meet Seul and Sooyoung.”

 

    Seungwan followed her out of bed, frowning slightly. “I’ll miss you.”

 

    “I’ll miss you too.” Joohyun sighed, her eyes warm. “We’ll see each other again tomorrow.”

 

    “Yeah, tomorrow.” Seungwan agreed. “Let me walk you to the door.” She took Joohyun’s hand, interlacing their fingers, and walked her out to the door. “Are you planning on telling them anything about this?” She wondered aloud.

 

    “I’m not sure.” Joohyun said honestly. “I probably should, but...I don’t know how.”

 

    “That’s okay, maybe another day.” Seungwan told her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. “I won’t tell Yeri anything then.”

 

    “Thank you for being so good about all of this.” Joohyun thanked in a grateful tone.

 

    “Of course, anything for you.” Seungwan kissed her cheek. “Have fun at lunch.”

 

    “Have fun with Yeri.” Joohyun said, stepping out into the hallway and waving a little as goodbye. Seungwan closed the door behind her, missing her already. She hadn’t expected Joohyun to stay the night, but neither of them had wanted to leave each other’s arms so they had gone to Seungwan’s room and fell asleep closely embraced. It was the best Seungwan had slept in a long time, and she knew falling asleep without Joohyun would be a struggle now.

 

    She went and got dressed to go to Yeri’s, excited to see her friend. She knew it would be hard to keep from telling Yeri everything that had happened with Joohyun but she would hold back, for Joohyun’s sake. She knew Joohyun needed to take things slowly, especially her coming out process. Seungwan didn’t want to think about the repercussions Joohyun would face from her mother because of their dating. She sighed, knowing the issue would be resolved one way or another, and headed out into the kitchen to slip her coat on and head out the door. She skipped down the steps and out the front door, the bitter March wind stinging her cheeks as she began the short walk to Yeri’s house. Yeri lived in one of the larger apartment complexes just outside of north city, so the walk was not a terrible one.

 

    It took Seungwan seven minutes to reach Yeri’s apartment building and she went to the front desk, telling the worker she was here to see the Kim’s. The woman buzzed her up and Seungwan ran up the stairs, knocking on the door of Yeri’s apartment. Yeri opened the door with a bright grin and let Seungwan inside. “How’s your weekend been, unnie?” She asked cheerfully.

 

    “Good.” Seungwan answered, thinking of her night with Joohyun.

 

    “That’s good!” Yeri replied, leading Seungwan off to her room.

 

    “How’s yours been?” Seungwan asked in return. Yeri pushed open her bedroom door.

 

    “Really good. I finally got PUBG and I’m gonna start playing it soon. Plus, I finished my last paper for my Advanced Financing course.” She sighed, sitting on the edge of her bed. “I’m so close to graduating, I just want to be done already.”

 

    “Yeah, I get it. Only one more month!” Seungwan said encouragingly.

 

    “Oh, by the way, I’m getting tickets for Miss Bae, Miss Kang, and Miss Park to come to the graduation ceremony, do you want me to get you a ticket as well?” Yeri asked.

 

    “Of course!” Seungwan answered easily. “Seeing you graduate will be awesome.”

 

    “Aw, thanks.” Yeri said. She paused a minute and then went, “You seem extra happy today. Did something happen?”

 

    “What?” Seungwan was nervous now; she hadn’t thought Yeri would suspect anything.

 

    “I don’t know, you just seem...brighter.” Yeri tried to explain. “Did you get laid?”

 

    “No!” Seungwan felt her cheeks flush.

 

    “I think you’re lying.” Yeri teased, laughing. “Your red cheeks are giving you away.”

 

    “I did not get laid, Yerim.” Seungwan said firmly, which only made Yeri laugh more.

 

    “Whatever you say, Seungwan unnie.” Yeri said in a sing song voice. Seungwan rolled her eyes. “How’s apartment hunting been going?”

 

    “It’s alright.” Seungwan replied with a sigh. “I haven’t really loved any of the ones I’ve seen yet.”

 

    “That’s okay, you’ll find the right one soon.” Yeri assured her. “And if you ever need a roommate, I am more than willing to do that.” Seungwan laughed at that and Yeri grinned at her.

 

    “Have you thought anymore about whether you’ll stay at the firm after graduation?” Seungwan asked. On one hand, she hoped Yeri would stay on, as she liked seeing her friend everyday and she knew Seulgi enjoyed having Yeri as a secretary. But on the other hand, she knew Yeri’s dream was to start her own business, and she wanted to watch her friend pursue her goals and succeed in them.

 

    Yeri sighed, “I don’t know. I’m so torn. My mom thinks it’s a dumb idea to quit such a good job to do something so risky, but I didn’t major in business for nothing.”

 

    “You could talk to Miss Kang about it.” Seungwan suggested.

 

    “Hm, I never thought of that. Maybe I will.” Yeri considered the idea. “She always knows what to do in tough situations.”

 

    “She seems like a problem solver.” Seungwan agreed.

 

    “Anyways, you wanna play a video game?” Yeri asked, and Seungwan agreed, so they spent much of their afternoon playing games and joking around. Seungwan loved Yeri, and it stung a little not to be able to tell her about the fact she had gotten a girlfriend, but she understood Joohyun’s hesitation. She was struggling with being open and the least Seungwan could do was respect that. She would wait forever if it meant she could keep loving Joohyun and know Joohyun loves her in return.