Chapter Twenty-Four

Sweet Like Honey

 

    The next morning, Seungwan awoke to Joohyun sitting on the edge of the bed, peering down at her. “Well hello there, sleepyhead.” Joohyun teased in a gentle voice.

 

    “What time is it?” Seungwan asked in a hoarse voice.

 

    “Just past noon.” Joohyun told her. She picked up a glass of water from the bedside table and handed it to Seungwan. “Sip off this.”

 

    “Did I get drunk or something? I have a killer headache.” Seungwan laughed, wincing when it made her head pound even more. She took a big gulp of the water.

 

    “You were a bit tipsy last night, but not wasted or anything.” Joohyun sighed.

 

    “I didn’t do anything embarrassing did I?” Seungwan felt her cheeks heat at even the mere thought of doing anything cringe worthy in front of Joohyun.

 

    “No, you were just very whiny.” Joohyun said. “And very honest.”

 

    “Oh god, what does that mean?” Seungwan sipped from the water again, hoping it would help her headache.

 

    “You told me I’m your home.” Joohyun smiled softly while she spoke. “And you said ‘I love you’ for the first time.”

 

    “And what did you say back?” Seungwan was scared to ask.

 

    “I told you I loved you too and then made you go to sleep.” Joohyun said easily, which made Seungwan feel a lot less worried. She had known deep down her feelings of love were reciprocated in the same intensity, but it was nice to know it.

 

    “That isn’t exactly the most romantic way of saying ‘I love you’ for the first time, I’m sorry.” Seungwan said half jokingly, though she knew there was some truth to it. She had been planning on finding the perfect time to say it, but it had just slipped out drunkenly.

 

    “It was sweet, and besides, it’s not like it’s the last time you’ll ever say it.” Joohyun reassured her. “Or at least I hope not.”

 

    “Definitely not.” Seungwan confirmed, leaning up and kissing Joohyun. She secured her fingers in Joohyun’s long hair, her other hand gripping onto her leg. Joohyun placed both her hands on Seungwan’s shoulders as she kissed her back. “I love you.” Seungwan whispered against Joohyun’s lips.

 

    “I love you too, my angel.” Joohyun murmured back, kissing her again briefly before pulling back to stand up. “Do you want painkillers for your headache?”

 

    “Sure.” Seungwan slid out of bed and followed Joohyun to the bathroom. Joohyun took a bottle of painkillers out of the cabinet and handed it over to Seungwan, who shook three capsules out and popped them into , swallowing them easily.

 

    “Good god, Seungwan.” Joohyun said, looking shocked. “How can you do that without water?”

 

    “Lots of practice from hangovers in high school.” Seungwan answered with a slightly cheeky grin on her face. “You were probably too busy being the valedictorian or student council president or something.”

 

    “Both, actually.” Joohyun laughed. “I didn’t do anything that crazy in high school.”

 

    “Boring.” Seungwan teased as she headed back to the bed, sitting on the edge. Joohyun joined her, giving her a glare for the comment. “I mean, I did other stuff too, I was in band and drama club. I was just also known for being a little wild on the weekends.”

 

    “Please don’t tell me you did any hard drugs.” Joohyun said, making Seungwan laugh.

 

    “God no! Only weed, and that was once or twice.” Seungwan sighed. “What did you do on your weekends, miss goody two shoes?”

 

    “I can still fire you, you know that right?” Joohyun joked, poking Seungwan in the side. “I studied, or Seulgi and I would do something. I had fun! Just legal fun.”

 

    “Pfft.” Seungwan scoffed. “Let me guess, you were a popular girl weren’t you?”

 

    “People liked me, I guess.” Joohyun said, though the way she said it made it sound like an understatement. “But Seulgi was the only person I was really close to.”

 

    “Aw.” Seungwan said. “I didn’t have a close group of friends or anything, just the people I’d go to parties with. I had a girlfriend very briefly but it ended bad.” She laughed a little. “It’s funny to think about now.”

 

    “You’ve known you were gay that long?” Joohyun asked in a quiet voice. Seungwan nodded.

 

    “What, did you have a boyfriend in high school?” She asked, curious. She couldn’t imagine Joohyun like that, dating a boy, pretending to love him.

 

    “Sadly, yes.” Joohyun rolled her eyes. “My freshman year I dated a junior, but then I broke up with him to ‘focus on my studies.’” She chuckled. “I really just felt sick everytime we kissed and couldn’t stand it anymore.”

 

    “Well look how far you’ve come.” Seungwan pointed out. “I’m proud of you for being yourself. That’s a huge difference even from when we first met. I can’t imagine how it must feel to you.”

 

    “It’s freeing.” Joohyun remarked. “I finally feel like I’m actually living.” Seungwan smiled at her. “Seulgi said she’d started noticing I was different even before she knew we were together. She said I seemed happier.” Joohyun gave a small smile. “I am much happier.”

 

    “I’m glad.” Seungwan said. “So am I. I was miserable before I started working at the firm, but now I’ve got everything turned around. I can actually pay my bills, I’ll be able to afford a better apartment soon.”

 

    “That’s wonderful.” Joohyun said, her voice genuine. “I hated to see you struggle so much.”

 

    “I didn’t realize you knew how bad it was before I told you.” Seungwan commented.

 

    “I just figured, since you didn’t bring a lunch or money to pay for one, you had no car and didn’t bus to work, you didn’t have a decent winter coat.” Joohyun explained. “It was the least I could do to help you.”

 

    “You have the kindest soul.” Seungwan whispered, making Joohyun blush. “Really, I don’t know where I’d be without you.”

 

    “The same to you. I don’t know what I would do if I did not have you.” Joohyun said softly. Seungwan took her hand and they both smiled at one another, both feeling thankful for the luck of fate that brought them together.

 

~

 

    April moved into May, which moved into June peacefully. The new system was set into place, with Seungwan and Yeri sharing secretarial duties during the mornings and Seungwan running things by herself during the afternoon. She enjoyed having more to do, it kept her occupied longer and she was learning more about other forms of law through dealing with Seulgi and Sooyoung’s cases as well as Joohyun’s. Yeri had found a small place in a plaza at the border of center city and north city where she was planning on opening a small bakery.

 

    It was nearing five o’clock in the middle of the week and Seungwan was stationed at her new, larger desk in the center of the office, a phone tucked against her ear as she typed away rapidly, listening intently to the voice on the other end of the line. She tapped her foot to a rhythm stuck in her head as she typed, fingers flying over the keys easily. When she thought about it, she was much more satisfied with this kind of job than she had ever anticipated being. She had always thought her job would be making music in some shape or form, but now she thinks it might be all the better that stayed a hobby. Especially considering she loves working at the firm, loves meeting new clients everyday and learning new things about law.

 

    “I’ll send the files Miss Kang’s way and she’ll call you tomorrow.” Seungwan said to the client on the phone. “Okay, have a good night. Buh-bye.” The door to the office pushed open and Yeri came in, carrying a stack of small papers , her hair tied up in a messy knot. She smiled at seeing Seungwan. “Well it’s not typical to see you here this late anymore.” Seungwan remarked, leaning for to rest her chin in her hands.

 

    “I came to drop something off to you guys.” Yeri explained with a grin. She took one of the papers, which turned out not to be a paper at all but a picture. The picture of the five of them from Yeri’s graduation day. “My mom got a bunch of photos printed, so I asked her to print you all a copy of this one.”

 

    “That’s so sweet Yeri, thank you.” Seungwan said with a genuine smile. She studied the picture, remembering that day, savoring the way it had been captured perfectly how happy they all were. Yeri grinned at her and headed off to Seulgi’s office, presumably to deliver the other photos. Seungwan readied herself to leave, still clutching the photo as she walked to Joohyun’s office and pushed the door open to go inside. Joohyun was typing at her computer, glasses slipping down the bridge of her nose as they perpetually seemed to do. Seungwan came up to her and pushed the glasses back up, startling Joohyun.

 

    “Oh!” She gasped softly, her eyes wide. “You scared me.”

 

    “You should be used to it by now, considering how jumpy you are.” Seungwan teased, kissing the tip of Joohyun’s nose before pulling back. “Your glasses were slipping.”

 

    “They always are.” Joohyun sighed, closing her file and shutting the computer down. “What have you got there?”

 

    “The picture from Yeri’s graduation day.” Seungwan replied as they left the office, hand in hand. “She printed one for everybody.” As she said this, Yeri came bustling over to them to hand Joohyun her copy.

 

    “I have to rush back to the shop, but here you go! Thank you again, for everything.” Yeri smiled sheepishly and Joohyun returned her grin. Yeri ran off, back out the door. Joohyun peered down at the photo, studying it intently.

 

    “It’s a very nice picture.” She sounded lost in thought, running her fingers over the photo. Sighing, she tore her gaze away from the picture. “Let’s get going.” Seungwan nodded, and they walked out of the office and down to the parking lot. Joohyun drove Seungwan to her apartment building, parking in the spot she had claimed as hers long ago.

 

    “I think I finally found the picture to put in my frame.” Seungwan said thoughtfully.

 

    “This is the one?” Joohyun asked with a giggle. “It only took you six months to pick one.”

 

    “Oh hush.” Seungwan laughed. “It’s the perfect picture!” She sighed. “I guess I shouldn’t hang it up yet though, if I’m going to be moving soon anyways.”

 

    “Have you chosen an apartment?” Joohyun bit her bottom lip, not meeting Seungwan’s gaze.

 

    “No.” Seungwan sounded solemn. “None of them feel right.”

 

There was a few moments of silence between them and then Joohyun blurted out, “Just move in with me.”

 

“Huh?” Seungwan gave her a confused look, assuming she heard her wrong.

 

“Move into my apartment with me.” Joohyun said again, looking nervous but carrying on. “You stay there practically every night anyways, and you haven’t liked any of the apartments you’ve looked at so far and there’s more than enough room for your things and…” Joohyun stopped suddenly, her cheeks rosy as her nerves caught up with her. When she spoke again her voice trembled. “It’s like you said that night… You’re my home too, Seungwan. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, which sounds so foolish after only three months together but I just-”

 

“Yes.” Seungwan cut her off and Joohyun stumbled on her words, looking at her confused.

 

“What?” Joohyun whispered.

 

“Yes, I’ll move in with you.” Seungwan clarified, taking Joohyun’s hands in her own. “So what if we’ve only officially been together for three months? I’ve loved you so much longer, and I don’t want to go another night not being with you.” Joohyun smiled, her eyes alight, and she kissed Seungwan hard, their foreheads knocking together slightly. They sighed against each others lips, their kiss a passionate one still filled with love. It was almost as though they were finalizing the deal, deciding once and for all they would be taking this step together. Seungwan had never felt anything as heavenly as kissing Joohyun, and she knew she would never find that bliss in anything else either.