Chapter Seven

Sweet Like Honey

Seungwan spent her morning at work anxiously awaiting noon, when she and Joohyun would leave the office to go down to the courthouse. At noon exactly, Joohyun came out of her office, donning her coat and scarf again, and came up beside Seungwan’s desk. “Are you ready to go, Seungwan-ah?” She asked.

 

    “Yes ma’am.” Seungwan smiled up at Joohyun. Joohyun picked the black coat up off the back of Seungwan’s chair and held it up for Seungwan to slide her arms into.

 

She placed a gentle hand on the small of Seungwan’s back and led her to the door, turning and calling out, “We’re heading to the sentencing!”

 

“Good luck, Miss Bae!” Yeri called back, giving her a thumbs up.

 

Joohyun smiled at her, saying in a kind way, “Thank you, Yerim.” She held the door open to let Seungwan step out first and followed her out, shutting the door quietly. Seungwan watched her walk towards the stairs, long black hair flowing down her back, swaying slightly as she walked. Seungwan hurried after her, biting her lip nervously. Soon they were back in the warmth of Joohyun’s car, moving down the road at a very stop and go pace. The roads were much busier now than they had been that morning. Stuck at a red light, Joohyun took her hands off the steering wheel a moment, running her fingers through her hair and securing it behind her ear. She let out a soft sigh.

 

“Are you nervous?” Seungwan asked her.

 

“Not particularly.” Joohyun replied easily. The light turned green and she slowly began to inch forward again. “I’m more nervous for the victim and her family than anything else.” Joohyun held the steering wheel in only her left hand and rested her right elbow on the center console.

 

“What is the case about?” Seungwan pressed on with her questioning. Joohyun moved into a left turn lane and waited behind another car to make the turn.

 

“My client was by an older boy at her college.” Joohyun answered, her voice distant and professional. “Her, along with many other girls, testified against him. Today, we will find out whether he will be charged with the counts against him or if he’ll walk free. Myself and his defense attorney will be giving closing statements and the victims will be giving their victim impact statements.”

 

Seungwan let out a low breath, unsure what to say. It was still a marvel to her how Joohyun could handle these kinds of cases, how she could handle being the one burdened with getting criminals locked away. “You’re a damn saint.” Seungwan said softly. “I couldn’t imagine taking on such a huge responsibility, but you do it everyday. Do you know how many people must consider you their hero?”

 

“You speak too highly of me, Seungwan-ah. I’m just doing my job.” Joohyun dismissed her compliment in a quiet tone, different from the one she generally spoke with. She sounded more reserved, almost far away in a sense. They arrived to a sort of upscale looking restaurant and Joohyun parked in front of the building. She quickly came around the other side of the car and opened Seungwan’s door for her, giving her a hand to help her step down more gently onto the curb. They made their way into the restaurant together and were seated swiftly in a booth near the back. Seungwan held her gaze on Joohyun as the older woman began peering at her menu, studying her small mannerisms. She watched Joohyun set her chin her hand, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side. Her eyes flicked rapidly back and forth, her cheeks still dusted pink from the frigid air outside. “What?” Joohyun’s voice brought Seungwan out of her reverie. She realized a moment too late she had been caught staring.

 

“Nothing, sorry.” Seungwan muttered, looking away and down to her own menu. They ordered drinks shortly after - water with lemon for Joohyun, iced tea for Seungwan - and silence fell over them again.

 

“You’re awfully quiet, Seungwan.” Joohyun commented, tracing the rim of her glass of water with her fingernail.

 

“Lost in thought.” Seungwan replied, which was not a lie. She had been thinking about how much her life had been reshaped even in just the course of a week. She went from having no friends to having four colleagues who she cared very much for and considered friends. She went from struggling to keep any food in fridge to being stocked up for the week. Life was finally looking up for her, and it all seemed to be thanks to the woman across from her.

 

“What were you thinking about?” Joohyun inquired. Seungwan looked up to meet her eyes.

 

“How I’m enjoying my new job.” She answered, simplifying all she was feeling at the moment.

 

Joohyun smiled. “I’m glad you like your position. I enjoy having you in the office.” Their conversation was interrupted briefly as the waitress took their orders, and they chatted about mundane things until their food arrived. They fell silent as they ate.

 

“I feel so bad that you keep paying for my lunch.” Seungwan said. “I have the money now, I can pay for my own.”

 

“Don’t be silly.” Joohyun countered softly. “I don’t mind in the slightest.”

 

“But it’s not fair of me to let you do that.” Seungwan insisted, guilt weighing heavily on her heart. She hated to let people do things for her.

 

“Please, Seungwan, just let me do you this kindness.” Joohyun met her eyes, and Seungwan could see the emotion in her gaze. “You have done more for me than you can understand, so please allow me to buy your lunch.”

 

“Now you’re the one speaking too highly of me.” Seungwan said in a lighthearted tone, hoping to steer the conversation back into less emotion filled territory. “I’m just doing my job.” Joohyun smiled half heartedly. They finished and paid for their lunch soon after that, and then they were on their way to the courthouse. It was nearing one o’clock, and they had to be in the courtroom at one fifteen for the sentencing at one thirty. Seungwan bounced her leg, an anxious habit she had tried to kick in high school but she had never quite been able to shake. “What am I expected to do during the sentencing?” She asked Joohyun, nerves evident in her voice.

 

“Take notes, I suppose.” Joohyun’s answer was vague, not enough to satisfy Seungwan’s curiosity.

 

“What did your other secretaries do?” She pressed her questioning, hoping to ease her anxieties.

 

“You’re the first secretary I’ve ever taken to court with me.” Joohyun told her as they pulled into the parking garage across the street from the courthouse.

 

“Really?” Seungwan asked, shock evident in her voice. She wasn’t sure what to do with that information. Joohyun simply nodded, parking the car and then exiting hastily. Seungwan met her in front of the car, and then the pair hurried off towards the exit and onto the sidewalk, waiting to cross the street. Joohyun put a hand on Seungwan’s back as they rushed across the busy street, guiding her, her hand warm against the fabric of Seungwan’s coat. The younger woman leaned ever so slightly into Joohyun’s touch, letting the gentle hand guide her towards the entrance of the imposing marble building. Joohyun did not remove her hand from Seungwan’s back even as they stepped inside, the rush of warm air hitting their chilled skin, making their cheeks smart.

 

“We’re going to go up to the third floor.” Joohyun informed Seungwan in her soft way, continuing to press her forward with a gentle push of her hand. They walked together towards the elevator, Joohyun pressing the up button with her free hand. The elevator doors opened, revealing an empty inside, which calmed Seungwan’s nerves slightly. She did not know what was the proper way to act in a situation like this; when she was at the office she didn’t feel pressured to be overly business like, as everyone was very friendly, but this sentencing was a huge deal and Seungwan worried she would not seem professional enough. The longer it was only herself and Joohyun, the better she felt. “You’re shaking life a leaf, Seungwan-ah.” Joohyun commented as the elevator dinged and came to a halt.

 

“I’m nervous.” Seungwan admitted as the doors slid open. Joohyun ran her hand up and down Seungwan’s back a few times in quick procession, attempting to comfort her.

 

“No need to be nervous. Just sit in the front row of the gallery and observe, or take notes if you’d like.” Joohyun assured her warmly. They walked up to the door of courtroom A3 and Seungwan managed to take a shuddering breath. “You’ll be my good luck charm today.”

 

“I have awful luck, Miss Bae.” Seungwan deadpanned, to which Joohyun let out a soft, melodic laugh. The sound made Seungwan feel more at ease.

 

“Here, follow me inside.” Joohyun said, still smiling slightly. Seungwan noticed her smile was slightly crooked, and it made it all the more appealing. Joohyun pushed the heavy wooden door open, striding confidently inside, glancing behind her to assure Seungwan was following. She walked up to the table on the right from the judge’s perspective. Her client was already waiting there for her; it was a young girl, couldn’t be older than twenty one, who was trembling slightly but managed to smile at Joohyun as she approached. “How are you doing today?” Joohyun asked the young woman.

 

“I’ve already thrown up once.” The girl answered honestly.

 

“That’s alright, nerves are understandable.” Joohyun said back, placing a hand on her client’s shoulder and squeezing gently to comfort her. “No matter what happens today, you should be proud of yourself. It isn’t an easy thing to speak up, and that’s very brave of you.”

 

“Thank you.” Her client said shakily. She looked behind Joohyun to Seungwan, a puzzled expression on her face.

 

“Oh dear, I forgot the introductions.” Joohyun exclaimed in her quiet manner. “Seungwan, this is my client Georgia. Georgia, this is my secretary Seungwan. She’ll be observing the sentencing today.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Seungwan extended a hand first. Georgia shook her hand, her grip tight.

 

“Likewise.” Georgia said.

 

People were filing into the courtroom at a rapid rate, and Joohyun quickly checked the watch on her wrist. “It’s nearly one thirty. Seungwan, go ahead to the gallery.” She instructed, to which Seungwan promptly obliged, weaving around the table and sitting in the row behind Joohyun and Georgia. The judge entered the courtroom at one thirty on the dot, and everyone stood as she walked in. She was tall and slender with dark skin and had her hair woven into a bun on the top of her head.

 

“You may be seated.” She said, her voice commanding. Everyone sat, as did the judge herself. “Bring in the defendant.” She was curt and to the point. Seungwan hoped desperately that she would sympathize with Georgia, since she was also a woman. The defendant and his lawyer entered, and Seungwan saw Georgia immediately recoil. Joohyun held a hand out, which Georgia gripped tightly. “Today will be the sentencing for Peter Marshall, accused of three counts of , two counts of attempted , and the possession of ography.” The counts against Peter rang in Seungwan’s ears, making her stomach turn. “We will hear the closing statements from the prosecutor and the defendant, as well as the victim’s statement. Would the prosecutor please stand and make your closing remarks.”

 

Joohyun stood, shoulders back and jaw set, looking determined. She glided to the middle of the courtroom, looking almost regal in the way she moved, commanding the entire room with just the slightest movements. Seungwan watched her, encaptivated. She began her closing remarks, each word weighted carefully, sounding articulate and calculated. Each sentence was punctuated with hand movements, and she spoke almost directly to the defendant as she detailed his crimes. Seungwan finally understood exactly what every article about Joohyun’s skills meant; she was cold, calculated, and commanding. Everyone in the room was hanging off her every word, it was impossible to turn away. She appealed to the room’s every emotion, while herself staying calm and collected. She never once raised her voice or inflicted her tone with rage, only cruel, deserved bitterness. When she was finished, the courtroom fell deafeningly silent as she took her seat.

 

Seungwan was hardly listening to the defendant’s closing remarks, she couldn’t stop watching Joohyun. She had never imagined that her boss could be so cold and unforgiving, though she agreed it was deserving when directed at the defendant. All she had ever seen of Joohyun was her warmth, her sweet smiles and soft, quiet laughs, had only known her boss to be the kind to offer a jacket, or a ride. Something about this side of Joohyun fascinated Seungwan, she wanted to understand the polarity of Joohyun in the courtroom and Joohyun in the office. The difference was striking, and both sides of the woman were of equal interest to Seungwan. Everything about Joohyun was mesmerizing to her, from her articulated attacks in the courtroom right down to her barely noticeable crooked smile.

 

Georgia’s statement to the court was tear filled, causing nearly everyone to cry. Seungwan clasped her hands together, hoping desperately that Georgia would win and that her attacker would be locked away forever. She couldn’t imagine how Georgia must feel, and she could hardly comprehend how much faith was put in Joohyun to secure Georgia’s safety from this day forward. As Georgia walked back to her seat, shoulders shaking with barely concealed sobs, the judge surveyed the courtroom. There were a few long moments of silence that seemed to stretch for hours, but finally the judge spoke. “Would the defendant please rise?” He stood, looking ahead at the judge. “The court finds Peter Marshall guilty on all charges.” Georgia let out a gasp, like she had never imagined this would be the outcome. “He will be sentenced to ten years in prison, with no opportunity for parole.”

 

Everything seemed to move around them as the court was adjourned and the defendant was taken away. Joohyun and Georgia both stood, hugging tightly. “Congratulations.” Joohyun said to her client. “Does it feel freeing?” Georgia nodded, tears on her cheeks. “Your family is waiting for you at the back of the gallery, if you’d like to go and find them.”

 

“Thank you, for everything.” Georgia said, her voice hoarse. Joohyun gave her another hug before Georgia went to find her family.

 

Then, Joohyun turned to Seungwan. “Are you ready to go?” She asked, Seungwan nodded and they departed, going out the way they came, back down the elevator and out into the chilly October afternoon. Joohyun led the way into the parking garage and back to her car. They sat for a moment with the car started but not moving. “Was that what you expected?” Joohyun inquired, studying Seungwan.

 

“Not at all.” Seungwan replied in a hushed voice. “It was intense.”

 

“That is one word for it.” Joohyun agreed, backing out of her spot and exiting the parking garage hastily.

 

“I have so much respect for what you do.” Seungwan said. “Your closing remarks were incredible.”

 

“Thank you, Seungwan-ah, you’re sweet.” Joohyun sounded almost embarrassed at the compliment. She rested her right arm on the center console as she had done earlier. “I enjoyed having you there.”

 

“I liked being there for you.” Seungwan immediately amended with, “I mean, to watch you.” They drove in silence for a few minutes, the business of the city rushing by, leaves falling from trees and littering the sidewalks. Subconsciously, Seungwan rested her left arm on the console and her fingers brushed against Joohyun’s briefly before she pulled her hand away, feeling mortified at her mistake. “Sorry.” She mumbled, huffing out a nervous breath and turning to look out her window. Joohyun said nothing the rest of the drive back to the office, and Seungwan wondered what she had been thinking about the accident for the rest of the day.