Chapter Twenty-Three

Sweet Like Honey

 

April was a calm month, filled with rainy days and flowers beginning to bloom again. The office was pleasant, and work slowed down once the Davis trial finally came to a close. Joohyun won the case in the end, and the murderer was locked away for life, which Seungwan could tell took a huge weight off the victim’s family’s shoulders. They had all run to hug Joohyun at the sentencing, crying and saying their thanks. There would not be another big trial for Joohyun until the beginning of June, so things had slowed considerably. Joohyun and Seungwan spent most days together, sometimes with the rest of their colleagues, but alone a lot of the time too. There never seemed to be a dull moment; Seungwan enjoyed every second they spent with one another. They had been together just over a month, though it felt much longer.

 

Yeri’s graduation from college was rapidly approaching, which meant she had to make a decision about whether to stay working at the firm or not. One day, a week away from her graduation, Seulgi and Joohyun called an office meeting to discuss the situation. They all crowded in the waiting room, listening intently as Seulgi explained.

 

“So we all know our little Yeri is graduating college next week.” Seulgi began, a proud smile on her face. Yeri rolled her eyes at the little comment, though she grinned as well. “And she’s been considering leaving the firm to pursue something with her business degree.”

 

“Which we’ll fully support no matter what,” Joohyun chimed in softly. “But we have an idea that might make the decision easier.” Yeri looked at them with a confused expression.

 

“We thought of a way for you to open your own business and stay at the firm until it’s settled and it seems like things are working out.” Seulgi went on. “We’re going to make some changes in the way the secretarial system runs. We’re going to be promoting you and Seungwan both to executive assistants, which means you’ll be sharing the duties of full time secretaries for the entire office. So no person specific secretaries, and you’ll both be paid much more than before.” Seulgi paced as she explained. “Yeri, you would only have to work part time, whether that only be a few days a week or only in the mornings or afternoons, whatever works best for you. We can work the scheduling out later.”

 

“Is this new system okay with the both of you?” Joohyun asked, looking between Yeri and Seungwan.

 

“We would both be answering phones and doing paperwork for all three of you?” Seungwan wondered, trying to wrap her head around the concept. Seulgi and Joohyun both nodded. “Interesting.”

 

“You would really let me do that?” Yeri asked in a hushed voice. “Only work part time and still get paid well?”

 

“Of course.” Seulgi said. “We’d all miss you too much if you left forever, and we figured this would be a good compromise.”

 

“Thank you so much.” Yeri ran to hug Seulgi, and then Joohyun, her eyes tearing up slightly. She went to Seungwan next, saying gleefully, “We get to work together now!”

 

“Yeah!” Seungwan grinned, Yeri’s joy contagious. “We’ll be a great team.” They high fived, smiles wreathing their faces.

 

“I’m so glad this will all work out.” Joohyun remarked. Seungwan had been hesitant at first to change her routine, what she was used to doing, but knowing this was the way to keep Yeri at the firm made her much more open to it. She was excited to start this new chapter of working, knowing it would only be one week more before this change was set into motion.

 

~

 

“Welcome to the graduation of the Center City University class of two thousand and eighteen!”

 

The theater seats were filled with people waiting anxiously to watch whoever they were there to see cross the stage and receive their diploma. Seungwan, Joohyun, Seulgi, and Sooyoung sat in a row, listening as the announcer said the name of the valedictorian and stepped down to let them make their speech. Seungwan took Joohyun’s hand and she felt Joohyun squeeze gently, their silent signal, saying I’ve got you. The valedictorian’s speech was brief, and then they began calling names.

 

“I’m going to cry, I’m so proud of her!” Seulgi gushed. “I remember when she first came to the firm, I was so nervous to let a college student intern but she did so well. I don’t know what the firm would be like without her.”

 

“She makes it a brighter place.” Sooyoung added, to which all of them agreed.

 

The announcer called out, “Kim Yerim, graduating with honors and a double degree in Business and Communications.”

 

Seungwan, Joohyun, Seulgi, and Sooyoung all cheered for her, and she found them in the crowd up on the stage, smiling widely at them. It felt as though every moment since October had been building until this moment, this solitary second in time where they all came together to support the youngest member of their little family, so unified in their joy for her. Seungwan had never known what it was like to have people supporting her and people to support; she had felt alone for twenty eight years but she knew now she would never have to be alone like that again. She had wonderful friends and had found someone she adored with all of her heart. She knew life was moving forward in a good way, not just for her but for all of them.

 

After the ceremony concluded, they met Yeri outside the theater. Her parents and sisters were already crowded around her, hugging her and congratulating her. Yeri was grinning at them, tears welling in her eyes. It was a big day for her; she’d been telling Seungwan for months about how long she’d been waiting for this moment, how it finally felt like every night of missed sleep to write a paper or saying no to something fun so she could study would be paying off. Yeri’s eyes lit up when she saw her colleagues approaching, and she said, “Hi guys!” She introduced them all to her parents and sisters, who shook their hands and smiled at them. Seungwan was already familiar with them, considering she had been in Yeri’s house many times before, and they all gave her a big hug.

 

“Let me get a picture of you girls all together!” Yeri’s mother said, waving them together. Sooyoung and Seulgi went on either side of Yeri, arms around her back. Seungwan and Joohyun filed in beside Sooyoung, both smiling at the camera. Seungwan slid her arms around Joohyun’s waist and leaned into her as the picture was snapped. “Beautiful!” Yeri’s mother declared, a warm smile on her face. “Why don’t you join us for dinner? We’re going to that nice place down the street.”

 

“You guys have to come, it’ll be so fun!” Yeri chimed in, smiling. It was easy to agree, and they all began walking as a group down the street to the restaurant.

 

Once they were seated, Yeri’s family at one end, her colleagues at the other, with Yeri in the middle of it all, Seungwan leaned over to Yeri and said, “I’m so proud of you.”

 

Yeri smiled, clearly touched. “Thank you so much.”

 

“We’re all very proud of you.” Joohyun added, to which Seulgi and Sooyoung nodded. “None of us ever thought we’d be so attached to Seulgi’s little intern but you made your way into all of our hearts.”

 

“Hey, now I’m out of college you can stop the little jokes!” Yeri teased, making them all laugh. “I love you guys so much.” She said in a more serious tone.

 

“We love you too.” Seulgi answered for the table, putting a hand on Yeri’s shoulder and squeezing gently.

 

“Let’s make a toast.” Sooyoung suggested, raising her glass. “To Yeri’s success.”

 

“May life bring you amazing things.” Seulgi added on, raising her own glass.

 

“Here’s hoping your business goes well.” Joohyun said, smiling, her glass joining Seulgi and Sooyoung’s.

 

“I hope we all get to keep you around forever.” Seungwan put her glass up with the others.

 

Yeri raised her own glass, saying, “You’re all stuck with me.” They all laughed softly, chorusing their cheers and clinking glasses, going silent as they sipped.

 

When they left the restaurant later that night, Seungwan was significantly tipsier than she had been before entering. She was stationed in the passenger seat of Joohyun’s car as they drove away from the theater, and she leaned against the car door to watch Joohyun as she drove.

 

“Where am I taking you?” Joohyun asked her in a soft voice. “Home, or my place?”

 

“Hm?” Seungwan blinked a few times, registering the question. She wasn’t wasted, but everything felt a little fuzzy. “Home?”

 

“You say that like a question.” Joohyun chuckled.

 

“Well yeah.” Seungwan almost felt as though there was cotton in , like she couldn’t wrap her brain around the words she was saying. “That apartment isn’t home.”

 

“Then what is?” Joohyun asked her gently.

 

“You.” The word made Joohyun smile in the way she only seemed to smile at Seungwan. They stopped at a red light.

 

“You’re very sweet.” Joohyun remarked, reaching over and brushing a few strands of Seungwan’s hair out of her face. “And very tipsy it seems.”

 

“Maybe.” Seungwan sighed, grinning. The light turned green and Joohyun turned left down the street that led to her apartment, which Seungwan was grateful for. She did not want to spend the night, or any night ever again for that matter, without Joohyun. Once they were parked safely, in Joohyun’s garage, Seungwan opened her door and stepped out. She was immediately hit with a feeling of dizziness, and didn’t regain focus until she felt Joohyun’s hand closing on her arm, steadying her.

 

“Whoa there.” Joohyun murmured. “Come on, let’s get inside.”

 

“I overdid it.” Seungwan deadpanned, which made Joohyun laugh.

 

“At least you’re self aware.” Joohyun said as she led Seungwan through the door and towards the steps, taking each step slowly so Seungwan would not stumble. Once they reached her bedroom, she gave Seungwan her usual pair of pajamas to put on and went to change herself. Seungwan slid the familiar clothing on and went right to the bed, getting under the covers and sighing, waiting for Joohyun to join her. Joohyun came out of the bathroom and her eyes fell on Seungwan under the covers. “You look so cute bundled up like that.”

 

“Come here.” Seungwan whined, reaching her arms out and motioning for Joohyun to come to her. Joohyun obliged, sliding under the covers and pulling Seungwan into her arms, feeling Seungwan sigh against her. “Better.” Joohyun smiled and ran her hands gently over Seungwan’s back. “Hey.” Seungwan abruptly looked up at Joohyun, her eyes looking clearer than they had previously.

 

“Hm?” Joohyun asked absentmindedly.

 

“I love you.” Seungwan whispered, looking away with a shy grin on her lips.

 

Joohyun kissed her cheek and murmured, “I love you too. Now get some sleep.” Seungwan settled back into her position in Joohyun’s arms, head on her chest and arms wrapped around her, letting sleep pull her in.